Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 10:27 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It wasn't just hindsight. People were predicting this before we even started our first strikes in Iraq in 2003! We'd already seen what happened to places like Yugoslavia after they lost their dictator - they devolved into sectarian violence also. Countries with warring sects need strong dictators to hold it all together, or just break up into their own countries.
You're right!! The Shah of Iran was no angel either as far as human rights but he was the devil we knew and kept a lid on that dustbin as well

Old 06-17-2014, 11:33 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
You're right!! The Shah of Iran was no angel either as far as human rights but he was the devil we knew and kept a lid on that dustbin as well
The Shah did not keep a lid on anything, Iran does not have sectarian issues. The Shah was installed by the US and UK because the US and UK wanted Iranian oil (the coup followed the nationalization of oil), with communism influence as a secondary reason, and by many sources, a smokescreen as its influence was greatly overstated. The democratically elected PM of Iran was overthrown by a US (operation Ajax) and UK led coup.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:02 PM

5,204 posts, read 4,665,923 times
The best thing for the US to do is to tell them, we understand you Sunnis and Shiites have been fighting over something silly for centuries so we won't get in your way. On top of that, we will try to do the best we can without depending on your oil. Also as far as Israel, if they can defend themselves, they can keep what they have. We won't help them. I imagine this would stop the terrorists from attacking us instead of each other.

However, we won't. We will pick a side, bomb the other side to oblivion until every one of them including all their future generations, hates us to death.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:16 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,942,523 times
ISIS went into Mosul and raided the banks. They immediately gained about 1/2 billion in hard US currency. When they go into Baghdad they'll have just that much more. The Taliban had access to a few millions, maybe even 20-50 million. ISIS has more than half a billion dollars right now and in US currency. Figure it out.

Just what do you think anyone can offer them in any form that will make them want to do anything but continue what they are doing now?

People need to wake up. ISIS has the desire and the financial means to do just about anything they want. They don't need money, they have it. They don't need weapons, they have that too. They don't need people, they have plenty.

Someone really needs to stir the koolaide better.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:08 PM

1,704 posts, read 748,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
There seems to be some type of 'new' surge of Islamic terrorism emerging...

I don't think that this world can continue much longer tolerating the likes of Isis and Boko Haram. IMO, the United Nations, along with all of the western nations, should provide whatever military force needed to destroy both Isis and Boko Haram.

Currently, If I was the President of Iraq, I'd urge all citizens to abandon their homes and escape to some designated protected area, located at least fifty miles away from any Isis occupied territory. I would then level the nucleus of their forces (with U.S. assistance of course) via intense carpet bombing. I would then send in my special forces inside the bombing zone to mop up the residue, after the bombing campaign has ended.

Afterwards, I would invoke a two or three month religious reunification indoctrination policy. All Sharia and Sunni Iraqis would be legally encouraged (forced) to work together in the rebuilding of bombed portions of their country. No more differential treatment of either group would be further tolerated by law.

Somehow, Muslims are going to have to find some kind of common denominator upon which to unite. Otherwise, this sectarian BS is bound to continue...

Boko Haram

Boko Haram needs to be infiltrated by loyal Nigerian patriots. After about six or eight months of intelligence gathering, a potent and strategic attack needs to be executed against the leadership of Boko Haram. Entire villages currently harboring Boko Haram terrorists need to be economically penalized. About 500 Boko Haram members need to be publicly executed by special western forces who are not directly associated with any particular African country.

It would be perfect, if a large number of Boko Haram members could be located and destroyed all at once.

What's particularly strange about all of this Islamic terrorism, is the fact that it seems to be coming from both sides. Boko Haram is rooted in Shia Law, while Isis is rooted in Sunni Law.

Sometimes, I think that religion has outlived its usefulness...

Was it ever really useful? ....
The overwhelming majority of Iranians are Shias. About 60% of Muslims in Iraq are Shias. However, the remainder of Muslim countries are mostly Sunnis. About 80% of all Muslims of the world are Sunnis. Most Muslims in Syria are Sunnis.

Last edited by zeliner; 06-17-2014 at 07:24 PM..

Old 06-17-2014, 07:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
I do hope many know that its estimated that there are thousands fighters with ISIS that came form Europe and US to a lesser extent. They are likely if not killed to return. The danger is more than just in the middle east. Terrorist are not just a middle east problem as we have seen.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:51 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,404 times
Texdav apropos your post ...

Iraq crisis: Isis planning to attack Britain, says Cameron - live - Telegraph

Old 06-18-2014, 08:45 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Actually I don't believe we DO need Middle East oil. We've actually been exporting oil so if we just keep it at home and import anything more from friendly nations we'd be fine with the one exception of needing to ramp up refining capacity.
What needs to be thought about is "why we don't do just that and instead keep sending money elsewhere".

We don't import as much of it as Europe does, however, as with any good cartel, a spike in oil prices for them has a ripple effect on our oil prices as well. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could be a fossil free nation and didn't need Israel as an ally for strategic purposes? Let the fanatics do whatever they want. Just like in Africa where we don't use the excuse of atrocities against mankind to invade a country that is of no interest to us financially. Money makes the world go around. In so many unfortunate ways as well.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
We should be using alternative fuel sources, and rid ourselves of these back ass religious governments. I'd rather see windmills everywhere and drive a small electric car than be held hostage to the middle east's oil.
We need to let someone else take this one on, we need to stay away from there and learn to feed ourselves.

I don't see this happening though I wish it would. I wish we would concentrate on guarding our own back door instead of policing the world. I wish we could think out side the box.

I shutter to think of the possibilities if Isis joins the Cartel and enters the U.S.A. through the back door. They are similar and I think it's just a matter of time until they make that deal.

We should take our bases out of the middle east and let them kill each other. Their reasons for hating us are military bases on holy ground so we should remove them.
Our only obligation is to protect our country from the mass murdering religious zealous want to be leaders of other countries. We owe the world nothing.

We need to beef up at home and be ready to protect ourselves. Let them kill each other off. It's none of our business. If China wants to be the new super power then let them handle the middle east. We can just watch and call them names for a change.
You're forgetting something, we export oil, more now than in years past. Oil isn't the problem. The problem is that oil is used as the manipulative tool to get people to think that they should accept anything to avoid using it.

Were the USA to become completely oil free, nothing would change much with relation to our entanglements in the middle east.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
SNIP. IMO, the United Nations, along with all of the western nations, should provide whatever military force needed to destroy both Isis and Boko Haram.SNIP
The United Nations? Yeah, such a great job they did in Korea. Such a fantastic job they did in Rwanda.

"...whatever military force needed..."

See how easy it is to get people to go along with almost anything to justify an end?

And when that United Nations force is on your doorstep, what then?

In the name of expediency we've created the problems in Iraq, Syria and most every other place we go into and then bug out from.

There is a reason why history really isn't taught in schools anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.