Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 06:20 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times

Advertisements

Wilson High principal comes out as gay at school’s Pride Day

Quote:
Wilson High School Principal Pete Cahall came out to his students as gay at a school-wide Pride Day event Wednesday, shaking as he said that he had “hid in the shadows for the last 50 years” but was inspired by his students to declare his sexual orientation openly.
Quote:
“I’ve hid all my life,” Cahall said. “In this community, with these kids, I’d be a big hypocrite if I didn’t speak my truth.”

Westboro Baptist Church, the Kansas-based organization best known for anti-gay picketing at military funerals, announced that it would protest Wilson’s Pride Day, though that protest is scheduled for next week, on Monday. Westboro announced plans to protest at other Washington institutions that the church believes have been too supportive of gay marriage, including the Supreme Court, the White House and Capitol Hill.
I am sorry but this is just plain ridiculous. Personal opinion aside, this is so, so unprofessional. Nobody cares what this man's sexual preference is. Even if he's gay, in what way does that impact his ability to do his job? I read that someone says that he hid it because he feared for his job. I am just wondering why he would fear for his job in one of the most gay-friendly cities in the country? Where you have leaders who are gay and have given gays many rights. Seems like an excuse and this is all about attention.

Also....
Quote:
Gray called Westboro’s message a “disgrace.”

“In my best Biblical reference, they can go straight to hell,” Gray said.
Mayor Gray is way, way TOO defensive of the gay community. His reactions to protest or opinions that oppose the gay community are extreme. As a mayor of a city, even though the group are a bunch of jerks, there is a more tactful way to respond to this group. He is the same mayor who called Chick Fil-A, "Hate Chicken" and even came out to say that they would never be welcomed in DC (Hello discrimination against businesses? Lawsuit, much?). To me, I don't understand why he becomes so emotional over opinions like this. He is more emotional about this than people who accuse him of running a dirty campaign. Then he also officiated over a gay ceremony. The question, I guess is, when is he just going to come out of the closet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies