Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
This wasn't a prisoner exchange. Bergdahl was a deserter. Considered such by the Pentagon for years, which knew where he was but refused to risk troops to retrieve him, again, because he deserted.
If found to be a deserter, that does not mean he isnt also a prisoner. The 2 terms are not mutually exclusive.

2. Whether he was a deserter or not does not change the argument I was making, which is that nothing illegal happened by exchanging him. That was my point and that is what you responded to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 05:50 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Well, it appears this 'trade' accomplished two things - got an American 'detainee' (I can't even refer to him as a POW - at best he is a mental flake) returned - and eliminated that pesky problem of what to do with these hard-core fanatical Islamists who were impeding the closing of Guantanomo.

I'm not a bleeding-heart liberal. At the same time, I haven't voted GOP in decades.

That said, Lindsay Graham had it right last night. Essentially, the US has returned to Afghanistan their worst nightmares - five of them. Expect a regression back to the days of public stonings and all the other horrors these people perpetrate.

Anyone who believes these five, hard-core fanatics won't continue to promote aggressively their beliefs attempt to weaken Afghan's shaky government is beyond naive. Leopards don't change their spots - and especially these guys.

What was the alternative to keeping them in Guantanomo - a firing squad?? I don't have the answers for this - but I'm pretty sure Bowe Bergdahl wasn't worth the price the Afghan people - and maybe the world - will be paying in the near future for this 'trade.' The Afghanees have to be so demoralized at this point. Sad.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Congress gave Obama the keys to close it. Not that this will stop you from stating the same thing over and over.

President Obama Can Shut Guantanamo Whenever He Wants

Congress isn’t actually stopping him.

President Obama can shut Guantanamo whenever he wants to.
2 sentences into that Article

Quote:
President Obama can lawfully release the detainees if he wants to. Congress has made it difficult, but not impossible. ........The NDAA does not, however, ban the president from releasing detainees. Section 1028 authorizes him to release them to foreign countries that will accept them—the problem is that most countries won’t, and others, like Yemen, where about 90 of the 166 detainees are from, can’t guarantee that they will maintain control over detainees, as required by the law.
This is the "you can do what ever you want as long as you follow our impossible rules "Fallacy.
Not that your own link will stop you from repeating the same thing over and over again.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:53 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes I have heard the "broke the law" argument. You didnt add in the usual "that he signed in" statement.

#1 it was added to a larger bill
#2 he signed a signing statement at the time that he would not follow that as its unconstitutional
#3 Is he right? Looks like it. But if not Feel free to impeach him. If your reps dont do so then they either agree it was lawful, or feel it was a reasonable thing to do.

Which reps are those?

Old 06-05-2014, 05:56 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Well, it appears this 'trade' accomplished two things - got an American 'detainee' (I can't even refer to him as a POW - at best he is a mental flake) returned - and eliminated that pesky problem of what to do with these hard-core fanatical Islamists who were impeding the closing of Guantanomo.

I'm not a bleeding hard liberal. At the same time, I haven't voted GOP in decades.

That said, Lindsay Graham had it right last night. Essentially, the US has returned to Afghanistan their worst nightmares - five of them. Expect a regression back to the days of public stonings and all the other horrors these people perpetrate.

Anyone who believes these five, hard-core fanatics won't continue to promote their beliefs is beyond naive. Leopards don't change their spots - and especially these guys.

What was the alternative to keeping them in Guantanomo - a firing squad?? I don't have the answers for this - but I'm pretty sure Bowe Bergdahl wasn't worth the price the Afghan people - and maybe the world - will be paying in the near future for this 'trade.' Now that's a nasty thing to say, but, sadly, it's true.
Things aren't going to be bad for others because 5 guys are released. There was the story about the pregnant wife getting stoned just the other day.

Pregnant Pakistani woman stoned to death by her family

Has 12 years of war done anything at all about that? No. Will it ever? No.

The reason Japan is the country it is today isn't because we went to war with them. It's because they decided to leave the past.

You want them to change? Show them what they are missing, don't drop bombs on their heads.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
2 sentences into that Article

This is the "you can do what ever you want as long as you follow our impossible rules "Fallacy.
Not that your own link will stop you from repeating the same thing over and over again.
"War over"

Done deal. There is nothing impossible about that. Why wasn't this done 5 years ago?

Old 06-05-2014, 05:59 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Bothe Bush and Obama have tried to close Guantanamo, congress wants to keep it open forever because of their electorate.
That's debateable. I know a lot of constituents don't want them housed in the US.

President Obama could order the closure of the entire base at Gitmo and also has the power to
transfer the detainees.

The military base serves no other purpose than holding the detainees at Gitmo. It is costing a fortune. And it doesn't cost over $300,000 a prisoner to release them either. Curious - what did they have in their pockets when they were picked up...

And it shouldn't cost the 80 Million Obama requested to shut down Gitmo either.

Of the 149 remaining, try the ones they know they have evidence on IN A MILITARY COURT
- held for over a decade, they know what they have.

Release the rest exactly where they picked them up; in Afghanistan.
If in doubt about certain detainees, set up a POW camp there. After all, we are keeping military force there
after 2014 to train their police. What better hands on training than guarding their own riff raff.

This isn't rocket science. Folks in DC are ying yanging this Gitmo around because it adds to the
never ending purse for a "war on terror".

Old 06-05-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
"War over"

Done deal. There is nothing impossible about that. Why wasn't this done 5 years ago?
What are you talking about ?

Old 06-05-2014, 06:03 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

I'm not a bleeding-heart liberal. At the same time, I haven't voted GOP in decades.

Anyone who believes these five, hard-core fanatics won't continue to promote aggressively their beliefs attempt to weaken Afghan's shaky government is beyond naive. Leopards don't change their spots - and especially these guys.

What was the alternative to keeping them in Guantanomo - a firing squad?? I don't have the answers for this - but I'm pretty sure Bowe Bergdahl wasn't worth the price the Afghan people - and maybe the world - will be paying in the near future for this 'trade.' The Afghanees have to be so demoralized at this point. Sad.
Ive already seen articles about how this has gone over with the Afghan government ... to say they are not pleased would be an understatement. The White House never even bothered to inform the respective ambassadors - the US Ambassador to Afghanistan and the Afghan Ambassador to the US had to find out when the news reported it.

This is a colossal clusterf--k .... what the eff was the White House thinking? Where were Obama's advisers? What did Obama hope to accomplish from such an incredibly stupid stunt that pissed off our Afghan allies, half the Democratic Party, the US military, and not to mention gave the GOPers like me even more ammo to use against him. I don't understand ... it's like ... I can't even wrap my head around the sheer stupidity.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What are you talking about ?
I guess you only read to the second line.

thus, when hostilities end, the detainees may be released.

"War over".

Why wasn't this done 5 years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies