Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:43 PM

833 posts, read 1,199,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
I agree with you. The problem is the Gun Right Denialists would drag the country into a bloody civil war before giving up their precious weapons.

Americans (both liberals and conservatives) worship their guns. They see the world through a paranoid lens and here is what you get. A massive arms race among the common citizenry, making guns easily accessible to anyone who in a fit of rage and anger, can go on a shooting rampage and inflict death and destruction in a matter of minutes.

Other 1st world nations which have entirely banned guns experience a fraction of the gun violence we do. But you can be rest assured the Gun Rights Denialists will come out after every shooting and blame everything under the sun (mental illness, Liberalism, moral decay, young entitled punks, not enough good guys with guns) except placing the blame squarely where it should lie.....our cultural obsession with guns and its easy accessibility
Once again. The gun violence. What you fail to mention is that their violent crime rates either skyrocketed or remained the same.

If we banned guns tomorrow I will tell you what will happen. Bombs will be blowing schools up, knifes will be killing children, IED's will be on roads, and just about any other weapon easily created will pop up. Banning guns will only turn a gun problem into another problem. You CAN NOT stop violence. You CAN NOT change the mentality of Americans. Canada has quite a few guns per person. How many school shootings do they have? You CAN NOT simply pick up every gun in America. It won't happen, and it can't happen.

I have a solution to all the school shootings. Stop publicizing it. These copy cat shooters would stop. Instead, we make these guys celebrities overnight. Ever notice that all these guys have the same MO?

You'll never have peace on stolen land. You'll never ban guns on a country founded and built on guns. If you don't like it move. I heard the UK is crime free...........

Old 06-10-2014, 02:44 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
Do you know your history? What happened to just about every nation that ended up banning guns? If you think you're safe and big brother is going to take care of you, you are dead wrong, pun intended.

Have you ever been a victim of an attack and had to wait for the police to show up? That is, if you had the chance to call them? If you don't know, don't speak.
Maybe you should learn a little history yourself and study this?

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-10-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Maybe you should learn a little history yourself and study this?

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What in the living heck does that have to do with what I wrote? Are you too blind to understand?

Old 06-10-2014, 03:00 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
Quote:
What in the living heck does that have to do with what I wrote? Are you too blind to understand?
That countries that have banned guns have lower homicide rates. I understand, and no smoke screen can change that fact.

I'm not advocating a ban, but rather giving an answer to an attempt to pretend gun bans don't stop violence, because statistics prove they work.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:00 PM

463 posts, read 559,575 times
Quote:
Do you know your history? What happened to just about every nation that ended up banning guns? If you think you're safe and big brother is going to take care of you, you are dead wrong, pun intended.

Have you ever been a victim of an attack and had to wait for the police to show up? That is, if you had the chance to call them? If you don't know, don't speak.
Oh great....here comes the "Hitler Banned Guns" Brigade.....

Old 06-10-2014, 03:25 PM

141 posts, read 116,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
Oh great....here comes the "Hitler Banned Guns" Brigade.....
Australia banned guns and I haven't seen any death camps set up yet. And the notion that you'd be able to take on the U.S. government with just some small arms is kind of laughable. Maybe we should extend right to bear arms to c-4 explosives and ground to air heat seeking rocket launchers so that any wacko could take out an aircraft on appoach or landing. You at least need rpg's to take out black hawk helicopters in your imaginary war with the u.s. government in the next "revolution"

Old 06-10-2014, 03:29 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
I do think it's time to make people legally liable for not keeping their guns secured. A high school kid can not buy a gun legally, so he probably got it from an adult relative who was negligent. If you can afford a gun, you can afford a gun safe to store it in.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:30 PM

Maybe some anti tank weaponry as well since how are you suppoesed to defend against a tank with nothing but a 9mm glock?

Maybe walmart can sell these. And some man portable At-4's would come in handy as well. LOL

Old 06-10-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
That countries that have banned guns have lower homicide rates. I understand, and no smoke screen can change that fact.

I'm not advocating a ban, but rather giving an answer to an attempt to pretend gun bans don't stop violence, because statistics prove they work.
Simply untrue. Here is a little bit from a HARVARD study.

"In the 46-page study, which can be read in its entirety here, Kates and Mauser looked at and compared data from the U.S. and parts of Europe to show that stricter laws don’t mean there is less crime. As an example, when looking at “intentional deaths,” or murder, on an international scope, the U.S. falls behind Russia, Estonia, and four other countries, ranking it seventh. More specifically, data shows that in Russia, where guns are banned, the murder rate is significantly higher than in the U.S in comparison. “There is a compound assertion that guns are uniquely available in the United States compared with other modern developed nations, which is why the United States has by far the highest murder rate. Though these assertions have been endlessly repeated, [the latter] is, in fact, false and [the former] is substantially so,” the authors point out, based on their research."

You fail to point the finger at the real problem. Our culture in America, mental health issues, violent movies, video games, the media, etc. We have a real problem in America, and it is not the guns, it is the people.

Canada has 30.8 guns per person Less than 0.3% of all the firearms in Canada are used for a violent purpose (violent crime, suicide or accident). Physical force, knives and blunt instruments are the most common weapons involved in violent crime in Canada; firearms, of all types, are used in just 2%. Why isn't Canada having the same issues we are having?

Old 06-10-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I do think it's time to make people legally liable for not keeping their guns secured. A high school kid can not buy a gun legally, so he probably got it from an adult relative who was negligent. If you can afford a gun, you can afford a gun safe to store it in.
Gun Safes are mainly for ACTUAL children so they don't accidentally kill themselves playing cops and robbers. It's not about stopping a suicidal homicidal maniac teenager(not a little kid anymore) from murdering the parents and/or stealing the guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies