Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 07:29 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No, 100% is not attainable. But 90,95,99, probably is. We are the ONLY country in the developed world that has anything approaching this level of violence going on, and the vast majority of it is gun violence. It is not mere correlation that we are the only country that has millions upon millions of guns in circulation either. It is not necessary to completely lock down society as you say. These other countries all have limited, regulated possession of guns for legitimate sporting purposes.

The 2nd Amendment was not meant for "sporting" purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:
No, 100% is not attainable. But 90,95,99, probably is. We are the ONLY country in the developed world that has anything approaching this level of violence going on, and the vast majority of it is gun violence. It is not mere correlation that we are the only country that has millions upon millions of guns in circulation either. It is not necessary to completely lock down society as you say. These other countries all have limited, regulated possession of guns for legitimate sporting purposes.
You are very wrong, many of the countries in the developed world have high levels of violent crime.

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Gun free zone = easy targets.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:30 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Interesting you say that because I often times see conservatives being emotionally driven rather than making rational decisions.

Conservatives think logicaly, liberals think emotionaly. It's the old yin yang thing.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:31 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Gun free zone = easy targets.

Helpless targets.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:34 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
You are very wrong, many of the countries in the developed world have high levels of violent crime.
Yeah, purse snatchings, sexual assaults. We are talking about gun violence: innocent people being mowed down in malls, schools, and public places, shot by lovers and adversaries, and accidental deaths by gun. We pretty much own that category in the US.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:43 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Higher because people needed to hunt for food.

That is no longer the case, nor could the founders have known that 200+ years later, morons would be pretending to be patriotic constitution-lovers in order to defend their sick obsession with guns they only play with.
More name calling.

With me, there is no pretending to be patriotic. Despite all of the wrong turns this country made in the past and some we are currently making, I still believe in it and that the Constitution is the best guide we have to getting back on the right path.

Because I post a lot here at C-D in the gun threads, you may think I and others have an obsession. If you read my postings over at some of the home theater forums I frequent, you will think I have an obsession with subwoofers or my postings at some of the DIY forums make it look like I have an obsession with my table saw. My guns are no more than tools to me. The engineering that goes into them is fascinating but that's just because I am extremely interested in how things are built. I watch those types of shows all of the time on the Science Channel.

Playing with guns isn't part of the gun culture. When I handle a weapon or even store it, I have the 4 gun safety rules in mind:
1 - The Gun Is Always Loaded
2 - Never Point The Gun At Something You Are Not Prepared To Destroy
3 - Always Be Sure Of Your Target And What Is Behind It
4 - Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until Your Sights Are On The Target

Even when I train at my house, I keep these rules in mind. No one else is in the room with me. All training is done facing east because there is an empty lot and then about 100 acres of forest in that direction. The weapon is checked at least twice and my dummy ammo (snap caps) are specially colored (bright red and orange) so there is no confusion with real ammunition.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:44 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:
Yeah, purse snatchings, sexual assaults. We are talking about gun violence: innocent people being mowed down in malls, schools, and public places, shot by lovers and adversaries, and accidental deaths by gun. We pretty much own that category in the US.
You mean people being gunned down in "Gun Free Zones".

Old 06-11-2014, 07:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Also who gave them these meds, and if they were given under liberal sponsored entitlement programs like they are in San Francisco to the homeless.
The US does not have a monopoly on crazy people, medicated or not. We sure do have a monopoly on school shootings. This was, I believe, the 74th school shooting since Sandy Hook. It's become a weekly event.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 06-11-2014 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 07:53 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The only hope is a generation of young people who associates the 2nd amendment with school shootings.
First, look at first person shooter video games. Sales are in the millions.

Look at airsoft guns. Based on this report the industry grew at 4.4% over the last 4 years - Air Gun & Airsoft Gun Manufacturing in the US Market Research | IBISWorld A $73M industry doesn't look big at first glance but the majority of these airsoft guns cost about 1/10 the price of a real gun. That's a LOT of replica guns being sold to the under 18 crowd.

Although I don't participate in it, I have noticed more paintball locations and retail stores in my area.

Go ahead and wish that young people will hate guns. I and most of my friends are teaching the next generation about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies