Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 10:48 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,032 times

Advertisements

I, for the life of me, do not understand how Liberals can compare the Right to Bear Arms to abolishing slavery. Also, Even if only half of the U.S. population owns firearms, even more support the Second Amendment even if they personally do not own a firearm. You guys are starting to believe your own lies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 10:51 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
I, for the life of me, do not understand how Liberals can compare the Right to Bear Arms to abolishing slavery. Also, Even if only half of the U.S. population owns firearms, even more support the Second Amendment even if they personally do not own a firearm. You guys are starting to believe your own lies...
the liberals equate everything to slavery as much as possible. you are a slave if you own a firearm and support the second amendment. you are a slave if you dont own a firearm and support the second amendment. what they want to do is try to convince people that the only way they will be free is to repeal the second amendment, and divest ones self of all their firearms. and then they can make everyone a slave to the government.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:05 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,863,608 times
Owners don't like slaves with guns.

Ya never know when one of 'em will do something crazy.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:35 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,994,528 times
Repealing the Second Amendment is like abolishing slavery? How ironic when, after slavery was abolished, the freedmen could keep and bear arms legally for the first time in their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Owners don't like slaves with guns.

Ya never know when one of 'em will do something crazy.
Yes, like free himself from bondage. However, "none of these rights is absolute", and "we can't allow mentally ill people to have guns", and since the dissatisfied slaves all suffer from drapetomania and thus cannot pass a mental health background check, they can be stripped of their rights.

Yes, if you were a slave and you wanted freedom you were mentally ill - it's one of those aspects of history that has been ever-so-conveniently swept under the carpet. It's part of a long and sordid marriage between government and psychiatry that puts a scientific face behind government advancing its own interests at the expense of the public. People should keep all of this in mind when government seeks to promote "mental health", especially when the means to do so involve curtailing freedom.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:22 PM

546 posts, read 817,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Please stop making stuff up. I did not say the right to bear arms and aboloshing slavery were moral equivalents. I merely used the 13th Amendment as an example that the framers of the constitution (rightly) left in place a mechanism for amending the U.S. constitution. Granted, as another poster mentioned, this is by design (correctly in my view) not an easy process.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:40 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,385,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
Please stop making stuff up. I did not say the right to bear arms and aboloshing slavery were moral equivalents. I merely used the 13th Amendment as an example that the framers of the constitution (rightly) left in place a mechanism for amending the U.S. constitution. Granted, as another poster mentioned, this is by design (correctly in my view) not an easy process.
The wisdom of your OP has been born out again, this time in Vegas.

Guns should only be legal at home and in the workplace. That satisfies the intent of the 2nd. The founders never envisioned a nation of wannabe Rambos.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:45 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
Maybe for you...

Freedom is for all. Not just me.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:55 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
The antiquated 2nd Amendment needs to be repealed. None other then conservative columnist George Will suggested we repeal the "embarassing" 2nd Amendment way back in 1991.

George Will Second Amendment | How Embarrassing: The Constitution Protects the Guns that Kill - Baltimore Sun

I have not checked recently but I am guessing Will may have changed his mind. I don't know and I don't care.

The 2nd Amendment is a blemish on the U.S. constitution....and our gun culture is an embarassing national shame.

No offense to the honest hunters out there. That can be sensibly regulated. But it is the gun nuts who insist they walk into coffee shops and public places with guns that make me sick. Grown men who still want to play army. I'll leave that to our professional men and women in the U.S. military.

And spare me the paranoid speeches about the tyrannical government that is going to knock down your door with the barrel of a gun pointing at your paranoid mind. The government has stockpiles and stockpiles of nuclear weapons. No amount of private gun ownership could stand up to that. A strong democracy does not or should not need such a foolish notion to thrive.

I know I'll be long dead before this ever has a chance of happening...seems the lunatics have taken over. That is the lunatics at the NRA have their fists up the a&* of our elected leaders in Congress.
Pull quote: "Two staggering facts about today's America are the carnage that is a consequence of virtually uncontrolled private ownership of guns, and Americans' toleration of that carnage"

We are not tolerant of the freaking carnage you damned fool, we have laws against people killing other people, with or without guns. Law abiding people don't go around murdering people.

Just make it illegal to kill people George, that will fix it.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:26 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
No, it's not a war. Has the US ever declared a war on Afghanistan, like it did on Germany and Japan in WWII? I don't think so.

And Japan didn't use suicide bombers in WWII? You think Germany and Japan held punches because of some rules of engagement and didn't use every trick in the book?
If we treated Afghanistan like we treated Japan in WWII this war would be over long time ago, but we can't because our involvement in Afghanistan is not a war.

I think your knowledge of history is a little spotty you're hilarious, pal.

[
We didn't declare war in Korea or Vietnam either, but everyone still considers them wars. Rather than his knowledge of history being spotty, it looks me more like a case you resorting to pedantry in an effort to win an argument which you cannot win on actual substance.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:42 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
If there was greater trust and accountability of government and government workers then perhaps...but alas...we won't see that will we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies