Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:16 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,986,643 times

Advertisements

JIHADISTS have overrun Iraq's second city of Mosul and a string of Sunni Arab northern towns in a spectacular blow against the Shiite-led government that Washington warned threatens the entire region.

Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki asked parliament to declare a state of emergency and announced the government would arm citizens to fight the jihadists and their allies.

“All of Nineveh province fell into the hands of militants,” parliament speaker Osama al-Nujaifi told journalists in Baghdad, adding the gunmen were heading south towards neighbouring Salaheddin province.Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

So is history repeating itself with the implications of the US withdraw, as demonstrated in Vietnam in the 1970s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 09:23 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,745,694 times
I wonder how history will treat this president?

Old 06-10-2014, 10:01 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
I'm glad US troops are out and not stuck in the middle of this.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:01 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times
I don't think we're allowed to say "jihadists." That's racist, or something.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:13 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
I think Obama should not increase troop levels and stay out of it. I know others will say how about all the treasure and lives that will be wasted? My answer is we should have never went in the first place and should not waste more money and lives because democracy is not going to fix Iraq. Plus ,do we really want to go to Iraq and baby sit that country for years on end.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:13 PM

1,438 posts, read 779,837 times
Saddam was a secular Arab nationalist who opposed Islamic fundamentalism...........

Old 06-10-2014, 10:15 PM

Quick notes - Saddam was part of the Sunni minority that ruled Iraq and oppressed the Shiite. The current government is Shiite. Iran is mainly Shiite and Saudi Arabia is mainly Sunni. Sunnis are mainly located in the north and west of Iraq which is where the 'jihad' is happening. Al-Quada is a faction among the 'jihadists'. Many Sunnis want a separate country - with the Mosul oil fields included.
I'm glad we are out of that mess.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 PM

It was Al Qaeda that is now the main resistance group in Iraq. They have now seized several cities black flag of al-Qaeda once more flying over the western Iraqi cities of Fallujah and Ramadi. . The Al-Qaeda now poses more of a threat to Iraq than it does to Syria – Telegraph Blogs

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) effectively governs a nation-size tract of territory that stretches from the eastern edge of the Syrian city of Aleppo to Fallujah in western Iraq – and now also includes the northern Iraqi city of Mosul.

ISIS: The al-Qaeda-linked Islamists powerful enough to capture a key Iraqi city - The Washington Post

In addition the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria control some vital oil resources as well and with that as well as donations from some wealthy Middle Eastern people so they seem to be well financed. A resurgent Al Qaeda will certainly upset the balance of power in the Middle East.

As far as America is concerned I do not think they should bring troops or military action against them for now of yet aid the moderate groups that are fighting against them.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:45 PM

Smuggled video and accounts given to Amnesty International have provided a rare snapshot of the workings of radical group 'The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria' or ISIS

WOMAN SUBJECT TO ISIS RULE (translation): After the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria occupied Raqqah, they imposed many things on us, one of which is the niqab. Many women have received lashes, and have even been executed for not wearing the niqab. These things have been forced on us through the power of the sword. People are now either to wear the veil or be executed.Life under ISIS: the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

So I guess they are like the Taliban. Well it seems that like under Saddam and Assad were better as at least they were secular leaders.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:06 AM

An enlightening article - with historical context back to WW1.:

The Fall of Mosul and the False Promises of Modern History | Informed Comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies