Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 05:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
What a waste of US blood and treasure if this goes down like it appears too be going down. No one wants to hear it, but we need to stop this with air strikes, and if need be we need to go in there with ground troops. We cannot let Iraq become the worlds largest terrorist base, and we cannot let an Islamic Caliphate be established there either. Our national prestige is on the line, if we do nothing no one anywhere will take us seriously again. This must not happen.
We were there for 10 years with air strikes and boots on the ground, what was accomplished? and you recommend returning for more of the same? Iraq will become whatever its destiny dictates i dont see anything America can do to change that outcome.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:43 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Last night I heard Jordan had requested for US troops to be based there. Can anyone confirm or deny? I tell you it is just going to get crazier and crazier. But hey the unprincipled pacifism of Obama and the liberals will prevent that. We can't use American force no matter what monster is created by its lack now.

Also am I the only person who finds people who talk about "treasure" in these things to be pretentious? I mean it'd be one thing if there was actually some vault with pirates guarding a bunch of chests overflowing with doubloons, pearls, and golden crucifixes, but there isn't.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:49 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Every time I see Obama's face I can hear the Beatles song "The Fool on the Hill".

The Beatles - The Fool On The Hill - YouTube

Old 06-13-2014, 05:53 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Here is what Dick Cheney had to say about invading Iraq ,in 1994,before he changed his mind and decided that invading Iraq would be a cake walk and that we would be welcomed as liberators.

Cheney '94: Invading Baghdad Would Create Quagmire - YouTube

Old 06-13-2014, 06:07 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
And here he is after he changed his mind: LiveLeak.com - They will welcome us as liberators. (comments)

Old 06-13-2014, 07:07 AM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Last night I heard Jordan had requested for US troops to be based there. Can anyone confirm or deny? I tell you it is just going to get crazier and crazier. But hey the unprincipled pacifism of Obama and the liberals will prevent that. We can't use American force no matter what monster is created by its lack now.

Also am I the only person who finds people who talk about "treasure" in these things to be pretentious? I mean it'd be one thing if there was actually some vault with pirates guarding a bunch of chests overflowing with doubloons, pearls, and golden crucifixes, but there isn't.
If people in uniform or who had been in uniform were saying "send in the troops," it would carry more weight with me.

But I'm pretty tired of chickenhawks who want others to bleed for the sake of their national pride.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:21 AM

141 posts, read 116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If people in uniform or who had been in uniform were saying "send in the troops," it would carry more weight with me.

But I'm pretty tired of chickenhawks who want others to bleed for the sake of their national pride.
Lots of the soldiers want to go back. They enjoy fighting. This is not a draft military. Watch the interviews with the soldiers. They love the "rush" of a gun fights. Sounds crazy and really bad, but I'm just repeating what they said. They want to get "in the ****". Nothing more fun than a gunfight. Their own words! Watch videos of them in attack Apache helicopters ENJOYING killing. It's "like a video game". Please search some of these videos. I don't think many of them joined solely to serve their country, but because they enjoy the military experience. Just like few people become police officers to serve their community. If a cop told me that, I'd say right....so why did you REALLY become a cop?

How can heroes want/enjoy war and enjoy killing other humans?

And I'm the first to say without the sacrifice of some soldiers, we would all be speaking German. But I'm just looking at it honestly. This is not an attack on U.S. troops specifically, but any standing army of the human race. And I'm not delusional. I know how bad the enemy is. They're obviously way worse.

Does no one else see this? The thing is you can't say ANYTHING bad about the soldiers or the media will tear your head off. These soldiers(applies to any army, not just U.S.) seem to enjoy killing and the wolf pack brotherhood of war. War junkies.

And I know I'm going to get my head ripped off for this post. I'm not trying to be insulting to vets, but I'm just asking an honest question based on interview I've seen with these soldiers and documentaries. How do you enjoy a gun fight? Insane

Last edited by lizardtastic; 06-13-2014 at 07:41 AM..

Old 06-13-2014, 07:37 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You realize of course is that you're blaming it on a failure of diplomacy by the Obama administration.
Failure of diplomacy? Sure, guess you could call it that. Likewise, you trying to negotiate for me to give you my car, and I do not give, could be called a failure of diplomacy on your part as well.

Point is; failure yes, but it was something that would have never been accomplished no matter who was sitting as president. Iraq did not want the US there, there was absolutely no way anyone was going to convince otherwise. The only way to stay there would be to turn into an occupation force, but that would have put us at odds, and possibly war with Iraq.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:39 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You realize, of course, that we have a treaty obligation to Turkey through NATO.
That is only if Turkey is attacked, and article 5 also just gives internationally recognized authority for NATO countries to use force, it does not mandate it.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:40 AM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardtastic View Post
Lots of the soldiers want to go back. They enjoy fighting. This is not a draft military. Watch the interviews with the soldiers. They love the "rush" of a gun fights. Sounds crazy, evil, and psychopathic, but I'm just repeating what they said. They want to get "in the ****". Nothing more fun than a gunfight. Their own words!
Watch videos of them in attack Apache helicopters ENJOYING killing. It's "like a video game". Please search some of these videos. I'm not sure how people see them as "heroes". More like a necessary evil. I don't think most join to serve their country, but because they enjoy the military experience. Just like few people become police officers to serve their community. If a cop told me that, I'd say right....so why did you REALLY become a cop?
A lot of young men do get involved in what they're involved in. That's kind of a quality of the testosterone rush of being a young man.

But by the same token, don't overlook even those men when they come back and say, "That war is a crock, we shouldn't be over there."

For sure, the decision to go to war is a political decision, not a military decision. Rumsfeld said that himself when the generals resisted invading Iraq (yes, the generals said, "Invading Iraq would be a crock"), but when people who are normally not adverse to combat say "That war is a crock," and if their elder warriors who are past the rush of youthful testosterone say "That war is a crock," then the chickenhawks back home need to start paying attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies