Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we end Birthright citizenship for the children of Illegal Immigrates?
Yes 67 84.81%
No 11 13.92%
Other, Explain 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 12:48 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Well, can conservatives constantly challenge, sensationalize, and pass local laws to curb the 14th amendment like Liberals do with the 2nd?

Good question. That's worth entertaining. However, I say no local jurisdiction should violate the 2nd Amendment rights of its residents.

Deal?

Old 06-06-2014, 12:49 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Well, can conservatives constantly challenge, sensationalize, and pass local laws to curb the 14th amendment like Liberals do with the 2nd?
I think "OICU812" provided an answer to this by quoting part of the 14th Amendment: "...No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States..."

It addresses your 2nd Amendment rights too...

Old 06-06-2014, 12:49 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
YES!

The loophole has been abused long enough. If a person is here legally when giving birth, then birthright should apply. If a person runs across a bridge just to give birth (anchor babies), then birthright should not apply.

It is estimated that 10% of babies born in the US have at least one illegal parent. That is an astonishing number.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:50 PM

864 posts, read 799,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

Good question. That's worth entertaining. However, I say no local jurisdiction should violate the 2nd Amendment rights of its residents.

Deal?
The way the Constitution was meant to be applied!

Old 06-06-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
...It is estimated that 10% of babies born in the US have at least one illegal parent. That is an astonishing number.
Pew Hispanic put it as 8% (III. Births and Children | Pew Research Center's Hispanic Trends Project) for their most-recent data of around 2009 to 2010. Purely (both) U.S. citizen parents had 74% of the births, and both parents as Legal Permanent Residents accounted for 17% of the births. An illegal alien parent (in those 8% of births) is more likely to have a U.S. citizen or LPR partner, rather than another illegal alien.

In fact in the cases where they have a U.S. citizen spouse, the term "Anchor Baby" is a misnomer because they will often have a quicker (if you call ten years outside the country before possibly gaining residency, and at least another three to qualify for U.S. citizenship as "quick") path to legalization than their U.S. citizen child can provide...

"Crossing the border to give birth" is also usually a misnomer too, where they are often present longer than a year (conceiving the child while in the U.S.), and around 50% have been present for five years or longer before the birth (Pew Hispanic data)...

EDIT: I was using earlier Pew data, their more recent information says that 61% of illegal alien parents had been present five years or longer before the birth...

Old 06-06-2014, 04:11 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Doesn't/shouldn't matter how long an illegal alien has been in this country if they gave birth on our soil their offspring should not be legally deemed citizens of this country just by birth.

The biggest clue of all about the wording in the 14th is "AND" subject to the jurisdiction, thereof. "AND" is a qualifier. If they were automatic citizens by birth there would have been no need for that qualifier in the clause.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:25 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

"Crossing the border to give birth" is also usually a misnomer too, where they are often present longer than a year (conceiving the child while in the U.S.), and around 50% have been present for five years or longer before the birth (Pew Hispanic data)...
A staggering 84 hospitals in California alone, have been forced to close their doors because of unpaid bills by illegal aliens
The children of illegal aliens (anchor babies) have bankrupted the state of California - National Immigration Reform | Examiner.com

Medicaid alone paid $2.2 billion last year to partially reimburse hospitals for unpaid illegal alien delivery bills
Report: $2 billion spent annually for Medicaid emergencies, largely for illegal immigrant baby delivery | The Daily Caller

and have you read this FAIR report?
Economic costs of legal and illegal immigration | colorado immigration law resources reference

My God all the stats are mind numbing

misnomer
  1. a wrong or inaccurate name or designation.

I think not

Old 06-06-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
...I think not
And where exactly are you countering data that I have sourced showing an illegal alien mother conceiving a child (usually with a Legal Permanent Resident or U.S. citizen partner) in the United States, often present several years beforehand, is instead "crossing the border to give birth"?...

Old 06-06-2014, 06:07 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,743,397 times
Quote:
And where exactly are you countering data that I have sourced showing an illegal alien mother conceiving a child (usually with a Legal Permanent Resident or U.S. citizen partner) in the United States, often present several years beforehand, is instead "crossing the border to give birth"?...
Once again if it was the former instead of the latter, how would it be that much of a issue, are you telling us a majoirty of the anchor babies as a parent that is legal?

That they have such great time to be in America at "coincidentally" the right time to give birth in America?

Old 06-06-2014, 06:16 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Mmmm, so it turned into a heaping dose of legislative karma?...

My stepdaughter, whom is not a U.S. citizen, gave birth in the United States a few years ago. The baby was illegitimate, even though the father is now doing his part, they struggled initially, and we housed them separately and together for a time. I (a U.S. citizen) was extremely grateful my medical insurance almost completely paid the cost of the birth (over $7K).

My Granddaughter is as much a U.S. citizen as you or I, nobody is sending (or a group of U.S. citizens, save nine in particular, is taking U.S. citizenship from another group) anybody anywhere...

Is the father a citizen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies