Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 11:06 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
If these men were charged with these crimes, you might be able to make an argument about International law. However, accusations are not charges, and while some of the accusations are heinous, fact is they weren't charged so tthe violation of International law doesn't really apply.

If anything this should bring back the debate of charging the Terrorists/Enemy Combatant that we have in custody rather than letting them stay without any charges. Whether that be the U.S charging them or bringing them to the International Court. The hold them basically forever concept that we have had with some (some have been charged and found guilty) is a mistake now, and has been for the approximately 12 years it has been implemented.
The International Courts are more than capable of both investigating and charging individuals themselves, all the US would have to do is hand them over from Guantanamo, which isn't even covered by US Constitutional Laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It matters not what specific section we believe he broke. That is a strawman. You know she has said this already but that is the question, did she make the claim, not what anyone else claims and why.

"It comes to us with some surprise and dismay that the transfers went ahead with no consultation, totally not following law," Feinstein told reporters following a closed door meeting.

Top Lawmakers Say White House Broke Law in Bergdahl Deal - NBC News

Bookmark this for when you again make this claim 10 pages from now.
I stand corrected. However the bold still does matter. As both the claim and whether or not he broke the law matters.

For example, i can claim you killed someone, doesnt prove its true.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
The International Courts are more than capable of both investigating and charging individuals themselves, all the US would have to do is hand them over from Guantanamo, which isn't even covered by US Constitutional Laws.
Maybe because we are perfectly capable. I'll ask again but I don't expect you to answer.

Why didn't we charge them?

Old 06-07-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I stand corrected. However the bold still does matter. As both the claim and whether or not he broke the law matters.

For example, i can claim you killed someone, doesnt prove its true.
The claim was that Feinstein said he broke the law.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Accused, accused, accused. Richard Jewell was accused of terrorism.
Of course there accused, a person is accused until they are tried, which is what should have happened instead of letting them go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp
You are assuming there is any and again, if there is why did two administrations refuse to bring charges?
And you are assuming there is no evidence. They evidence should have been examined by experts in Genocide at the Hague and they should have been investigated by the International Court who could have decided if they had a case to answer for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp
Our government wasn't democratically recognized in 1776 either. Pakistan, Syria, etc etc etc are responsible for the same kind of actions. China is responsible for the same. When do we attack?

We are capable. We didn't do it. Why not?
The Taliban were linked to terrorist groups, and were an awful regime, which was why the UN allowed for a Mandate for transition to an elected democracy where women and other groups were not oppressed and abused, and I see nothing wrong with that.

What would be ironic is if there is another terrorist attack against the US and in turns out one of these released individuals is in some way responsible, indeed for all the US nows they could have just released the next Osama Bin Laden.

Indeed in a rare public statement on Sunday, Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Mohammad Omar described the exchange as a "big victory".

Last edited by Bamford; 06-07-2014 at 11:23 AM..

Old 06-07-2014, 11:30 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Of course there accused, a person is accused until they are tried, which is what should have happened instead of letting them go.

And you are assuming there is no evidence. They evidence should have been examined by experts in Genocide at the Hague and they should have been investigated by the International Court who could have decided if they had a case to answer for.

The Taliban were linked to terrorist groups, and were an awful regime, which was why the UN allowed for a Mandate for transition to an elected democracy where women and other groups were not oppressed and abused, and I see nothing wrong with that.

What would be ironic is if there is another terrorist attack against the US and in turns out one of these released individuals is in some way responsible, indeed for all the US nows they could have just released the next Osama Bin Laden.

Indeed in a rare public statement on Sunday, Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Mohammad Omar described the exchange as a "big victory".

Fact of the matter is evidence is key. If we had the evidence against them, they should have been tried either in U.S Court or International Court. We have done this in other cases

The issue becomes, what do we do when we have accusations against someone, believe they are guilty, but don't have enough evidence to bring up charges against them.

We have many we have held going back to 2002 that have been held and accused of terrorism, but not charged with anything. Is it beliveing they are guilty, but not having the evidence to charge them? Or is it something else? Who knows, but fact is if we have evidence charge them, if not well then what?

Old 06-07-2014, 11:32 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
You seem intent on trying to justify the unjustifiable, some of these men committed mass genocide of Shia civilians and if anything they should be before the international courts in the Hague and not being released by the US.

The US has made a laughing stock of itself and then next time the US demands someone be tried for War Crimes or International Crimes the whole world is going to collectively fall about laughing.
Make up your mind. How can there be war crimes, when you argue there is no war?

Old 06-07-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Fact of the matter is evidence is key.
Fact of the manner is you refuse to answer my question.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Make up your mind. How can there be war crimes, when you argue there is no war?
It's actually alleged genocide in relation to the civilian Shia Muslim population, and has nothing to do with the coalition forces.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:38 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Fact of the manner is you refuse to answer my question.
I think you misread my post, I am pretty much in agreement with you. If there was evidence to charge these guys (or pretty much anyone else we are holding and haven't charged yet), we should do so. While, there is no way of knowing for sure why no charges have yet to have been brought, chances are we might not have the evidence to bring charges. The accusations could very well be true, but accusations aren't evidence, nor are they proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies