Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 07:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
The point is that if you're black and get crappier service at a restaurant than others, now you know why.
No, I don't know why.

Regardless of how well OTHER blacks tip, I'm gonna demand the exact same service as I see the white patrons getting and if I don't get it, the server will wish like hell they'd called in sick.

That's the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 07:16 PM

5,340 posts, read 4,427,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Could the amount of sales the restaurant makes have an effect on that???
No
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Europeans are the worst tippers I have experienced.
Tip etiquette over there is different.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:20 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludja View Post
No
Thanks....that is something I never thought about.

Being wait staff looks like very hard work.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Tipping is a personal choice. Good service good tip. Bad service poor or no tip.
I am guessing that maybe some black people tip based on the quality of service and food they receive. Just guessing here. I have been to restaurants with black friends and have seen the difference in service between what they got and I got. I didn't blame them a bit for not tipping. It happens...

Old 06-08-2014, 07:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
It might go by the amount of sales the restaurant has.

I know the little place near us they can get less and really need the tips.
It's not. Federal minimum wage law requires a minimum of $7.25/hr.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-08-2014 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: quit being so snarky

Old 06-08-2014, 07:29 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

Before you start voting, you should learn about the laws in this country. It will help you make better decisions.
I think the misconception exists because businesses easily circumnavigate this law.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
In Michigan (the state in question), they DO need to make state minimum wage.
Quote:
It might go by the amount of sales the restaurant has.

I know the little place near us they can get less and really need the tips.
Quote:

Before you start voting, you should learn about the laws in this country. It will help you make better decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I think the misconception exists because businesses easily circumnavigate this law.
How so? How can a business circumvent paying the legal wage? The only way I can see it happening is if the employee allows it.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:38 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,856,922 times
This has been around forever.....it definitely doesn't endear black people to wait staffs.

Years ago, I owned a busy restaurant that employed at least a dozen servers on most nights. As is always the case with servers, you had a pretty wide range of personalities, experience, etc. One on particularly busy night, I overheard two of my servers talking. The conversation went something like this:

Server 1: "How did you do on that 8-top?"
Server 2: "Don't even ask -- they ran me ragged, complained that the prices were too high, and left me a $2 tip on a $90 check."
Server 1: "Are you serious?"
Server 2: "Yeah.......I hate Mondays."

I found it a little odd, considering it was Wednesday. The server later told me that "Mondays" was restaurant-speak for "black customers". Years later, at another restaurant I owned, I found out that "Mondays" was also used for "Canadians" as well. Common theme, according to my servers, was that neither group tipped well.

And here I was, thinking that "I Don't Like Mondays" was a song by The Boomtown Rats. You learn something new every day.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:38 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
I love when people like you post stuff like this and display your ignorance of the law. My concern is that many foreigners (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here) never learn our nation's laws.... and then proceed to break them.

In the US, and each and every state within the US, the servers must take home minimum wage according to federal and state laws.

All you have to do is learn the laws where you reside. It's not that hard. Better yet, improve your reading comprehension... since the link to wikipedia you posted says exactly what I said.

"employers may pay tipped labor a minimum of $2.13 per hour, as long as the hourly wage plus tip income equals at least the minimum wage."
Which if you read my post is exactly what I said, tipped workers in a number of states earn below minimum wage, they have to make at least minimum wage which includes tips. To calculate tips it is done through expected tips rather than actual tips. Based on how much business a place does and the hours you work, the amount a server should make is calculated by that.

Personally I am not a fan of paying servers below minimum wage and including their tips into their pay. Tips should be considered on top of minimum wage pay which then makes a server job actually a decent paying job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies