Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:00 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times

Advertisements

My father in law was shot down over Africa and spent 4 years as a POW shipped around to Italy then Germnay then Austria. Lost his leg and is gone now but I bet on his deathbed he would have risen up and beat the snot out of some of these folks showing disrespect for our vets. Those types are most likely the folks who work in the VA now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 01:20 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
My father in law was shot down over Africa and spent 4 years as a POW shipped around to Italy then Germnay then Austria. Lost his leg and is gone now but I bet on his deathbed he would have risen up and beat the snot out of some of these folks showing disrespect for our vets. Those types are most likely the folks who work in the VA now.

Yeah, it's horrible to hear how some of those vets in the VA are treated. I had two grandfathers (both have passed as well) that fought in WWII. One was in the European Theater the other in the Pacific Theater, and thankfully they made it home in one piece. They were two wonderful men, who had very successful careers upon return to the states. I miss them terribly. My son, had only met one of my grandfathers, but he died while my son was still very young. He would have loved both of them!

Old 06-06-2014, 05:42 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I don't think there's any cause for gratitude, only pity.

And I'm not partisan; I think anyone in either party who buys into the WW2 myth is a fool.

Thank you for correcting my typing error with ridicule, i just wonder what you would have done had you been around during WW2.
I give thanks to those brave men among them my own Father who fought in North Africa and Italy and finished up in Germany cleaning up.
As a Brit. i also give thanks to America who came to help us in our time of need. If not for the bravery of all those young men God knows where we would be today.
Lest We Forget

Old 06-06-2014, 05:55 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Thank you for correcting my typing error with ridicule, i just wonder what you would have done had you been around during WW2.
Moved to Spain.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:01 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,095 times
Quote:
I don't think there's any cause for gratitude, only pity.

And I'm not partisan; I think anyone in either party who buys into the WW2 myth is a fool.

What about WW2 is a myth?

Old 06-06-2014, 06:49 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So, you think the better choice was a man who supported both the Vietnam War and the draft that provided cannon fodder for it yet ran off to France instead of fighting the war he supported? Those like him are an insult to the men who landed in Normandy 70 years ago today.
Yes, I think Romney was clearly a better choice. There has never in history been a President who had more recurring scandals, who so openly declared he was going to do what he wanted regardless of Congress or federal law, who spent more money, who blamed his political opponents more often while never taking responsibility for anything whatsoever, who operated a less transparent White House, who damaged foreign relations more. Obama is clearly the overall worst president in history. And note that none of what I mentioned has anything to do with politics. I didn't mention any of his policies. It's the man himself that is corrupt and incompetent to an unprecedented degree.

There are other Presidents who have done horrendous things. Nixon had Watergate. Clinton lied under oath to cover up his affair. Bush got us into Iraq. Andrew Jackson was famous for handing out federal posts to his friends regardless of their competence or qualifications. Reagan had Iran Contra. Even Lincoln, arguably the greatest President we ever had and who literally saved the nation from destruction, illegally suspended habeus corpus. But nobody has ever had such a consistent pattern of corruption as Obama. It's one scandal after another with him. They never end.

Last edited by kidkaos2; 06-06-2014 at 07:00 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 07:19 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Moved to Spain.
Not that I would have participated in the war either, but what would going to Spain have accomplished?

Old 06-06-2014, 07:25 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Moved to Spain.
Yeah and probably joined the Blue Division to fight with your buddies.

"When Germany invaded Russia in Jun 1941, the anti-communist sentiment in Spain was resurfaced. Knowing the recent event of Germany relatively easily toppling Poland and France, the Spanish thought Germany would be able to do the same to the Soviet Union. A large-scale demonstration broke out in the capital city of Madrid in support of the invasion, followed by demonstrations in other cities. The Spaniards were shocked when the United Kingdom befriended communist Russia, realizing that an Allied victory would mean the expansion of communism. Thus, Spanish volunteers began to be organized. On 20 Aug 1941, German Army 250th Division was officially formed with the nickname of "Blue Division"; the division consisted of Spanish volunteers and was commanded by General Agustín Muñoz Grandes of the Spanish Army. The Blue Division fought exclusively on the Eastern Front against Russia, and suffered as much as other German units when the tide turned against Germany. On 29 Jul 1943, the United States ambassador in Madrid demanded that Spain withdrew this military force from Russia. Franco, seeing that the Allies had just begun the invasion of Italy and sensed that the Allies started to gain the upper hand, largely yielded to this demand, leaving only a regiment-sized unit (nicknamed "Blue Legion") on the Eastern Front. On 20 Feb 1944, The Blue Legion, too, began to be withdrawn. A total of 45,000 Spanish volunteers fought under the German banner during the war."

Spain in World War II | World War II Database

Old 06-06-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
What about WW2 is a myth?
That it was a war of "good against evil", that we were minding our own business and were attacked out of the clear blue sky, that we entered the war to stop the Holocaust (the "Final Solution" did not become a German policy until 1942), and that the Allied victory saved the world (it delivered almost a third of the world into Stalinist slavery.) Almost everything common people believe about the war is a silly, romantic myth.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yeah and probably joined the Blue Division to fight with your buddies.
No, just "hauled ass to save my ass" as Lenny Bruce would've phrased it.

That being said, the Blue Division was no more dishonorable than any of the other belligerents. They felt the USSR was a greater threat to their country and interests than Germany was. They were probably correct, and tons of people in Europe, particularly those under Stalin's boot, felt the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies