Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 11:42 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,719,269 times

Advertisements

In Seattle at Harborview Hospital a public hospital a staggering 98% of the patients are showing up with insurance thanks or no-thanks to Obama. This is as bad as Medicare, Tricare, VA, or private insurance. One of the arguments of the Tea Party was to force a large number of people to go without insurance to drive costs down. Medicare, Tricare, and VA would be excepted. Now it appears too many people have Obamacare insurance. Whats a Tea Partier to do when too many people have health insurance?

Safety-net hospitals reaping benefit of more insured patients | Local News | The Seattle Times

Old 05-27-2014, 11:47 PM

741 posts, read 764,614 times
With the people who understand what the HCA is and the opportunities it provides ... it's hugely popular. You can take that to the bank!

Old 05-27-2014, 11:53 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,232,491 times
Well, we're glad the hospitals are getting reimbursed but this money doesn't come out of thin air. These patients are mainly qualifying for Medicaid. At some point the federal government will expect Washington state to pick up part of the expense, i.e. the taxpayers. Thats when things will get interesting.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:45 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Ahhh, the first steps towards Universal HC in the US is underway and the RWer political elites can't stand it because they weren't who signed the process into law.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:07 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
With the people who understand what the HCA is and the opportunities it provides ... it's hugely popular. You can take that to the bank!
Of course, when people pay nothing or are heavily subsidized the people will be for it.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:18 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
There is no such thing as too many people having health insurance. The problem is that the health system isn't really set up for all the newly covered patients.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:50 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Ahhh, the first steps towards Universal HC in the US is underway and the RWer political elites can't stand it because they weren't who signed the process into law.
Considering the bad press the V.A is getting, which IS UHC in a smaller fashion, I wouldn't be betting the farm on the rest of us getting it any time soon.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:04 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
If only the fact of having health insurance meant people were being treated properly ( or at all)
Per the VA scandal, how many vets thought they were covered or qualified to receive socialized health care only to have their conditions worsen or die while unaccountable bureaucrats played games with wait lists?

Old 05-28-2014, 06:04 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I love reading threads where the underlying message is, "Gosh it was so much better when poor people just stayed sickly or died." It really helps underscore the immoral nature of opposition to ACA.
My sister lives in Michigan and was one of those people who didn't make enough to buy through the exchanges, but Governor Rick Snyder refused to expand Medicaid in January to cover those in her income range.

Two weeks ago she suffered a serious heart attack. She waited longer than she should have to go to the hospital because she was uninsured and was afraid of the medical bills. As she lay on a ventilator in ICU, I tweeted out my disgust at the governor leaving his constituents out in the cold. I got an immediate response from the governor's office informing me that as it turns out, Snyder felt the political pressure and did expand Medicaid retroactive to April 1st. As a result, all of her medical bills will be covered and she will be able to received ongoing medical care in the future.

I commend Snyder for changing his mind, and I think we'll start to see added pressure being put on these other GOP governors to do the right thing. It's completely unconscionable that they are denying so many Americans from healthcare they are entitled to. I wonder how many thousands of people like my sister there are right now, living in states where governors choose politics over their constituents' lives, who are dying or delaying seeking medical care for conditions that are treatable because they fear the bills. Unconscionable.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:07 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Considering the bad press the V.A is getting, which IS UHC in a smaller fashion, I wouldn't be betting the farm on the rest of us getting it any time soon.
VAMC has some problems that are being worked out. Access is still a problem that has grown so rapidly, the under funded system has not been able to cope yet. If Congress could get the Rs to quit pretending they care about "used up" Vets, those problems can be fixed. Once in the system, my experience with care is very good. So, down the road, it looks pretty good for my daughter and grandkids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies