Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 10:22 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
If everyone knew Bergdahl was a deserter at his post, I am calling him a deserter for these questions:

Is Bergdahl the first deserter that we've ever done a prisoner swap for?
I simply can't find the answer for that in my internet search.

And does anyone know, has the military in the past tried to save known deserters (get them back) in other wars once held captive.
Apparently the Army had not and has not yet officially classified him as a deserter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 10:25 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
But what does the Rose Garden mean to people? why is it special? I'm sorry I'm not being sarcastic, i just want to realize what everyone else realizes.
Respect, got damnit!

Respect!

Actually, I think many join the military to acquire a respect that they otherwise couldn't find.

Some people have no self-respect and depend on others (or other opportunities) for garnering some.

In the land of opportunity, these people are desperate.

"Dignity" is a very slippery thing.

"Johnny Yuma was a rebel; he wandered through the west."

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 06-16-2014 at 11:08 AM..

Old 06-16-2014, 11:42 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Apparently the Army had not and has not yet officially classified him as a deserter.
I know that.

Once again, I am asking the question as if the soldier (not necessarily Bergdahl) is a deserter
of fact.

Has the military ever swapped prisoners for ANY known deserter in past wars?

And, has our military gone to save ANY known deserters in past wars?

I am just very curious about this scenario but can't find any info about it online.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I know that.

Once again, I am asking the question as if the soldier (not necessarily Bergdahl) is a deserter
of fact.

Has the military ever swapped prisoners for ANY known deserter in past wars?

And, has our military gone to save ANY known deserters in past wars?

I am just very curious about this scenario but can't find any info about it online.
The classification makes all the difference.

Technically, "prisoner" and "deserter" are mutually exclusive terms. Someone officially classifed as a "deserter" is not classified as a "prisoner."

Old 06-16-2014, 12:18 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
The classification makes all the difference.

Technically, "prisoner" and "deserter" are mutually exclusive terms. Someone officially classifed as a "deserter" is not classified as a "prisoner."
So then, annoying aren't I, has the United States ever swapped prisoners for
a classified deserter in past wars....

Or is it like the chicken and the egg; one can not ever be classified a deserter
till after trial by military? So everyone is considered just a prisoner

Old 06-16-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
So then, annoying aren't I, has the United States ever swapped prisoners for
a classified deserter in past wars....

Or is it like the chicken and the egg; one can not ever be classified a deserter
till after trial by military? So everyone is considered just a prisoner
Mutual prisoner releases have usually been part of negotiated peace or cease-fire agreements. Unilateral withdrawal situations are a new bird (even the withdrawal from Vietnam was done by a negotiated cease-fire agreement that included a prisoner exchange). This has more in common with the kinds of exchanges the Israelies have made in the past.

There have been hundreds to thousands of deserters in previous wars--over 50,000 from the Army alone during WWII. I doubt it has been possible in previous wars to verify whether every person returned as part of a negotiated prisoner return hadn't actually been a deserter.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:44 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Mutual prisoner releases have usually been part of negotiated peace or cease-fire agreements. Unilateral withdrawal situations are a new bird (even the withdrawal from Vietnam was done by a negotiated cease-fire agreement that included a prisoner exchange). This has more in common with the kinds of exchanges the Israelies have made in the past.

There have been hundreds to thousands of deserters in previous wars--over 50,000 from the Army alone during WWII. I doubt it has been possible in previous wars to verify whether every person returned as part of a negotiated prisoner return hadn't actually been a deserter.
So in WWII, were all those 50,000 tried and formally convicted of desertion? I hadn't heard of anything like that number of trials. If they were not all tried, how was desertion determined? Given the serious consequences of being a deserter, it seems to me the military might actually avoid calling someone a deserter unless there was hard evidence. Also, it seems to me that there is a difference between a soldier who freaks out and leaves and a soldier who leaves in order to help the enemy.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
So in WWII, were all those 50,000 tried and formally convicted of desertion? I hadn't heard of anything like that number of trials. If they were not all tried, how was desertion determined? Given the serious consequences of being a deserter, it seems to me the military might actually avoid calling someone a deserter unless there was hard evidence. Also, it seems to me that there is a difference between a soldier who freaks out and leaves and a soldier who leaves in order to help the enemy.
George W. Bush was a deserter.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:00 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
In the legal sense, no he wasn't. He did have a loose definition of attendance though...

Old 06-16-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Maybe Bergdahl will be president someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies