Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 04:39 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,058,452 times

Advertisements

I find the knee jerk reactions to mass shootings minimizing many other factors.
Obviously the perpetrators feel a disconnect from society. The question is why?
Guns have always been available. Mental issues have always been here.

I think the perpetrators feel an extreme disconnect and act on it.

WHAT are some other reasons for mass shootings.

Can we leave the "gun control" or "mental health" responses out of this thread?

Old 06-10-2014, 04:45 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
I think it's becoming a cultural thing like suicides in some Asian cultures. It started with columbine. Guns were probably even more available a few decades ago but school shootings were rare or unheard of. Medications might play a role too, which is something that should be studied.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:46 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post

We are seeing the results of raising children in a world where it is nearly illegal to discipline them and where everyone gets a trophy just for participating. These kids weren't taught that their actions have consequences, and they weren't prepared for the real world - where you don't get a prize just for showing up.

Basically, 20 or so years ago we started raising entitlement minded twits, and now that these kids are realizing that they've been lied to for their entire lives the very people who support these idiotic policies are scratching their heads and wondering why young people are so angry.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
We are seeing the results of raising children in a world where it is nearly illegal to discipline them and where everyone gets a trophy just for participating. These kids weren't taught that their actions have consequences, and they weren't prepared for the real world - where you don't get a prize just for showing up.

Basically, 20 or so years ago we started raising entitlement minded twits, and now that these kids are realizing that they've been lied to for their entire lives the very people who support these idiotic policies are scratching their heads and wondering why young people are so angry.
Is it possible technology can cause a lack of empathy or belonging?

I don't think getting a participation trophy turns people into mass shooters.

The change in families may have something to do with it. Perhaps not enough connection with an adult or parent or close family member?

Old 06-10-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I think it's becoming a cultural thing like suicides in some Asian cultures. It started with columbine. Guns were probably even more available a few decades ago but school shootings were rare or unheard of. Medications might play a role too, which is something that should be studied.
Our culture is violent and for some reason schools are the target. I think our society has always been barbarous --Salem Witch Trials etc.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:07 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,042 times
Copy cats. Its their way of getting their 15 mins of fame. Most of these mass shooters are losers, overall and in general. Never amounted to much in their lives and know/knew they never would. However, shoot up a school and they will forever be remembered. Some even worshipped, ala The Columbine Shooters.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:09 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,402,596 times
Discussing mass shootings without being able to bring up guns is like discussing fishing without being able to bring up fish.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:18 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

I think you have it 100% right! I have schoolteachers in my family who hate their jobs because it is impossible to discipline kids without parent's getting in their faces.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:23 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I think you have it 100% right! I have schoolteachers in my family who hate their jobs because it is impossible to discipline kids without parent's getting in their faces.
Doesn't add up. No evidence.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:26 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post

That would be nice, wouldn't it?

I think when people try to place all the blame on mental illness, in particular, they are usually trying to do one of two things: 1) shut down any conversation about gun control, which they oppose, or 2) shift the conversation away from the ideologies that drove the killers, which they often share. And sometimes, they are trying to do both.

Not every bitter, resentful, entitled 22-year-old virgin goes on a shooting spree. But anyone who listened to Elliot Rodger's YouTube rants, or read his so-called "manifesto," must see he was deeply steeped in the rancid misogyny of the PUA culture. Rodger may not have had any actual accomplices, but he had many like-minded thinkers.

Likewise, Jared and Amanda Miller seem to have been just as deeply steeped in the far-right, gun-loving, government-hating "patriot" culture. And, as in the case of Rodger, few members of that culture ever actually kill anyone. But they do promote a set of ideas that provide a rationalization for those who do kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies