Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 02:41 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,752,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
For sure. It's obvious. If Martin had done to Zimmerman what Zimmerman did to Martin, he never would have been let out of custody, and he'd be doing time for murder right now.
We do not agree there. Martin's parents were reasonably competent and would have inevitably gotten good counsel and Martin was a sure thing under FL law. I would not have been surprised if they managed to hold him for a while or until trial but he had a better self defense defense than Zimmerman...and by a good bit.

So no he does not get convicted.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:47 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,622,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Well, we know that he tried to evade Zimmerman, and we don't really have sundown towns anymore, so it's hard to see what Martin was supposed to do.

(And no, not the fiction where he stepped out of a magic portal and bashed Zimmerman's head into the concrete with his hands and simultaneously punching Zimmerman with weapons in his hands)
Sundown Towns still may exist in that there are many towns and regions across America in which there is hardly a black family to be found.

You can check for Sundown Towns in your state at this website:

Sundown Towns by James W. Loewen

A good indicator of a former Sundown Town is if the current population is something like 96 % or 98 % white. I looked up many former Sundown towns, and they still have skewed demographics that indicate a town that is racist and unwelcoming to blacks.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:49 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,632,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One question I have to ask is this. And I never thought about this until now. It has been mentioned that there was a fight. Did Zimmerman shoot DURING the fight, or AFTER the fight concluded?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
After, while Martin pleaded for his life.
Quote:
If that is the truth, then I would have to say I don't support the verdict. I might be a little more inclined to not feel as such if Zimmerman shot Martin DURING the fight, and depending on who started the fight.
lol. I think I see the problem.

Someone asks a question on a message board, another person posts a nonsensical and untrue answer, and the person who asked the question believes it and runs with it.

This is exactly why previous Zimmerman threads were so hilarious and completely out of touch with reality.

But do carry on................

Old 06-13-2014, 02:56 PM

32,004 posts, read 36,637,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Trayvon very much did commit a crime by physically assaulting another person.
Wasn't Zimmerman following him around in the dark with a pistol?

Under those circumstances what's the reasonable man supposed to do? Fall down and plead for mercy from the gunman? Take off running and pray the idiot doesn't shoot you from behind? How does you know the gunman isn't trying to rob you, or worse?

If some knucklehead with a gun was following me around in the dark outside my home and I had a reasonable chance of turning the tables, I might very well take the fool down. How could defending myself be a crime?

Old 06-13-2014, 03:00 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,829,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
wasn't zimmerman following him around in the dark with a pistol?

Under those circumstances what's the reasonable man supposed to do? Fall down and plead for mercy from the gunman? Take off running and pray the idiot doesn't shoot you from behind? How does you know the gunman isn't trying to rob you, or worse?

If some knucklehead with a gun was following me around in the dark outside my home and i had a reasonable chance of turning the tables, i might very well take the fool down. How could defending myself be a crime?

what ya sure as heck don't do is after you have escaped turn around and come back.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:05 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,570,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Even if Zimmerman weren't a racist, it certainly became about race when the right, his defense team, and to a major extent the police chief, began baselessly tossing around racial stereotypes
Exactly. I don't believe Zimmerman hates black people in a all-encompassing, white supremacist way.....I do believe he sees young black men as a threat and felt he had to "protect" his neighborhood against their menace. He was/is a stupid, immature vigilante who should have never been allowed to carry a gun or be a neighborhood watch volunteer.

I do think the white supremacists (including many here on this forum) adopted him as a cause celebre and had a collective orgasm when he got away with murder.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
We do not agree there. Martin's parents were reasonably competent and would have inevitably gotten good counsel and Martin was a sure thing under FL law. I would not have been surprised if they managed to hold him for a while or until trial but he had a better self defense defense than Zimmerman...and by a good bit.

So no he does not get convicted.
Well, the jury in the Zimmerman case was full of people who were biased against Zimmerman. They made lots of unstated and stated assumptions in the deliberations. I highly doubt that Martin would have gotten the benefit of the doubt like Zimmerman did.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:21 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,300,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Wasn't Zimmerman following him around in the dark with a pistol?

Under those circumstances what's the reasonable man supposed to do? Fall down and plead for mercy from the gunman? Take off running and pray the idiot doesn't shoot you from behind? How do you know the gunman isn't trying to rob you, or worse?

If some knucklehead with a gun was following me around in the dark outside my home and I had a reasonable chance of turning the tables, I might very well take the fool down. How could defending myself be a crime?
It seems a LOT of these people NEVER go for a walk much less at NIGHT, that's when the Boogie Man comes out ... As I have said, if I was packing Zimmerman would have been dropped the second he got out of his car and came after me.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:21 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,478,718 times
Quote:

ME: So what if it isn't illegal to follow someone? Why did Zimmerman follow Martin, after he was told not to? And would he have followed Martin if he had been a White kid?

I had to wonder, with this verdict, could someone kill me and say they felt threatened by me.
GZ stopped following tm when he was advised to stop by dispatch. [I was not there.]

Given the increased crime in his neighborhood, I think he'd have tried to see where a White kid was going. [I'm not a mind reader.]

Yes, anyone who kills you, me, or anyone else, can claim they acted in self-defense.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
GZ stopped following tm when he was advised to stop by dispatch. [I was not there.]

Given the increased crime in his neighborhood, I think he'd have tried to see where a White kid was going. [I'm not a mind reader.]

Yes, anyone who kills you, me, or anyone else, can claim they acted in self-defense.
Bull. He never stopped following Martin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies