Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 03:37 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
What do you think I said warms the atmosphere?

GLOBAL ocean heat content....I stress GLOBAL. (Zero to 2000 meters deep)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 03:41 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The atmosphere has warmed very little, but the oceans continue to warm and rise.
Just like the temps, seas are not rising. Like temps, seas are in a "pause".

Whatever language you cloak it in, nothing has happened for over 17 years.

Scientists Have a New Explanation for Slowing Sea Level Rise - The American Interest

Old 06-14-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
GO BACK AND READ, YOU LITERALLY JUST CLAIMED IT WARMS THE ATMOSPHERE.

Uh, read one book on climatology or better yet, get an advance degree in it. You are so off-base it is funny, some climate alarmist say the atmosphere has plateaued specifically because of a cooling in the pacific ocean, to try to explain away the lack of atmospheric warming. (Their science is flawed.)

If the whole ocean system is warming, except for a cold spot that makes up 8 percent of the pacific ocean, the larger area (around 99%) of ocean water is actually warming, then that warming has NO DISCERNIBLE EFFECT on atmospheric temperature... but then you guys claim that 8% of the pacific ocean has enough influence to halt atmospheric warming.

Right now, the Earth is in an elevated warm period during this extended warm period (which started in the mid-1800′s as the Little Ice Age came to an end) which is still cooler than during the previous warm periods (Medieval and Roman warm periods), with a flatlined temperature gradient.

It is like you have never even heard of the scientific process, correlation is a LONG way from causation.
Stand by for a whole series of graphs to obfuscate his faux pas.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:

You said CO2. Now you are back tracking.

Make up your mind.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Just like the temps, seas are not rising. Like temps, seas are in a "pause".

Whatever language you cloak it in, nothing has happened for over 17 years.

Scientists Have a New Explanation for Slowing Sea Level Rise - The American Interest
Some facts are well established. Researchers can say that global ocean levels have risen about 19 centimeters in the last century. And the rate of rise has sped up. The 20th-century average is about 1.7 millimeters per year; since 1993 the average rate has nearly doubled — to about 3.2 millimeters per year.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:55 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times
Quote:

Ugh, you can't even read the stuff you type, sad. Let me get that for you:

Quote:
CO2 doesn't, by itself, warm the atmosphere.
Quote:
Really?
You DIRECTLY claimed that C02 alone causes atmospheric warming.

Regardless, you say global ocean content raises the atmospheric temperature... and you say it is rising... but the atmospheric temperature has been flat for 15 years.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Some facts are well established. Researchers can say that global ocean levels have risen about 19 centimeters in the last century. And the rate of rise has sped up. The 20th-century average is about 1.7 millimeters per year; since 1993 the average rate has nearly doubled — to about 3.2 millimeters per year.

No, they are not well established.

His verifiable evidence shows this to be untrue.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
You said CO2. Now you are back tracking.

Make up your mind.
I'm not back tracking....You are not understanding....I have never said that CO2 warms anything....The sun warms the earth, but CO2 in the atmosphere prevents some of the suns heat from reflecting back into space and instead reflects back to earth, moderating the global temperature, but too much CO2 means the temperature rises because more is reflected back to earth...This is basic science that has been known for over a hundred years.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I'm not back tracking....You are not understanding....I have never said that CO2 warms anything....The sun warms the earth, but CO2 in the atmosphere prevents some of the suns heat from reflecting back into space and instead reflects back to earth, moderating the global temperature, but too much CO2 means the temperature rises because more is reflected back to earth...This is basic science that has been known for over a hundred years.
Quote:
CO2 doesn't, by itself, warm the atmosphere.
Quote:
Really?
Quote:
Since 1997 C02 levels have increased by about 20PPM, the climate has not warmed in that time period.
Quote:
The atmosphere has warmed very little, but the oceans continue to warm and rise.
Heck, you even claim that C02 alone raises the ocean temps. You might not understand English enough to understand what you imply in these sentences, doesn't mean it aint there. Context has meaning.

Back-peddle faster bro.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Ugh, you can't even read the stuff you type, sad. Let me get that for you:

You DIRECTLY claimed that C02 alone causes atmospheric warming.

Regardless, you say global ocean content raises the atmospheric temperature... and you say it is rising... but the atmospheric temperature has been flat for 15 years.
It is your reading comprehension that I think is the problem...I have never say that CO2 alone causes AGW, nor did I say that the ocean is heating the atmosphere.....Were did you come up with that?

The earth continues to warm, and the oceans continue to rise...Your disbelief has no effect on those facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies