Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:45 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
When you talk like that it shows you have a poor grasp of the issue. The illegals are not here for benefits, they are here for work. They work like slaves for slave wages. You ought to know that. Their kids do end in our schools and the citizen ones get free this and that. But the reason they come is to find work, to make money, to buy and have things that would never be possible for them in their home countries. I'm not saying that is a reason to let them come. But we should put our focus on making it impossible to find work if we want to stem the tide.

Yes, but they also obtain a bunch of assistance from our government. Again, cut off the freebies, do away with anchor babies, crack down on businesses who hire them, and finally deport every last one of them. Get rid of the incentives that enable them to come here illegally and having no intentions of becoming citizens, and perhaps they'll try to fix what is broken in their own country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 08:57 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Mexico is completely ignoring their duties as a nation in respect to controlling their population and their border. Their cartels import drugs, weapons and slaves into the US. Their unhappy citizens cross our border in droves illegally.

If I was elected president the first call I make would be to the Mexican president making it clear that I see it as an act of war their complete failure to stop the drugs and the illegals.

Secure your country or we will do it for you and you might find Mexico to be 3 or 4 States in the US.
I was trying to avoid this topic but here I am.

No, there would be not justification for war.

First off, I didn't realize I country was supposed to control a population. Certainly the constitution of the United States suggest that American government isn't supposed to control. Mexico is not different.

The Cartel is out of their control really. There may be some corruption involved, but really, our politicians are slaves to business men. Between drug lords and business men, we have the better deal, but it still influences government in a negative way.

And people are immigrating? So? Yes, illegal immigration is wrong, but we shouldn't turn people away. Isn't that the point of America, a place where people of any culture or ethnicity can come to escape suffering from their homeland? Or does that only qualify for people you deem worthy?

Either way, too many treaties and economic agreements are in the way for a war to be fought with Mexico. Having poverty and crime, some we have in the US with politicians seemingly ignoring it, are not severe enough for a declaration of war to ever be made.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:58 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It doesn't matter! Coming here illegally is against our immigration laws and they are stealing jobs and reducing wages and stealing taxes that should be for our own citizens. Who does this country belong to illegal Mexicans (or other illegals) or our own citizens? Mexican citizens are the responsibility of the Mexican government not ours. They need to seek change in their own country for their so-called suffering. Coming here illegally and reeking havoc on us is not the answer.

They aren't all working either. All they have to do is produce one anchor baby and they are entitled to all kinds of government handouts thru them compliments of the U.S. taxpayer.

You say you are an American citizen then why don't you respect our immigration laws? Are you one who is blinded by ethnic ties? Respecting our laws is a part of the assimilation process.
Stealing jobs?

Business, especially small business, seek undocumented workers.

Planes chock full of Eastern European men with skills and tourist visas, arrive at JFK and ORD each day. They will work the season, return home, rinse and repeat, next year.

Consumers want all the benifits of cheap labor and then complain about the consequences.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:04 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
So you're ok with the people in Mexico being so desperate that they would risk their very lives to come here with no documentation, risk of incarceration and deportation back with less than they had before?
No. But you specifically asked if war is justified, and that is a resounding no.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
AZ has had mandatory everify for several years now and to some extent it works. It works for legitimate businesses like McDonalds or the local carwash. If you frequent those places you will see teens and others who were displaced for years back behind the counter. But it fails miserably in others like home construction. There the workaround is that builders hire subs. The subs are legal but the people they bring to the job site are not. Pay is under the table. The practice was exposed in a TV investigation here and the builders just washed their hands of it saying they were shocked and appalled, but unfortunately powerless to do anything. Sheriff Joe did not run out to a home development and round anyone up either.

So many are benefiting from the cheap labor it is not going to be corralled any time soon. It's not just the builders, those homes cost less for a buyer, too, and makes homes more affordable in places like Texas and AZ. We pay on the backend, in higher taxes and social burdens.
The Woodlands in Texas is a substantially upscale community built on the backs of undocumented workers and the subs and general contractors who profit from it. It's the latter group that donate to politicians to ensure business as usual. One is hard-pressed to find anything constructed by documented workers in some states.

There are reasons why US consumers live in more square footage than the rest of the world. Kids rarely share bedrooms anymore and most people reject homes with only one bath. Then they turn around and complain about the lack of affordable housing.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:07 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Stealing jobs?

Business, especially small business, seek undocumented workers.

Planes chock full of Eastern European men with skills and tourist visas, arrive at JFK and ORD each day. They will work the season, return home, rinse and repeat, next year.

Consumers want all the benifits of cheap labor and then complain about the consequences.
They may not be "stealing" the jobs but many of them are working under the table for cash or are underbidding jobs and consequently causing low wages.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
When you talk like that it shows you have a poor grasp of the issue. The illegals are not here for benefits, they are here for work. They work like slaves for slave wages. You ought to know that. Their kids do end in our schools and the citizen ones get free this and that. But the reason they come is to find work, to make money, to buy and have things that would never be possible for them in their home countries. I'm not saying that is a reason to let them come. But we should put our focus on making it impossible to find work if we want to stem the tide. It's the same for drugs. Reduce demand and the supply problem takes care of itself.
Generally speaking they come here for the same reasons our ancestors did, better opportunities for themselves and their families.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:41 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
Quote:
Mexico is completely ignoring their duties as a nation in respect to controlling their population and their border. Their cartels import drugs, weapons and slaves into the US. Their unhappy citizens cross our border in droves illegally.

If I was elected president the first call I make would be to the Mexican president making it clear that I see it as an act of war their complete failure to stop the drugs and the illegals.

Secure your country or we will do it for you and you might find Mexico to be 3 or 4 States in the US.
Dick Cheney, is that you???

Old 06-11-2014, 10:43 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
They may not be "stealing" the jobs but many of them are working under the table for cash or are underbidding jobs and consequently causing low wages.
So - they're in fact given jobs.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:10 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It doesn't matter! Coming here illegally is against our immigration laws and they are stealing jobs and reducing wages and stealing taxes that should be for our own citizens. Who does this country belong to illegal Mexicans (or other illegals) or our own citizens? Mexican citizens are the responsibility of the Mexican government not ours. They need to seek change in their own country for their so-called suffering. Coming here illegally and reeking havoc on us is not the answer.

They aren't all working either. All they have to do is produce one anchor baby and they are entitled to all kinds of government handouts thru them compliments of the U.S. taxpayer.

You say you are an American citizen then why don't you respect our immigration laws? Are you one who is blinded by ethnic ties? Respecting our laws is a part of the assimilation process.
When did i say Illegal immigration was right?

Why are you questioning my citizenship? Just because i am Mexican American, you say i am not "assimilated" because i disagree with you? So in order to be assimilated i must have the same political beliefs as you? Why are you questioning my loyalty to just because i am of the same ethnicity as them?

Again all the stereotypes about welfare handouts is garbage. I have never had a handout. Most people don't get a handout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies