Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 10:25 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,013 times

Advertisements

I am astonished!

I just watched our Bumbler-in-Chief's press conference and - gulp - I agreed with him!!!

He said we can't get involved until they get their own ducks in order. In other words, after all the years of ignoring minorities, the hen has come home to roost and it's not our role to fix it.

We gave Iraq a chance at freedom - and they blew it.

Now, Iran will bring in more and more troops and we will see some truly brutal fighting. And, Putin will back them behind the scenes in order to keep his options open. He's also probably playing the game by upping support to Syria's Assad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 10:32 AM

1,347 posts, read 953,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
We can bomb the terrorists by the use of drones. No more land wars. You think people would learn by now that we aren't going to win people over in that part of the world.
Anyone with ten seconds of military experience could tell you that that would be not an effective method against thousands of fighters, most of whom are scattered/hiding in civilian homes with lots of civilian/human shields.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:33 AM

864 posts, read 799,435 times
Obama should just let someone else handle all of his foreign policy initiatives. Maybe a trained ape? He might do better than Obummer. The guy has Syria, Benghazi, Kiev, and now Mosul on his watch.

Wait wait, I know what you're going to say liberals. Those are all Dubya's fault. LOL

Old 06-13-2014, 10:36 AM

1,347 posts, read 953,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think it's a good question, because I, for one, am also getting tired of chickenhawks--especially the ones who are at prime enlistment age.
If a person complained that there was too much crime, an adult response is not to tell them to join the police force. If a person said they wanted to improve the schools in your district, an adult would not tell them to become a teacher. If a person wanted to improve the roads in your city, an adult would not tell them to become a road worker.

Telling people to "go sign up" when they believe a military solution is the correct one, during a time of a volunteer army, is a sign of a defeated, immature and wholly juvenile response from someone incapable of debating with facts.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:35 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
China doesn't invade and demand regime change. They purchase your product. whatever it is. They exist strictly to deal, not to conflict. Nothing has changed with China since Marco Polo and the silk trade. you don't see any Chinese troops permanently stationed in any other country, except China.

they are the middle kingdom.
China plays their game well. Slow creep.............now into Africa for them.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Unfortunately, our major oil companies export a good percentage of that for higher profit. Free enterprise and all that, you know. That's why America depends on stability in the ME and will defend it with force if necessary. No politician wants long lines at the gas pump.
Oil is traded in US dollars. That is why we go to war............no other reason. Deal was cut way back in the day.............seventies when we went off the gold standard. OPEC said they would only trade in dollars and we said we will protect you. Been the same since...........the ones who tried to cross it have been killed. Why the US dollar is still the big dog. Some are trying to change that.............I don't blame em.........

Old 06-13-2014, 11:41 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
If a person complained that there was too much crime, an adult response is not to tell them to join the police force. If a person said they wanted to improve the schools in your district, an adult would not tell them to become a teacher. If a person wanted to improve the roads in your city, an adult would not tell them to become a road worker.

Telling people to "go sign up" when they believe a military solution is the correct one, during a time of a volunteer army, is a sign of a defeated, immature and wholly juvenile response from someone incapable of debating with facts.
No.

When, for instance, the US went to war in 1941, "Go sign up" was indeed what was said and what people did.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Funny thing....China has the majority of the oil contracts in Iraq.

I strongly encourage them to defend their interests.

Also we now produce as much oil as we use. Funny that.
Who cares. Let em get it out of the ground............it's traded in US dollars in the end though. Now China does want that to end. They will wait it all out. What they are good at. In the end they will come out. We can't keep going and they know it. Rough times ahead for the old USofA. Most don't realize it or care. Will just find somebody to blame.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Everyone in Washington was involved in concocting a justification to maintain forces in Saudi Arabia that did not involve admitting it was for the sweetheart oil contracts.
As I said previously.......oil contracts mean nothing. Sure they make folks money of course...........but in the end that oil is traded in US dollars. All that matters................to the US. When that ends............which it will from what I've been seeing.......we will be in a world of hurt. Something nobody gets. Especially the folks who cry about the evil oil companies.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
First of all, I could never agree to leaving US troops behind on the conditions that were being put forward by Iraq.

Bold: And to think that last October Afghanistan was to sign a SOFA with the US, refused to do so, and Obama threatened early withdrawal. Here we are nine months later, a new Afghan President and still no signing of a SOFA and US troops are still in Afghanistan. It's clear that Afghanistan has no intent on signing one, or they are putting conditions on the SOFA, so why wait for the "withdrawal" date, stick to the threat and pull ALL of troops
It appears our Sec of State isn't doing his job. Not a shock either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies