Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:15 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
Not everyone shares your values that sex should, by law, be reserved for those who are married.

Why not stone the boy? What you advocate is closer to stoning than you are willing to admit.
You are making some wild assumptions, I don't believe sex is only for married people and I am FAR from puritannical. Frankly I think people who believe a child of 13 should be indulging in sex are SICK.

You clearly have no real idea of what the whole reason for the sex offenders list is for. They compile a flyer on the site for a reason, so people can print it out and distribute it.

Its done all the time with the BLESSING of law enforcement.

The fact that you are MORE concerned about the civil rights of the sex offender then you are his victims speaks volumes.

The law recognizes that 13 is too young for someone to have sex AND that 15 is old enough to know better.

If you object to the sex offender registry and its uses, then you should definetly do something about it, speak to your congressman or something but until the law changes, things will continue. Its just one more victory in trying to protect the victims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 07:32 AM

626 posts, read 993,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
You are making some wild assumptions, I don't believe sex is only for married people and I am FAR from puritannical. Frankly I think people who believe a child of 13 should be indulging in sex are SICK.
Where did I say they should be having sex? I said that it's a natural desire. Everyone has this desire. It's society that says this is wrong. You teach your children to control their desires. Should they fail, they should be reprimanded, but their lives should not be ruined. You advocate ruining the lives of those who indulge.

Quote:
You clearly have no real idea of what the whole reason for the sex offenders list is for. They compile a flyer on the site for a reason, so people can print it out and distribute it.
I know exactly what it is for. Our penal system is a failure. So instead of improving the system, they create a system that encourages vigilantism.

Quote:
Its done all the time with the BLESSING of law enforcement.
Not all law enforcement officers agree with this.

Quote:
The fact that you are MORE concerned about the civil rights of the sex offender then you are his victims speaks volumes.
I am not talking about adults molesting children. I am talking about sexual relations between children. You keep trying to divert the argument. I'm not falling for these tactics.

Quote:
The law recognizes that 13 is too young for someone to have sex AND that 15 is old enough to know better.
You do realize that this law varies from state to state, right? That means that people do not all agree on this issue. I realize that you're one of those people that prefers to view the law as perfect because you prefer rigid social structures, but the reality is that life is not well-defined. We make up these laws as we go. Many are flawed and to say that we should not question the law is...well...a horrible, horrible argument.

Quote:
If you object to the sex offender registry and its uses, then you should definetly do something about it, speak to your congressman or something but until the law changes, things will continue. Its just one more victory in trying to protect the victims.
First of all, this is handled at the state level, not the federal. You apparently didn't know this. Secondly, I am completely against putting minors who are guilty of non-violent sex offenses on the list. I have made my opinion known in the state of Florida. Unfortunately, the masses are not always rational. Parents are afraid of men like John Evander Couey, so they're acting out of fear rather than out of knowledge. When people make decisions based upon fear, rather than well-reasoned arguments, it only makes a bad situation worse.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:41 AM

I think your wrong.

The sex offender database is a NATIONAL database. I am aware that the states do have a right to define things differently, the age of consent varies from state to state etc.

Frankly your condescending tone is telling as well as your championing of the rights of the offenders.

I am glad we have the sex offender website and I will personally crucify anyone that comes in my path that has their name on it, that is my responsibility as a parent.

I hope for your sake that you don't have any children.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:41 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
I know exactly what it is for. Our penal system is a failure. So instead of improving the system, they create a system that encourages vigilantism.

Not all law enforcement officers agree with this.
Well, I must respectfully disagree -

A man, convicted of raping a young girl in 1995 and sent to prison, was released from jail this past Monday. He was a registered sex offender. He had intensive counseling while in prison. A model prisoner so they say

Tuesday, he pulled a 4 year old girl off a Jungle Jim at a park and tore clothes off - and his. The girl was screaming. People heard her and got her attacker off her and held him until police arrived.

Now, if true vigilantism is as prevalent as you try to suggest, this man would be (should be imo) DEAD. He is not. He is back in jail.

He should never have been released in the first place.

IMO, any person who sexually abuses a child should receive the death penalty.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:47 AM

Texas is proposing making the death penalty OR life imprisonment in some of these kinds of cases, only the most extreme I'm sure.

I have heard although I have not checked it out that Louisiana already has such laws.

I just can't imagine what kind of person would be MORE concerned about the rights of the offender then the right of his future victims.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I think your wrong.

The sex offender database is a NATIONAL database. I am aware that the states do have a right to define things differently, the age of consent varies from state to state etc.
So, you say that I'm wrong, then you say that I'm right. Based upon your posts, I don't think you even know the law.

Quote:
Frankly your condescending tone is telling as well as your championing of the rights of the offenders.
I am not being condescending. If you have an inferiority complex, that's your problem, not mine. I am stating facts. You're stating "feelings".

Quote:
I am glad we have the sex offender website and I will personally crucify anyone that comes in my path that has their name on it, that is my responsibility as a parent.
Crucifixion is illegal. Do you mean you'll do this literally or figuratively? To this point, you've come across as a very violent person, so I'm not sure. Perhaps there should be a registry for helicopter parents, as well.

Quote:
I hope for your sake that you don't have any children.
I know what you're trying to say, here. However, your assessment is entirely flawed.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Well, I must respectfully disagree -

A man, convicted of raping a young girl in 1995 and sent to prison, was released from jail this past Monday. He was a registered sex offender. He had intensive counseling while in prison. A model prisoner so they say

Tuesday, he pulled a 4 year old girl off a Jungle Jim at a park and tore clothes off - and his. The girl was screaming. People heard her and got her attacker off her and held him until police arrived.

Now, if true vigilantism is as prevalent as you try to suggest, this man would be (should be imo) DEAD. He is not. He is back in jail.

He should never have been released in the first place.

IMO, any person who sexually abuses a child should receive the death penalty.
This is purely anecdotal. It's hardly conclusive. I said that the system encourages vigilantism, not that every sex offender is killed by vigilantes. Your argument is horribly flawed.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Texas is proposing making the death penalty OR life imprisonment in some of these kinds of cases, only the most extreme I'm sure.

I have heard although I have not checked it out that Louisiana already has such laws.

I just can't imagine what kind of person would be MORE concerned about the rights of the offender then the right of his future victims.
Another post based upon flawed logic. You keep using diversion and straw man arguments. I will not let you get away with this unscrupulous debate strategy.

At no point did I state that I don't think that people like John Evander Couey deserve to be on the list or that they don't deserve punishment. My point, from the beginning is that non-violent minor offenders do not belong on the list. You keep using examples of crimes that are far more serious to make a fallacious point. I know why you do this, because your stance is based upon fear rather than logic. You cannot make a logical argument for putting non-violent minor offenders on the sex offender registry.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
This is purely anecdotal. It's hardly conclusive. I said that the system encourages vigilantism, not that every sex offender is killed by vigilantes. Your argument is horribly flawed.
Not flawed at all

The noticing to the communities about the existence of a sex offender in their area is a good thing.

The new national website to identify sex offenders is a great thing

Rather than vigilantism as you suggest - it is a tool to allow people - with children or not, to protect themselves and their kids for potential peril. Sex offenders, regardless of the intensity of treatment, have one of, if not THE, highest rates of recidivism of any criminal.

The community has the right, the obligation, to protect themselves. And, knowing the existence of a sex offender in their community is absolutely vital

Or, are you suggesting that these “offenders” should just “blend” in without anyone knowing who they are?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Another post based upon flawed logic. You keep using diversion and straw man arguments. I will not let you get away with this unscrupulous debate strategy.

At no point did I state that I don't think that people like John Evander Couey deserve to be on the list or that they don't deserve punishment. My point, from the beginning is that non-violent minor offenders do not belong on the list. You keep using examples of crimes that are far more serious to make a fallacious point. I know why you do this, because your stance is based upon fear rather than logic. You cannot make a logical argument for putting non-violent minor offenders on the sex offender registry.
There is no such thing as a "minor" offense - especially when it comes to actions taken with children

Do you realize that many of these so called "minor" offenses were as a result of a plea deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies