Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 07:27 AM

56,901 posts, read 25,829,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I don't think anyone will be robbing that bank any time soon.
It will be interesting to see how effective this is since they have never been robbed.
LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 07:27 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,730,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Quote:
But...gun free zones keep us safe!
There is a sign for God sakes! Is nothing sacred?!
Surely you jest.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:24 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,316,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It will be interesting to see how effective this is since they have never been robbed.
LOL
Has your house ever burned down? Do you have fire extinguishers and smoke alarms?

Old 06-13-2014, 03:06 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,902,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Does anyone rob banks any more, as security has improved dramatically with bullet proof security glass, rapid acting security shutters, automatic door locks, cameras and dye triggers. Since 1992 Bank Robberies have declined 90% in the UK.

Bank robberies fall 90pc as new security outsmarts thieves - Telegraph

In the US they still rob banks. Not sure of the success rates. Don't think security is the issue either.
FBI Bank Robbery Statistics - Business Insider
quote:
5,093 bank crimes were reported in 2011.

Bank robberies double in 2012

Number of robberies in the U.S. 2012, by weapon | Statistic

http://www.statista.com/statistics/2...e-us-by-state/

Last edited by CDusr; 06-13-2014 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: link

Old 06-13-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Has your house ever burned down? Do you have fire extinguishers and smoke alarms?
I don't have to worry about a smoke alarm killing someone.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:58 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,888,405 times
Quote:
You can't compare armored car guards to bank tellers and yes some banks actually very few banks have professional guards but that is their sole function. An armored car driver enters and leaves the bank in a few minutes and having a gun is a necessity, tellers spend a full shift inside the bank.

I cannot recall even seeing an armed guard at a bank in the last few decades, I am sure the reasons I listed previously are the reason.
I can compare them. In IL, you are required to take a minimum of 8 hours of class and qualify on a range - https://illinoisccwclasses.com/conce...y/ccw-classes/
Armed security classes are 20 hours and will also qualify you to concealed carry - https://illinoisccwclasses.com/conce...y/ccw-classes/

Quote:
If one of those tellers gets injured or accidentally shoots someone else they will be responsible, no company with any degree of assets wants to arm their employees. These are small mom and pop banks but still not to smart.

I would love to know the name of their insurance company, State Farm, Hancock?

Allowing to have tellers carry a gun around for a few decades for a robbery that might come and where they might make a difference makes no practical sense, quite a lot of downside.
Please explain how this accident might happen OUTSIDE of an actual robbery? I have carried every day for 5 years straight without issue. I know guys that have carried much longer with no negligent discharge. Guns don't just fire on their own. In a proper holster, the trigger is safe from being touched.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:05 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,370,054 times
Quote:
Allowing to have tellers carry a gun around for a few decades for a robbery that might come and where they might make a difference makes no practical sense, quite a lot of downside.
What !?

Banks are known for getting robbed. If someone threatens your life at gunpoint, doesn't it make sense to have some kind of weapon so you can fight back ? Or does it make more sense to remain defenseless ?

Old 06-13-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I can compare them. In IL, you are required to take a minimum of 8 hours of class and qualify on a range - https://illinoisccwclasses.com/conce...y/ccw-classes/
Armed security classes are 20 hours and will also qualify you to concealed carry - https://illinoisccwclasses.com/conce...y/ccw-classes/

Please explain how this accident might happen OUTSIDE of an actual robbery? I have carried every day for 5 years straight without issue. I know guys that have carried much longer with no negligent discharge. Guns don't just fire on their own. In a proper holster, the trigger is safe from being touched.
These are tellers being armed, that is not their function. You don't think a teller can make an error carrying a gun everyday when that is not their primary job.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:20 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,368,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
What !?

Banks are known for getting robbed. If someone threatens your life at gunpoint, doesn't it make sense to have some kind of weapon so you can fight back ? Or does it make more sense to remain defenseless ?
Let's see..if I am a teller with a family making $12.00 to $14.00 dollars an hour and someone points a gun at me, I can either go for a gun to defend the bank's money and potentially get killed with a bullet between my eyes or I can give the robber the money and live another day...That's a tough choice...I think I prefer to live and let law enforcement handle the robber later.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Let's see..if I am a teller with a family making $12.00 to $14.00 dollars an hour and someone points a gun at me, I can either go for a gun to defend the bank's money and potentially get killed with a bullet between my eyes or I can give the robber the money and live another day...That's a tough choice...I think I prefer to live and let law enforcement handle the robber later.
Good point, when you think about it I would be more concerned about a 7-11 being robbed and I don't think they need to wait a decade between robberies. A minimum wage employee being asked to pull a gun, I think they need to give them a raise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies