Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 11:23 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They were detained because of their participation in terrorist Taliban-al Qaeda operations, not because of their nationality.

Then why weren't they weren't returned to Afghanistan? Why were they instead sent to Qatar, where the Taliban is exiled?
What participation in terror activities were they charged and convicted of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,999,290 times
Notice how the swooners always fall back to Bush as if Obama did nothing letting these five go. Who cares what Bush did that was pre '08. Why can't the Obama lovers address the current situation? I guess they can't allow themselves to even think their great leader screwed up. They can never do that it seems. Instead scream about Bush or whoever else now it's the Koch brothers or when all else fails scream racism. Just pathetic is what it is even though the guy is half white too. lol

Old 06-09-2014, 12:20 PM

88,979 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What participation in terror activities were they charged and convicted of?
They don't need to be charged and convicted to be detained. All that is necessary to detain them is the intent to eventually try them. There are no time limits on that.

Their excerpted dossiers have already been posted:
Quote:
• Mullah Mohammad Fazl. Experts suggested to PolitiFact that, of the five, Fazl and Noori may be the most dangerous to United States interests.
Fazl was an experienced commander against the U.S.-backed Northern Alliance and served as the Taliban’s army chief of staff. He’s "wanted by the UN for possible war crimes including the murder of thousands of Shiites" and had "operational associations with significant al Qaeda and other extremist personnel." The leaked documents say Fazl "wielded considerable influence" and that he’s become a recruiting symbol for the Taliban.
• Mullah Norullah Noori. Noori was a "senior Taliban military commander" and the onetime governor of Balkh province who, like Fazl, is on the United Nations’ radar screen for possible war crimes.
Fazl and Noori "were responsible for ethno-sectarian massacres in northern Afghanistan, as were some of their enemies who are now in the Afghan government," said Barnett R. Rubin, director and senior fellow at New York University’s Center on International Cooperation. "They cooperated with al-Qaida, which was providing assistance to their fight against the Northern Alliance."
Leaked documents cite ties to the Taliban’s top leader, Mullah Omar, and "senior al-Qaida members," including the allegation that he passed a message from Omar to al-Qaida’s Osama bin Laden.
• Mullah Khairullah Khairkhwa. The leaked documents say Khairkhwa was close to both Omar and bin Laden, representing the Taliban in "meetings with Iranian officials seeking to support hostilities against U.S. and Coalition Forces" following the start of the United States war in Afghanistan.He was governor of Herat province from 1999 to 2001 and was alleged to be one of the "major opium drug lords in western Afghanistan."
Complicating matters somewhat, Khairkhwa was in discussions with the family of post-war Afghan leader Hamid Karzai, a longtime friend, about possibly cooperating with the new government when he was arrested in Pakistan in 2002 and brought to Guantanamo.
• Abdul Haq Wasiq. Wasiq was the deputy chief of the Taliban’s intelligence service and "was central to the Taliban's efforts to form alliances with other Islamic fundamentalist groups to fight alongside the Taliban against U.S. and Coalition forces after the 11 September 2001 attacks," according to the leaked documents, which added that he "utilized his office to support al-Qaida and to assist Taliban personnel elude capture" in late 2001. He is believed to have "arranged for al-Qaida personnel to train Taliban intelligence staff in intelligence methods."
Wasiq claimed to be offering cooperation to the United States, though the U.S. government has officially been skeptical of those claims.
• Mohammad Nabi Omari. Leaked documents describe Omari as "a senior Taliban official who served in multiple leadership roles," including membership in a joint al-Qaida-Taliban cell in Khowst that "was involved in attacks against U.S. and coalition forces." Omari also "maintained weapons caches and facilitated the smuggling of fighters and weapons," the documents say.
Taliban detainees freed in Bowe Bergdahl exchange 'are the hardest of the hard-core'

Old 06-09-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They don't need to be charged and convicted to be detained. All that is necessary to detain them is the intent to eventually try them. There are no time limits on that.
' [/url]
Thanks sir! You've just outlined the best reason for releasing them.

Damn. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Notice how the swooners always fall back to Bush as if Obama did nothing letting these five go. Who cares what Bush did that was pre '08. Why can't the Obama lovers address the current situation? I guess they can't allow themselves to even think their great leader screwed up. They can never do that it seems. Instead scream about Bush or whoever else now it's the Koch brothers or when all else fails scream racism. Just pathetic is what it is even though the guy is half white too. lol
I've addressed it a million times without mentioning Bush once.

These men should've been exchanged for Bergdahl. Afghanistan is THEIR country and we have no right to be there.

Obama was right. I'm also happy that congress wasn't consulted.

Again for the millionth time since you won't answer the question...What would you do if the Taliban were here in this country? Sit down and take it like a chumps, or fight back.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:39 PM

Well detroiter if they come and kill your family I bet you would be singing a different tune. This aint a guy caught speeding and not getting a fair trial. They were caught on the battlefield trying to kill our guys. Now you may not like the war but war it is. Letting these clowns go is complete and utter nonsense. Only thing I can make out of it (after Obama the grand leader declared AQ is dead and we are all fine) is that they want to jack up attacks to justify the spending. Maybe I'm crazy but I've been called worse. Maye Obama should have just said they tossed em all into the ocean and then let em go on the down low. Probably wouldn't be taking as much heat.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I've addressed it a million times without mentioning Bush once.

These men should've been exchanged for Bergdahl. Afghanistan is THEIR country and we have no right to be there.

Obama was right. I'm also happy that congress wasn't consulted.

Again for the millionth time since you won't answer the question...What would you do if the Taliban were here in this country? Sit down and take it like a chumps, or fight back.
No right to be there? Who says so? They supported the AQ boys who killed 3K folks on 9-11. I guess we are supposed to forget about that. Not to mention they are tyrants who kill folks on a whim and are listed as a terrorist organization by our government. THEY have no right to be there. Go live in the hills and leave those folks alone who just want to live. But no they won't do that they come and kill anyone who won't do as they say. That what you support? If so you are lost.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
No right to be there? Who says so? They supported the AQ boys who killed 3K folks on 9-11. I guess we are supposed to forget about that. Not to mention they are tyrants who kill folks on a whim and are listed as a terrorist organization by our government. THEY have no right to be there. Go live in the hills and leave those folks alone who just want to live. But no they won't do that they come and kill anyone who won't do as they say. That what you support? If so you are lost.
Geez...nine eleven again?

That was a long time ago. They didn't drive any airplanes into any buildings. And I don't care that they were pals with Al Qaeda.

What they do in Afghanistan is their business, not ours. Our business there is to leave as soon as possible.

Do the Taliban have a right to gallivant around your city? Your country?

Old 06-09-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Well detroiter if they come and kill your family I bet you would be singing a different tune. This aint a guy caught speeding and not getting a fair trial. They were caught on the battlefield trying to kill our guys. Now you may not like the war but war it is. Letting these clowns go is complete and utter nonsense. Only thing I can make out of it (after Obama the grand leader declared AQ is dead and we are all fine) is that they want to jack up attacks to justify the spending. Maybe I'm crazy but I've been called worse. Maye Obama should have just said they tossed em all into the ocean and then let em go on the down low. Probably wouldn't be taking as much heat.
They wouldn't be trying to kill our guys if our guys weren't there meddling in their affairs.

Get out of Afghanistan. Problem solved.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:38 PM

88,979 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Thanks sir! You've just outlined the best reason for releasing them.
Why would you want a time limit on how long any country could detain mass murdering terrorists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies