Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 05:57 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,025 times

Advertisements

I'm a leftist, but I can see that there is definitely a problem with just giving people money.

They don't need money, they need opportunities, training, etc... and no, these are not as abundant as they should be. These people often lack self-efficacy and have been given the impression that they have nothing of value to contribute... it might not be immediately apparent in what she's saying, but I don't think she is proud of herself or happy about the way she's living, more like she's just being realistic about her options and has chosen the best one for herself. She might sound like she's 'got it made', but she also recognizes that there is shame in living as she does and knows that she is being judged by everyone around her.

The solution isn't simply to cut them off either, because it is better that they are living off of the taxpayer's dime than breaking into your house or selling drugs, which is quite likely the alternative.

Take money out of welfare, tax the highest earners and use that money to make higher education/job training free and attainable and this problem will disappear. But as is there are too many financial, social and institutional barriers to success.

But this won't happen because it's cheaper and easier to just give them money.

I completely agree with her-- working is a losing proposition for too many people.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:42 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
I'm a leftist, but I can see that there is definitely a problem with just giving people money.

They don't need money, they need opportunities, training, etc... and no, these are not as abundant as they should be. These people often lack self-efficacy and have been given the impression that they have nothing of value to contribute... it might not be immediately apparent in what she's saying, but I don't think she is proud of herself or happy about the way she's living, more like she's just being realistic about her options and has chosen the best one for herself. She might sound like she's 'got it made', but she also recognizes that there is shame in living as she does and knows that she is being judged by everyone around her.

The solution isn't simply to cut them off either, because it is better that they are living off of the taxpayer's dime than breaking into your house or selling drugs, which is quite likely the alternative.

Take money out of welfare, tax the highest earners and use that money to make higher education/job training free and attainable and this problem will disappear. But as is there are too many financial, social and institutional barriers to success.

I completely agree with her-- working is a losing proposition for too many people.
Exactly. That is my solution. They need training and work opportunities. Might I also suggest that they need training in manners, etiquette, basic life skills, and conflict resolution as well. So many of these people, especially if they are from a poor background since childhood, lack proper manners to conduct themselves outside of their immediate environment. That is also a big barrier to moving up the ladder. There's more we can do, the problem is too many Republicans, excuse me to point fingers like that, just don't want to spend anymore money on anything and would rather we scrap the system or just demonize and mistreat the poor more, like with drug testing. Florida did drug testing, and turns out that the rate of drug abuse was far lower than they expected.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:42 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post

She doesn't sound like she has an ounce of shame. These poor are the same times who claim it's too hard to get a voter ID and you expect any of us believe she would actually show up for work day in and day out. And Democrats supporter her in this excuse. People like this are disgusting pigs.

The highest earners are already being taxed and you want to tax them more. If they start saying enough, then I won't get out of bed either who's these pigs going to get to pay their bills then.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Well doesn't that just push all the right buttons? Almost like it was scripted...Tell me, did she mention eating lobster and driving an Escalade?

Old 06-09-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
She doesn't sound like she has an ounce of shame. These poor are the same times who claim it's too hard to get a voter ID and Democrats supporter her in this excuse. People like this are disgusting pigs.

The highest earners are already being taxed and you want to tax them more.
Petch, I told you already that caller is most likely a spoof, designed to get the base's blood boiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well doesn't that just push all the right buttons? Almost like it was scripted...
I said that on the first page, but petch is too blinded by hatred to see the obvious....

Old 06-09-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Well doesn't that just push all the right buttons? Almost like it was scripted...
To damn hard for lazy asses to get a voter ID how in the hell can we believe they would show up for work 5 days a week.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:46 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
To damn hard for lazy asses to get a voter ID how in the hell can we believe they would show up for work 5 days a week.
Are you trying to speak or having a stroke?

Old 06-09-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I think petch is on autopilot at this point. He's not actually speaking, just reacting on an instinctual basis

Old 06-09-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think petch is on autopilot at this point. He's not actually speaking, just reacting on an instinctual basis
Do you actually think I am the only one who looks down on people on welfare? Not all on welfare but the long termers with "I'm owed" mentality and the one's that have no intention of getting off welfare.

11 States That Have More People On Welfare Than Working

EconomicPolicyJournal.com: 11 States That Have More People On Welfare Than Working

Old 06-09-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Liberal success is getting more taxpayer dollars every year and by that standard, the war has been a remarkable achievement.

The war on poverty has also been a rousing success for the bureaucracy.

Needless to say, taxpayers have been the big losers in the war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies