Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 09:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Russia was always Hitler's ultimate target. It wasn't a screw-up, it was his raison d'être. Hitler had a degree of admiration for the UK and US; not really for France, but he was not primarily interested in beating them either. He had a hard-on for the USSR--"Jewish Bolshevism"--and we should've taken advantage of it.
Yes, Nazis saw communism as the biggest threat to mankind, but Hitler made some stupid mistakes in the Eastern front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 09:28 AM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
I'm always amazed at how folks can put party before country. WWII was a war we had to win. Lose it and the entire world would be changed. Republicans did not fight with Democrats and vice versa. We simply had to win at all cost. The invasion of Europe is one of the most important events in the history of the world. The thousand of men and women who lost lives should be honored for what they did. I want risk my life for a Democrat or Republican but you can bet your arse I would for my country. Some of these people who sit behind computers are truly pathetic. I hope some day to vist France and pay my respects to those fallen Americans. I give thanks every day for what they did.

Reggie

Old 06-06-2014, 09:40 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
No, considering they could not even cross the English Channel.

Russia was always Hitler's ultimate target. It wasn't a screw-up, it was his raison d'être. Hitler had a degree of admiration for the UK and US; not really for France, but he was not primarily interested in beating them either. He had a hard-on for the USSR--"Jewish Bolshevism"--and we should've taken advantage of it.

That was a mistake, to be sure, but we certainly gave him a casus belli in the Atlantic.

You are right, but stupidity and aggression on one side of a dispute is not a blank check for the other side--at least if one believes that peace is a thing worth having.

Hey...overall I'm against war. It's always stems from political BS. Now having said that, if you are going to fight a war, you better damn well be sure about it, and at which point the gloves are off. If not, then don't fight it. WWII was such a war. Japan took a poke at us, followed by Germany's declaration of war against us, and they both got slapped HARD!! Hey. They shouldn't have f***ed with us! At any rate, in today's world...I'd much rather the United States cut the world cop BS in this day and age, and stop meddling in the affairs of others where we have no business in doing so and having our soldiers die over someone elses problems. You know....like what George Washington said in regards to avoiding entangling alliances and what IKE had warned us about in regards to the Military Industrial Complex? We should focus on defense of our shores, and make it very clear that an attack on our shores will result in a swift retaliation! That's it!

I'm a bit of a WWII buff, so I would love the opportunity one day to visit the memorial in Normandy.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:25 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I don't really think we do deserve better. Over half the people in the nation voted to re-elect Barrack Obama. After his trillion dollar stimulus failed. After he lied about Benghazi. After he sent guns to Mexican drug cartels. After he failed to punish any of the bankers that contributed to wrecking the economy. After he bailed out his union supporters at GM and left the non-union employees out to dry. After he dithered for weeks before doing anything about the oil spill. After he turned his back on our defense treaty with our Eastern European allies.

He does all that then he just says "I'm black and I care about poor folks" and they rush to polls for him.

I'm sorry to say we absolutely got the government we deserve. It's one thing to have elected him in 2008. But to re-elect him? You can be excused for making a mistake in 2008 but every single person, without exception, who cast a ballot for Obama in 2012 was a fool.
Do you think things were so different in the 40s? FDR was not universally beloved either. The country was still slugging along, trying to leave the Great Depression behind, and folks were still having money and job troubles.
FDR did a much more controversial thing than sending guns to outlaws. He sent some of our destroyers to the British at a time when Americans wanted to stay out of another big European war.

When we finally were sucked into the war, American profiteers made the bankers look like a bunch of pikers when it came to stealing taxpayers blind. None of them were ever prosecuted, and none of them ever gave a penny of their ill-gotten gains back.

Truman turned his back on our treaties, as FDR did. And Truman then turned his back again on our new allies, when he broke the Berlin embargo. Then he gave our former enemies billions of dollars that he knew we would never see again, to help Japan and Germany get back on their feet.

The citizens of America elected Roosevelt 4 times. Truman served almost one full term upon FDR's death, and was re-elected after every pundit in the nation said he didn't have a chance at winning.

Sometimes our greatest leaders must do the right thing, even if it seems to be the very worst thing at the time. That is a measure of greatness in a leader, not a weakness. Similar leaders of other nations have done similar things in the past and present.

And there are always enough wise citizens who realize the easy thing, or the popular thing, may not be the right thing. That's why the leaders are re-elected.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Can everyone stop with the partisan BS and just gratefully remember those who fought?

If you want to argue about the MERITS of our participation in WWII or current events, start another thread.

Show some RESPECT.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:30 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
I can't believe d-day was 70 years ago. I think it seems fresher than 70 years because we are still living in the aftermath of WWII for the most part. The USSR is gone and the world is becoming less stable, so it is fading now. Either way, that generation was a true blessing for the world.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:33 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
We agree more than we disagree, browns, but where I think you are wrong is in not differentiating between an attack on us out of the blue, in which we have clean hands, and an attack on us that results from our own bullying statecraft--the "political BS" you say you decry. We certainly did NOT have clean hands at the beginning of WW2, and they got filthier as the war progressed.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:36 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Can everyone stop with the partisan BS and just gratefully remember those who fought?

If you want to argue about the MERITS of our participation in WWII or current events, start another thread.

Show some RESPECT.
I don't think there's any cause for gratitude, only pity.

And I'm not partisan; I think anyone in either party who buys into the WW2 myth is a fool.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:42 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
We agree more than we disagree, browns, but where I think you are wrong is in not differentiating between an attack on us out of the blue, in which we have clean hands, and an attack on us that results from our own bullying statecraft--the "political BS" you say you decry. We certainly did NOT have clean hands at the beginning of WW2, and they got filthier as the war progressed.

While we chided Japan with sanctions and other bureacracy, they made the first move of aggression. The Admiral who drew up the attack on Pearl Harbor even admitted that Japan in no way shape or form could have fought a long term war against the US due to the resolve of the American people. And the American people saw what they saw, a brutal attack on it's citizens on December 7th 1941. That is what changed the isolationist stance held my most Americans at the time. Japan took the bait, and therefore got their a**es handed to them, along with Germany when they decided to declare war on us as well. I don't begrudge what our soldiers did in that war, because the Japanese and Germans were equally if not more brutal. As I said, if I'm put in that type of situation regardless of whether I agree with the politics behind what put me there or not, I'm going to do what I have to do to survive. In short, kill or be killed. Because in the end, like those troops that stormed Normandy on June 6th 1944, I want to go home in one piece.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post

I'm a bit of a WWII buff, so I would love the opportunity one day to visit the memorial in Normandy.
I'd urge you to go.

I've seen it. My father was a D-Day veteran. Looking out over the beach and knowing he was just a teenager.... was overwhelming. Literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies