Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:58 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,808,481 times

Advertisements

American taxpayers have forked over Trillions in the name of helping the poor since 1964. And what do we have to show for it?

A poverty rate that has barely budged,
An entrenched bureaucracy,
A population like Greece and Portugal, 2 welfare-state basket cases, increasingly dependent on government handouts.

Dare say anything about it and after forking over TRILLIONS, they'll scream... you hate the poor.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:01 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,813,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think petch is on autopilot at this point. He's not actually speaking, just reacting on an instinctual basis
Maybe we should lock petch and dsjj in a room and the winner is the last man standing.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:03 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,813,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
American taxpayers have forked over Trillions in the name of helping the poor since 1964. And what do we have to show for it?

A poverty rate that has barely budged
You are absolutely right on this point. Welfare has become cream to be skimmed more than to help the poor. The poverty rate is actually worse now. After 50 years, and trillions of dollars, not a dent.

Just think how much better off we'd be if we taught the poor to fish, instead of throwing them Tostitos and Twinkies.

25,021 posts, read 27,996,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Maybe we should lock petch and dsjj in a room and the winner is the last man standing.

Quote:
You are absolutely right on this point. Welfare has become cream to be skimmed more than to help the poor. The poverty rate is actually worse now. After 50 years, and trillions of dollars, not a dent.
Exactly. Just giving out more benefits isn't the solution. These people need life skills and an attitude adjustment, first and foremost. They need to learn to properly manage their money, how to conduct themselves in public, etc. They didn't learn these things growing up in poverty. You need to start with the most basic of things, the bottom of Maslow's pyramid. The welfare system right now starts somewhere near the middle, assuming that these people actually had work before and lost it. Not the case with so many.

3,216 posts, read 2,236,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Do you actually think I am the only one who looks down on people on welfare? Not all on welfare but the long termers with "I'm owed" mentality and the one's that have no intention of getting off welfare.

11 States That Have More People On Welfare Than Working

EconomicPolicyJournal.com: 11 States That Have More People On Welfare Than Working

I think many people just dismiss those who question why so many people are on a seemingly endless cycle of welfare as "looking down on poor people". And to your point, they honestly do not seem to understand the growing anger of the lower and middle class who are barely keeping their heads above water. Everytime I go grocery shopping I am hit with higher prices and when I see someone with an EBT card buying things that I cannot afford while trailing three and four children behind them, I get justifiably angry. People with a more liberal view can refuse to see that this is happening all over the country but that will not make it go away.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
lol, nice try steven_h. Your post is simply an attempt to divert attention away from a subject you don't want to talk about. Why is that steven_h?

The only appreciable decline [in the poverty rate] occurred in the 1990s, a time of state experimentation with tightening welfare eligibility, culminating in the passage of national welfare reform.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:08 PM

37,162 posts, read 42,326,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I think many people just dismiss those who question why so many people are on a seemingly endless cycle of welfare as "looking down on poor people". And to your point, they honestly do not seem to understand the growing anger of the lower and middle class who are barely keeping their heads above water. Everytime I go grocery shopping I am hit with higher prices and when I see someone with an EBT card buying things that I cannot afford while trailing three and four children behind them, I get justifiably angry. People with a more liberal view can refuse to see that this is happening all over the country but that will not make it go away.
There it is! LOBSTER!

Old 06-09-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
No, they do not seem to understand the growing anger of the lower and middle class who are barely keeping their heads above water.

It benefits them not to see it. What do they care if the lower and middle class out there busting their asses and just so their check keeps coming. Liberals and the Obama administration is encouraging welfare, that's why they like him so much.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There it is! LOBSTER!
A welfare leach was living with her mother next to mil. MIL was very nervous because her kids were trying to get home from work during a bad snow storm. Welfare leach comes over for a visit and said to mil... "now what fool would be out there driving in that snow". MIL became furious and said "those fools out there working to support your fat ass, now get out".

True

Old 06-09-2014, 07:14 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,236,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There it is! LOBSTER!

Sweetheart, my mother worked in a meat department of a grocery store in 1975 and people were picking out steaks and paying for it with food stamps. You may want to talk about something YOU know nothing about but I don't have to make up stories. Try showing some independent thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies