Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 10:25 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
So no progress on a discussion. Let me throw this out.

1. No long guns allowed in city (incorporated) limits. Handguns with permit only, Jail time if caught.

2. Carrying guns in Vehicle must be unloaded and if able broken open. jail time if stopped and found.

3. When near Highways or train lines or airport weapons need to be unloaded and broken open. Jail time

4. A registration of weapons that can trace ownership needs to be developed.

5. Property rights need to be honored. A gun is property as well as the land owner that allows it or disallows it.
1. How will long guns be sold? All guns stores in this area are in cities ranging in size from 5,000 to 50,000 people.
2. Per my state's Constitution, my vehicle is an extension of my house. All rights I have in my home are available to me while in my care.
3. Why?
4. Again, why? Maryland has registration and a database of ballistic data for each registered gun that has helped in solving 1 crime (that was 2 years ago). This cost them well over $100M for one crime solved. How many crimes could have been prevented by putting those resources towards police on the streets?
5. This is the only thing I agree with you about. My house, my rules. When you come to visit I will issue you at minimum a sub-compact pistol to carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Wanting people to live in fear of the guns on every street corner, store, movie theater and public place is what the Founders had in mind?

That's crazy even for a gun nut.
Do you personally fear being shot every time you leave the house?

Let's take the movie theater for example. When I sit down, I look around for all of the exits. It's the smart thing to do in case of any emergency. If anyone acts squirrelly, then I get up and notify the management. I haven't had to do that since the early 90's because I go to the movies about once every 5 years. I'd rather watch it at home since my theater has better picture and sound.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:38 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Start a thread that says there is no rational argument against gay marriage, and watch the conservative emotions fly as they start talking about morals and traditions and other emotional statements.
rubbish, conservatives make arguments base on rigtht and wrong, sorry no emotion there, but liberals make arguments on whats "fair", and that is loaded with emotion. and if you want emotional arguments, read anything jmqueen writes in gun threads, his only arguments are rife with emotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
Ass Burgers and ADHD is just something RX companies invented so they could hock pills to liberals. They aren't real diseases.
actually they are real diseases, and there are those that suffer from them. the problem though is that they are over diagnosed and drugs are over prescribed.

Quote:
The founders never intended for people to use guns as toys, which is what we have today.

Sorry, but even you can't spin it that way.

And it's always interested to hear how gun nuts dismiss not wanting to be mowed down at a movie theater as "emotional insanity." So you think the founders would have ENJOYED our current gun massacres? That they WANTED this situation to exist?

Talk about crazy.
stop and think about what the second amendment was put in the constitution for, and once you realize that, you will start to understand.

i think our founders would have been appalled at the massacres, but they would have worked for sensible solutions rather than knee jerk reactions like yours. you mind is clouded with emotion, and as such you are not thinking clearly. we have more than 300 million people in this country, and you are whining about less than 80 people killing less than what 300 people? is it a tragedy? hell yes it is. can we do anything to prevent it? i dont know. i don know however that timothy mcveigh didnt use a gun to kill 168 people. i do know that 19 terrorists didnt use a gun to kill 3000 people. i don know that ted bundy didnt use a gun to kill 40 people. my point here is you are going after just the guns, and the guns are merely a tool. if you want to stop the killing in this country, lets go after the problem, not the tools used. until we do that, we will never end the killings.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:45 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
The founders never intended for people to use guns as toys, which is what we have today.

And it's always interested to hear how gun nuts dismiss not wanting to be mowed down at a movie theater as "emotional insanity." So you think the founders would have ENJOYED our current gun massacres? That they WANTED this situation to exist?

Talk about crazy.
So you know what the founders intended but have no clue what the real world is like today, you don't even recognize your own spin.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:51 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Do you personally fear being shot every time you leave the house?

Let's take the movie theater for example. When I sit down, I look around for all of the exits. It's the smart thing to do in case of any emergency. If anyone acts squirrelly, then I get up and notify the management. I haven't had to do that since the early 90's because I go to the movies about once every 5 years. I'd rather watch it at home since my theater has better picture and sound.
It's becoming more likely every day, in case you hadn't noticed.

But as you gun lovers say, it's what the Founders would have wanted.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:52 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:

Talk about crazy.

Quote:
Oh, another one who thinks the Founders wanted grown men to play Fisher Price Warrior and enable crazy people to shoot innocent civilians with their toys.

More hyperbole! Where did I EVER say in ANY of my posts that I condone, advocate, or support people shooting innocent civilians? Oh that's right, I didn't!!! Listen queen, I grew up around guns! My step dad had a 12 gauge, a 30-30, a .22 rifle, and a .22 pistol. My step brother also had a 12 gauge, a 30-30 a .22 rifle, a 9mm Beretta, a 44 mag, a bow and arrow, and a cross bow. I knew exactly what they were capable of, and took them very seriously. None of them have ever been used in a shooting spree. I'll tell you what though, I sure as hell felt a lot safer knowing they were in my house. But go on with your little fantasy that gun supporters are all anxious to get into shoot outs. I suppose you also think that those who go to shooting ranges for target practice are just "playing" huh?

Old 06-11-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
More hyperbole! Where did I EVER say in ANY of my posts that I condone, advocate, or support people shooting innocent civilians? Oh that's right, I didn't!!! Listen queen, I grew up around guns! My step dad had a 12 gauge, a 30-30, a .22 rifle, and a .22 pistol. My step brother also had a 12 gauge, a 30-30 a .22 rifle, a 9mm Beretta, a 44 mag, a bow and arrow, and a cross bow. I knew exactly what they were capable of, and took them very seriously. None of them have ever been used in a shooting spree. I'll tell you what though, I sure as hell felt a lot safer knowing they were in my house. But go on with your little fantasy that gun supporters are all anxious to get into shoot outs. I suppose you also think that those who go to shooting ranges for target practice are just "playing" huh?
Playing that costs anywhere from 25 cents to $5 for every trigger pull. Even with the cost of .22LR, it's not cost effective to just go shooting. I work on a skill every time I go shooting and pay attention to each shot.

My last class cost almost $1,000 for a weekend. That included 750 rounds of 5.56x45NATO, 250 rounds of 9x19mm, cost of the class and misc equipment. To get to the level of competency of the video below costs many thousands of dollars in practice rounds. The instructors in the video were my instructors. I didn't come close to getting those times but I improved between each measurement. The training taught me how to practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlWiNqWvdog

Old 06-11-2014, 11:40 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
It's becoming more likely every day, in case you hadn't noticed.

But as you gun lovers say, it's what the Founders would have wanted.
do you even have a clue as to the real world, and what the founders wanted? or do you live in a sequestered part of society and all you see is the news and the whine about school shootings? also have you ever noticed that the news rarely tells about gang shootings, and other crimes? some guy shoots up a black neighborhood because they are a different gang, and no one really cares, but shoot up a schoo, with rich white children and everyone wants to hang the progun crowd because somehow we are all responsible despite the fact that the true progun crowd preaches gun safety, and 90% of all the guns in the US have never been used in a crime.

this just goes to show the lack of thought that goes into the reactions of the gun haters in this and every other country in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
in fact no one advocates or supports the killing of innocent people, at least no one that is sane does. i also grew up around guns, i learned at an early age about gun safety, and proper shooting methods, and one of my instructors was a former marine sniper, so i had good teachers.

but as i continue to say, GUNS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM, the problem is PEOPLE. a gun is an inanimate object that requires a human agency to operate. blaming a gun for a shooting is like blame a car for some idiot running a red light and plowing into a station wagon full of nuns. but until the antigun crowd understands that simple concept, they will always go off on an emotional tirade against guns, and continue to show what fools they are.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:41 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
So no progress on a discussion. Let me throw this out.

1. No long guns allowed in city (incorporated) limits. Handguns with permit only, Jail time if caught.

Already done

2. Carrying guns in Vehicle must be unloaded and if able broken open. jail time if stopped and found.

If no permit , this is already a law

3. When near Highways or train lines or airport weapons need to be unloaded and broken open. Jail time

This would be tough to do, think..if your a permit holder , everytime you cross a railway you need to stop and unload ?

4. A registration of weapons that can trace ownership needs to be developed.

Already done, for new purchases and handguns. needs to be expanded to private sales of long guns.

5. Property rights need to be honored. A gun is property as well as the land owner that allows it or disallows it.

Don't understand this one.

Anything else ?

Old 06-11-2014, 11:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
rubbish, conservatives make arguments base on rigtht and wrong, sorry no emotion there, but liberals make arguments on whats "fair", and that is loaded with emotion. and if you want emotional arguments, read anything jmqueen writes in gun threads, his only arguments are rife with emotion

actually they are real diseases, and there are those that suffer from them. the problem though is that they are over diagnosed and drugs are over prescribed.

stop and think about what the second amendment was put in the constitution for, and once you realize that, you will start to understand.

i think our founders would have been appalled at the massacres, but they would have worked for sensible solutions rather than knee jerk reactions like yours. you mind is clouded with emotion, and as such you are not thinking clearly. we have more than 300 million people in this country, and you are whining about less than 80 people killing less than what 300 people? is it a tragedy? hell yes it is. can we do anything to prevent it? i dont know. i don know however that timothy mcveigh didnt use a gun to kill 168 people. i do know that 19 terrorists didnt use a gun to kill 3000 people. i don know that ted bundy didnt use a gun to kill 40 people. my point here is you are going after just the guns, and the guns are merely a tool. if you want to stop the killing in this country, lets go after the problem, not the tools used. until we do that, we will never end the killings.
Conservatives make arrangements based on what they receive to be right and wrong based on their own emotions. If they went off rational thought, gay marriage would be legal and have the support of conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies