Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 11:11 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,952,873 times

Advertisements

I don't think this paper suggests what the OP thinks it does.

Major West Antarctic glacier melting from geothermal sources -- ScienceDaily

The summary from the above link:

"New research on the Thwaits Glacier will help ice sheet modeling efforts needed to determine when the collapse of the glacier will begin in earnest and at what rate the sea level will increase as it proceeds."

Also:

"Knowledge of the heat distribution beneath Thwaites Glacier is crucial information that enables ice sheet modelers to more accurately predict the response of the glacier to the presence of a warming ocean."

Here is a link to the authors home page:

index

And we have this:

index

It appears, from my brief reading, that Mr. Schroeder acknowledges the warming of the oceans, and that the Thwaits Glacier will collapse: indeed, due to the presence of the magna underneath, it will possibly collapse faster than originally thought.

I could be wrong about his conclusions, since it is my lunchtime and I have little time to read such. I would be interested in hearing from knowledgeable people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 11:12 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,730,214 times
I'm starting to realize that the folks who want to not believe the simple theory of climate change aren't even trying to discredit the theory of climate change or debate those in the reality based community, they are just trying to keep up the act to fool themselves.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:30 AM

15,580 posts, read 10,301,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
pfft, as soon as they read this thread they will be frothing at the mouth and pounding their keyboards to tell us that texas is wrong, the researchers are idiots, that global warming is the cause of everything bad in the world, that we dont have a clue, that the report actually came from a blog and not a real scientist, etc. we are going to be deluged with excuses as to why we are wrong on this, and they know all, see all, and tell all taht were are deniers and only they know the truth.
Agree, rbohm. I don't even bother with the retorts, which are usually personal attacks and insults, and deflections from the global warming fanatics, as the Science speaks for itself again and again and again that global warming hysteria is a political farce.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-11-2014 at 11:58 AM..

Old 06-11-2014, 11:32 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,148,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Missed one - the oil companies paid for the report.

don't worry, the feds paid for all the science behind global warming as well. that means the global warming conclusions was always suspect anyway.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:42 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,466,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Agree, rbohm. I don't even bother with the retorts from the global warming fanatics, as the Science speaks for itself again and again and again that global warming is a political farce.
But if you believe this paper disputes the idea of man made climate change, then you clearly haven't read it. It does no such thing. You say the science speaks for itself, but do you actually read the science?

Old 06-11-2014, 11:42 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,019,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Have you read the actual paper? I am betting you haven't.

If you had, you'd see that at no point do the researchers deny that man-made climate change is contributing to the eroding of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. They simply provide evidence that volcanic activity is also a contributing factor. This has actually been suspected for quite some time, and is hardly news.

Once again, anti-science fanatics spin stories deceptively to suit their twisted ideological agenda. I don't know how you people sleep at night...

Evidence for elevated and spatially variable geothermal flux beneath the West Antarctic Ice Sheet
And this why I always wait for a sane post before posting.

Idiots always grasp on to a small section of an idea instead of trying to understand the whole.

In any case, science is never "settled". That's the nature of "science". There's overwhelming evidence of global warming, and only idiots believe otherwise, but the science surrounding it is still being understood.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:43 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,671,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Missed one - the oil companies paid for the report.
i humbly beg your forgiveness master, i have no excuse for such a mistake, please dont beat me again.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:44 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,943,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Agree, rbohm. I don't even bother with the retorts from the global warming fanatics, as the Science speaks for itself again and again and again that global warming is a political farce.
You may want to consider... I don't know, actually reading links before proclaiming to know whatever science they contain.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:53 AM

20,408 posts, read 12,299,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
pfft, as soon as they read this thread they will be frothing at the mouth and pounding their keyboards to tell us that texas is wrong, the researchers are idiots, that global warming is the cause of everything bad in the world, that we dont have a clue, that the report actually came from a blog and not a real scientist, etc. we are going to be deluged with excuses as to why we are wrong on this, and they know all, see all, and tell all taht were are deniers and only they know the truth.

Yea im waiting on some libloon to come along and start yelling TEXAS IS BOUGHT AND PAID FOR BY BIG OIL!

you know its coming.... LOL

(thats when I going to point out that one of the top Warmists Climate Scientist in the world is a professor at Texas A&M....

Old 06-11-2014, 11:55 AM

20,408 posts, read 12,299,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
So even if this is true does it address melting in the Artic? You know the end of the globe where about 1% of the ice melts every year.

Dwindling Arctic Ice : Feature Articles
LOL... did you see the report just out from the US Geological Survey that says permafrost is expanding?

(they were quick to point out that this trend will reverse before THE END OF THE CENTURY (70odd years from now)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies