Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 07:08 PM

33,551 posts, read 18,143,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
This puts the issue in better perspective. Colorado became a state in 1876. It ONLY took 137 years for gays to be granted the right to civil unions in 2013. Those impatient brats have a lot of chutzpah not wanting to wait a little longer.

As to the bakery owner, no sympathy. They would have made just as much money from the sale to the gay couple. For those that say it is not the point I disagree. They are a business as someone else stated earlier. Furthermore, with a small amount of courage they could have done a civil disobedience, still refused the couple, accept the citation and remain vocal in opposing it if they had so chosen.

Keep in mind that a Fundamentalist straight conservative couple planning to marry that participates in rallies against gay marriage is also protected by this provision because a liberal minded or gay bakery owner will never be able to refuse them a cake either. People of all viewpoints, races, religions, and orientations are protected. No one is a victim here.

You can choose to despise some of them. I am sure a few do behave like brats. That would be a first, because white or black straight people both male and female and especially teenagers, have never misbehaved to my knowledge. LOL. In other words, there are a small number in every group that behave like brats. You are within your rights to only despise those brats that happen to be gay if you so choose and give the others a free pass.

In any event, outrage against a few brats does not justify turning back the clock and having inequality. I would be more concerned with those with the "Westboro Baptist" mentality that hold up signs that say "God hates ****" than against gay people asking a bakery to provide a cake.

As far as I and an increasing number of people are concerned, the arguments for equal accommodation and equality in general prevail.
It is a wedding cake and they have the right not to support a gay marriage in any regard. If their moral compass tells them gay marriage is wrong , it goes against their belief system and they should not be forced to bake a cake for a gay wedding.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:14 PM

33,551 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Those holding "God hates ****" signs at rallies are not only impolite, but hateful. Some of those people think it is cool for some sick reason. There are some gay rights opponents that demonize them, but some that do not unfortunately. Don't observe your outrage over that on this thread. They are not pushing it or getting arrogant? LOL. Of course, they have a right to do this and reveal how pathetic they truly are.

When I watch the news or go online for it, I do not remember seeing "God hates straights" signs at a rally.

Continue to "enforce" your good behavior requirement disproportionately to one group then and ignore abuses by others if you please.

This decision was based on equality and this action moves us one step closer to the ideal of liberty and pursuit of happiness for ALL (not most or some) as stated in the Declaration of Independence. Therefore, I believe this is the truly more patriotic viewpoint, too.

You have a right to your viewpoint, but please be warned it might be embarrassing a decade from now when almost everyone will take this new step for equality for granted and wondered how they could have thought that way just a decade ago. It has happened in regards to other groups and the issue of inter-racial marriages in the past. It is possible you could be one of those people.

We respectfully agree to disagree.
The homosexual acts between same sex people are unnatural . One lusting after the same sex is a behavior that is deviant to nature and to creation.

A man can love a man , a woman can love a woman in the spirit, but the sexual act between them is unnatural . Men were not created for men in a sexual nature, and woman were not created for woman in a sexual nature. It is strange flesh unto the natural.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:26 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Do people not have rights anymore? This country is going down the ****ter faster than a slick turd.
The baker should bake the cake for the gay couple and just put non gay decorations on the cake. They can't make you bake a cake to government standards.

And BTW, if the government can force somebody to bake a gay cake, can they force a Muslim cleric to perform a Christian marriage?

Old 06-07-2014, 08:52 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Orientation. That's one of the words libs have appropriated and redefined to fit their own political purposes. Here's what the rest of us understand it to mean:

o·ri·en·ta·tion
noun
1. the act or process of orienting.
2. the state of being oriented.
3. an introduction, as to guide one in adjusting to new surroundings, employment, activity, or the like: New employees receive two days of orientation.
4. Psychology, Psychiatry. the ability to locate oneself in one's environment with reference to time, place, and people.
5. one's position in relation to true north, to points on the compass, or to a specific place or object.

Which of these standard and accepted definitions are you referring to?

Gays wave that word like a flag, and woe to whomever doesn't buy the story about "orientation".

Actually, I can see many cases where discrimination would be a good thing. If a private business owner is offended by some aspect of my person, I don't want to patronize him/her and would rather be told so I can find another place to spend my money. If enough people find such actions undesirable, that business will cease to exist. OTOH, that business may also prosper as a result. I'd like to see posted near the entrance a list of reasons a private business would choose to not do business with potential customers.
Wikipedia has a definition for sexual orientation (the full term): the direction of an individual's sexuality with respect to the sex of the persons the individual finds sexually attractive.

Gays and those that support their rights use this term as a description and have the right to their opinion. The opponents, who also have a right to their views, are upset in this instance, because the law supporting equality is not on their side.

What if the private business owner is offended by your race. You would not support that or I certainly hope not. That would bring us back to pre-1964 days. Food for thought. I think your last idea would be complex and unworkable to be honest. There would be a confusing hodgepodge of differing characteristics each customer would need to get served depending on the business. I also talked about remote tiny towns in an earlier post where if the lone business owner for a certain product or service is restrictive, the customer may have to travel an impractical distance. Just my two cents.

In any event, the law as it currently stands justifies this decision. We have equal accommodation and there is not a burden on the business, but an opportunity.

I do appreciate the improved tone vs. your last post. However, we agree to disagree.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The homosexual acts between same sex people are unnatural . One lusting after the same sex is a behavior that is deviant to nature and to creation.

A man can love a man , a woman can love a woman in the spirit, but the sexual act between them is unnatural . Men were not created for men in a sexual nature, and woman were not created for woman in a sexual nature. It is strange flesh unto the natural.
It is natural for them. You will never be forced to marry a same sex person, attend a gay marriage, or vote for a gay political candidate for office if you so choose. That is very tolerant toward your viewpoint and reasonable people do not have a problem with that IMO. Their relationship won't affect you.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
It is a wedding cake and they have the right not to support a gay marriage in any regard. If their moral compass tells them gay marriage is wrong , it goes against their belief system and they should not be forced to bake a cake for a gay wedding.
I realize this is hypothetical, but if the statement you just made could be shared in your town and offended every business owner in your town (offending their moral compass) and they decided they will not serve you from now on, would that be right? No, it would be wrong! That is why we have laws supporting equality.

Plus, the slippery slope: if they do not have to serve gay people, well, there is a second group they may not like and they get discriminated against, too. Then maybe a third group, too.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:45 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
How would baking a wedding cake be supporting gay marriage? Isn't it their business to bake wedding cakes, not judge other people's weddings?

Old 06-08-2014, 04:49 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
"Waaah! Making gay wedding cakes is against my religion! I'll make wedding cakes for tattooed people, thieves, tax cheats, adulterers, non-virgins, dog weddings, short-haired, pants-wearing women and divorce parties, but a gay wedding cake? That takes the cake! It's against my religion. Waaah!
he will no longer make cakes for anyone. incredible solution, and it's spit right in the face of the McDLT couple who filed the lawsuit. I am gonna order some cookies from this man.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:50 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How would baking a wedding cake be supporting gay marriage? Isn't it their business to bake wedding cakes, not judge other people's weddings?
no. his business is to bake cookies and brownies. no more wedding cakes for anyone.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:57 AM

1,013 posts, read 909,742 times
Quote:
Wikipedia has a definition for sexual orientation (the full term): the direction of an individual's sexuality with respect to the sex of the persons the individual finds sexually attractive.

Gays and those that support their rights use this term as a description and have the right to their opinion. The opponents, who also have a right to their views, are upset in this instance, because the law supporting equality is not on their side.

What if the private business owner is offended by your race. You would not support that or I certainly hope not. That would bring us back to pre-1964 days. Food for thought. I think your last idea would be complex and unworkable to be honest. There would be a confusing hodgepodge of differing characteristics each customer would need to get served depending on the business. I also talked about remote tiny towns in an earlier post where if the lone business owner for a certain product or service is restrictive, the customer may have to travel an impractical distance. Just my two cents.

In any event, the law as it currently stands justifies this decision. We have equal accommodation and there is not a burden on the business, but an opportunity.

I do appreciate the improved tone vs. your last post. However, we agree to disagree.
I find the reason gays give for being gay a bit stupid though.

if gays/men like masculine bodies then date a tom boy girl then
what if the woman changed her sex to become a man to date the male?

for women/lesbians like feminine bodies then date a guy with feminine characteristics.
what if the guy changed his sex to date the female then?

then what would happen I wonder?
hmm?

it makes no difference to them at that point.
all subjective right?

but I heard that gays+ lesbians were being PREJUDICE
to bi-sexuals as well

a bunch of hypocrites then if that is the case.

back on topic.

the laws of the land? Since when did the constitution say that you must perform a service without regard to your own choice of the matter.
If I wanted to I dont need to give any service to people I dont like that they want
or I can charge them 1000x more than necessary to give it to them because I just just dont like them.

might be bad business but that is not the government's problem.
If I would go bankrupt from everyone boycotting then so be it.
hmm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies