Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:18 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times

Advertisements

Get ready for more airport accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 10:38 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,835,592 times
Since my retirement as a captain on one of the largest commercial carriers .. there is an opening for anyone interested!
(No experience needed, just make sure that your skin pigmentation is of the accepted PC variety!)

Enjoy your flight

Old 07-31-2014, 11:50 AM

605 posts, read 1,259,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to the FAA statement within the link, the FAA recieved 28,000 applications for 1700 positions in a 2 week period. The ten year outlook for hiring is 17,000 to replace retiring air traffic controllers. Seems these schools are churning out substantially more grads than the FAA can absorb.

The FAA and approved schools make it clear CTI coursework does not guarantee employment with the FAA and that it relies in part, on an apptitude test of cognitive abilities. And so it would seem that it's possible to become certified despite a lack of apptitude or cognitive abilities. Same could be said for any certification/ degree program.

These schools could test for apptitude and cognitive abilities as a condition of acceptance and better align the number admitted with the projected vacancies.
If you have been following this since February like I have, and have seen the Air Traffic Controller Union Websites, here is what happened: 28,000 applications went in - only 1700 applicants PASSED THE BIO EXAM. Do you have a reason why an existing Air Force Air Traffic Controller with 15 years experience would fail this exam? Also, in the Videotaped congressional hearings, the head of the FAA stated, right there on TV - part of this exam was included to 'widen the apperture of candidates who were applying." Our biggest concern was that you have people 'already within the system waiting to be called up' and were waiting for 2+ years who are now told they are back to square one." My son could have used those 2+ years in applying for or continuing his Airport Management Degree for something else.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Sounds good in theory but I suspect the almighty dollar dictates that folks, regardless of opportunities on the other side, attend these schools.
my son has loans out like everyone else - what if a certain candidate just does not apply for a job like that? How many 5 foot tall candidates are there out there for professional basketball? How many 4' 10" 86 pound women are out there who would like to be lifting heavy boxes in shipping and receiving? My son also has a pilot's license (private pilot) but would love to get a jet pilot license but was told he cannot have lasik or wear glasses or contacts to hold down that job.....I guess I should complain to get that jet fighter pilot job 'appeture' widened also?

Old 07-31-2014, 12:24 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Since my retirement as a captain on one of the largest commercial carriers .. there is an opening for anyone interested!
(No experience needed, just make sure that your skin pigmentation is of the accepted PC variety!)

Enjoy your flight
The hiring practices are similar to that of hiring fire fighters. Must hire women, and if they're not able to knock a bedroom door down to save your child during a fire, well that's too bad, it's all about fairness, not necessarily qualifications.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to the FAA statement within the link, the FAA recieved 28,000 applications for 1700 positions in a 2 week period. The ten year outlook for hiring is 17,000 to replace retiring air traffic controllers. Seems these schools are churning out substantially more grads than the FAA can absorb.

The FAA and approved schools make it clear CTI coursework does not guarantee employment with the FAA and that it relies in part, on an apptitude test of cognitive abilities. And so it would seem that it's possible to become certified despite a lack of apptitude or cognitive abilities. Same could be said for any certification/ degree program.

These schools could test for apptitude and cognitive abilities as a condition of acceptance and better align the number admitted with the projected vacancies.
Here's an interesting reply from someone on another FAA city-data thread:

Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I'm not in the loop anymore, but from what I read and hear, that bio test is killing a lot of dreams.

Used to be a 4 year enlistment as a military controller, pass the civil service exam, and you were in.
Retired and and active-duty controllers have taken the biographical assessment for fun and failed. That shows you the validity of such an assessment. In addition, the methodology for the assessment hasn't been released, so nobody knows what the FAA was looking for to begin with.

missynancy

296 posts, read 206,898 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Retired and and active-duty controllers have taken the biographical assessment for fun and failed. That shows you the validity of such an assessment. In addition, the methodology for the assessment hasn't been released, so nobody knows what the FAA was looking for to begin with.

bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-31-2014, 12:45 PM

2,963 posts, read 3,532,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
One of my friends is severely upset about these recent developments as well. He completed a degree from one of the formerly approved ATC programs, has a couple pilot certs, and then they opened it up to everyone and their dog, and he too was passed up. Makes no damn sense at all.
Nothing about this administration makes any sense.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Nothing about this administration makes any sense.
BINGO!!!

Old 08-02-2014, 03:20 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,835,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
My son also has a pilot's license (private pilot) but would love to get a jet pilot license but was told he cannot have lasik or wear glasses or contacts to hold down that job.....I guess I should complain to get that jet fighter pilot job 'appeture' widened also?
Not sure of the rules of military qualifications but I have friends who flew militarily and some wore glasses!

I don't know where your son received that information but it's wrong!

I have worn corrective lenses all my life (until recently) and the rules are .. as long as corrective eyesight is within certain parameters (20/40, 20/50 etc.) you are qualified to fly commercial carriers .. with all the other qualifications met of course.

I was with Delta for over twenty years!

Old 08-02-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Not sure of the rules of military qualifications but I have friends who flew militarily and some wore glasses!

I don't know where your son received that information but it's wrong!

I have worn corrective lenses all my life (until recently) and the rules are .. as long as corrective eyesight is within certain parameters (20/40, 20/50 etc.) you are qualified to fly commercial carriers .. with all the other qualifications met of course.

I was with Delta for over twenty years!
mr close. ..I said he wanted to fly "jets" such as an f16
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies