Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 12:06 PM

46,186 posts, read 26,903,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
You didn't answer my question. Do bad guys give fair warning before they open fire? Yes or no. Seems like a pretty simple question.
No they don't...go back and read the op....he did not state they were there tostart shooting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
When you are parent out in public with your kids and you see a civilian carrying a gun then that is a safe attitude to have. You don't get to second guess when the shooting starts.
I understand that...but the op is talking about taking action without knowing there is a threat...

Old 06-06-2014, 12:08 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,655,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
No they don't...go back and read the op....he did not state they were there tostart shooting...
Right, they don't give fair warning. Good. We've now established that. So we can move on.

The next question is: how do you know whether it's a bad guy BEFORE he starts shooting? The reason I ask is, after he shoots you, and you're dead, you can no longer take action.

Quote:
I understand that...but the op is talking about taking action without knowing there is a threat...
Right, and MY point is that you don't know if there's a threat. You don't know.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:09 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,181,888 times
Quote:
You guys are making a LOT of assumptions based on a hypothetical question....the opportunity never said they were there to shoot.....he said they walked in a store. ...
It is not hypothetical that people have walked into all kinds of stores guns and robbed everyone and then forced them in a back room and shot everyone of them. or others walking in and just started shooting.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:10 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,009,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It depends on their skin color.
Bingo.

All those right-wing extremists strutting around with fully automatic rifles, rubbing other people's noses in it, and we're supposed to be okay with that... and this is the same part of the nation where a non-white can be blown away for "maybe having a gun" or "having a stick-like object" because some gun-nut "felt threatened." Right... because a non-white in a hoodie who "might" have something deserves to be shot, but when a clown-car full of right-wing loons struts into a public place, carrying full-auto rifles on display, we're all supposed to be fine with that and assume everything is normal.

The people with gun-fetishes who *need* to show off - "mah gun is bigger than yer gun!" - to others are nothing but troublemakers. They are provoking people - risking that very same "I felt threatened, so die!" response that seems to be okay to dish out to "those people" - and their terrible judgment in bring grossly inappropriate weapons with them into public places casts serious doubts on if they are responsible enough to have a gun with them at all times. It is a disgrace, and a perfect example of the type of bad behavior that gets anti-gun laws passed in the first place. They are doing far more harm to their cause then good, risking the safety of others, and behaving in a stupid, immature fashion.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:10 PM

18,132 posts, read 15,544,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Say I'm at a Walmart or Taco Bell with my family and am lawfully carrying my concealed firearm.

If a bunch of unidentified people come in carrying AR-15's, am I authorized to take action to defend myself and my family? Or do I have to wait until an attack begins? How do I know whether they are friendlies or whether they have appropriate training?

Can I disarm them while I am investigating?

Thanks.
Its a valid question. I'm quite likely, personally, to view someone walking into a public place with a rifle as a threat. Who carries a rifle for defensive purposes in an urban environment? Its ludicrous! A pistol or revolver in a holster, I'm not likely to pay much mind. However, a longarm, that will get my attention, especially if its being carried, not slung.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Right, they don't give fair warning. Good. We've now established that. So we can move on.

The next question is: how do you know whether it's a bad guy BEFORE he starts shooting? The reason I ask is, after he shoots you, and you're dead, you can no longer take action.

Right, and MY point is that you don't know if there's a threat. You don't know.
So....your logo us...if you are concealed carry and you are with your family and guys walk in with long guns your logic is to shoot them because they have long guns?

Old 06-06-2014, 12:13 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,468,354 times
Quote:
Are they shooting at you? Why would you "take action" if there is no threat?
But is it really that simple?

Sure, a person who walks into a Target with an AK-47 might just be a gun enthusiast trying to thumb his nose at gun control advocates. Or, he might be about to perpetrate a mass shooting. If it we me, I'd like to know before the bullets start flying.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
It is not hypothetical that people have walked into all kinds of stores guns and robbed everyone and then forced them in a back room and shot everyone of them. or others walking in and just started shooting.
So.....you should just start shooting..

Old 06-06-2014, 12:14 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,655,040 times
Quote:
So....your logo us...if you are concealed carry and you are with your family and guys walk in with long guns your logic is to shoot them because they have long guns?
Did I say that? It has nothing to do with me having a gun or not. It has to do with establishing whether the guy with the assault rifle is a bad guy.

How do you establish that before he starts shooting? Please answer this for me. It will really help you to understand this issue from a wider perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies