Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 02:18 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Rate payers of California are paying millions to correct shoddy work done by a Chinese firm (who have never built such structures previously), and it just keeps getting better: Chinese firm reportedly cost California taxpayers millions extra for spotty bridge work | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 02:23 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
So much for hiring the lowest bidder. I wonder who or whom was paid off to hire these clowns?

Old 06-09-2014, 02:30 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Interesting. I recall reading about this bid several years ago and wondering how it would go. My experience in civil engineering projects that the Chinese had been involved with had me pretty skeptical. Their CE is about as good as their tires.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:31 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
The irony being the conservatives in this state pretty much forced us to accept the Chinese bid instead of the domestic bid claiming it would be cheaper and that they wanted it to not help unions. Not only has it turned out to be more expensive than the American bid but much of the Chinese work has simply been shoddy and of poor quality. Even worse the American bid including building a new metal fabricating facility in the bay area so we would have had new capacity to build bridge components in state for either domestic or export markets.

It was a bad decision all around to let the Chinese get the contract.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:36 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The irony being the conservatives in this state pretty much forced us to accept the Chinese bid instead of the domestic bid claiming it would be cheaper and that they wanted it to not help unions. Not only has it turned out to be more expensive than the American bid but much of the Chinese work has simply been shoddy and of poor quality. Even worse the American bid including building a new metal fabricating facility in the bay area so we would have had new capacity to build bridge components in state for either domestic or export markets.

Of course it's the "conservatives'" fault! Always is, isnt it?

Who controls this State with an iron fist? Dems have a super majority. Dems control EVERYTHING here. What a blatant example of nonsense!

Old 06-09-2014, 02:37 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:

have a link?

Old 06-09-2014, 02:40 PM

Outsourcing everything there is to the Chinese is a Bad Idea, from pet food to manufacturing to in country construction to management of our ports.

I'll be dead when it happens, but I predict that sooner of later the Chinese will seize control of the machinery of our government, and at that point you can kiss sweet America goodbye.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:47 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Of course it's the "conservatives'" fault! Always is, isnt it?

Who controls this State with an iron fist? Dems have a super majority. Dems control EVERYTHING here. What a blatant example of nonsense!
If you knew anything then you'd know the bridge is already built and we're talking about things which happened around a decade ago when we had a Republican governor and the Republicans had a defacto veto in the state legislature.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-14-2014 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 06-09-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
If you knew anything then you'd know the bridge is already built and we're talking about things which happened around a decade ago when we had a Republican governor and the Republicans had a defacto veto in the state legislature.
IIRC the governor was that RINO Schwarzenegger. Who had a legislature controlled by the Dems!

Sorry, but the Bay Bridge debacles are entirely at the feet of the liberal democrat legislature, and all their lackeys.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-14-2014 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 06-09-2014, 03:14 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Whenever I put a job out to bid I automatically threw out the lowest bidder because I knew he was lowballing the job and would make his profit with change orders or skimping on the quality of materials or workmanship. I usually recommended contractors in the mid bid range that used Union workers. That way I could assure the owners they would get a well done job on time.

California was lowballed and cheated by shoddy construction, and now faces expensive repairs, hopefully done by skilled Union workers. The old adage of pay now or pay more later is appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies