Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 01:43 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,590,047 times

Advertisements

There is no way in Hell that I would ever work behind a counter, bank or 7/11 store, without being armed. I could care less about the owner's money but I will not trust a robbers discretion to keep me safe. I am not that foolish.

Before WW2 most bank tellers had a pistol next to the window of their workplace. It was designed to discourage would be thieves. Except for heavily armed gangs it probably worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 02:02 PM

7,432 posts, read 5,695,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Does anyone rob banks any more, as security has improved dramatically with bullet proof security glass, rapid acting security shutters, automatic door locks, cameras and dye triggers. Since 1992 Bank Robberies have declined 90% in the UK.

Bank robberies fall 90pc as new security outsmarts thieves - Telegraph

Everyday trust me, I work in the industry and it happens everyday.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:28 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,581,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I actually do agree with you on this one. I never understood why someone like a cashier at a gas station would fight back if being robbed. It's just money, give it to them! If you get fired, so what? A job isn't worth your life.

I guess if you were the actual owner then I could understand. Other than that, if I'm working in a store, feel free to take whatever. I'm not putting myself in harms way over a few bucks that aren't even mine to begin with.
Plenty of cashiers have been murdered after handing over the money.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:28 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Now were talking about sensible gun measures.
I would favor arming all bank employees, especially loan officers. It would also be a good idea to arm the employees at fast food restaurants (especially the ones manning the drive-thru windows), doctors and other personnel in medical offices, movie ticket sales windows, and all convenience store employees. Those folks are sitting ducks for thieves or hotheads who don't like getting bad news or being told to wait.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:02 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,851,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I would favor arming all bank employees, especially loan officers. It would also be a good idea to arm the employees at fast food restaurants (especially the ones manning the drive-thru windows), doctors and other personnel in medical offices, movie ticket sales windows, and all convenience store employees. Those folks are sitting ducks for thieves or hotheads who don't like getting bad news or being told to wait.
Hmmmm..... You're singing a different toon than you normally do on this issue aren't you? I mean, if you really want me to, I can go back and find all the posts where you have vehemently asserted that nobody has any need to carry a gun on them. That is what you have said in the past, is it not? Why the change of heart? Or are you just really bad at sarcasm?

I'm really having a hard time figuring out what your position is, because it seems as though it changes with every post.

I can give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you have possibly had a change of heart, because I've changed my own mind about certain issues after getting other peoples perspectives on them myself. Again, why did you change your mind? Or did you?

Old 06-14-2014, 07:53 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,219,253 times
Armed tellers aren't there to make you "feel safe"! That's your responsibility! They aren't armed to protect the bank's money! They are armed to give themselves another option should they need to defend themselves. People should be able to prepare to defend themselves! If you don't want to arm yourself, fine, but you and your feelings should have nothing to do with someone else's right to self defense. Some of the arguments against armed tellers that have been posted here are so damn laughable. Are some of you so scared to even go out of the house? Carrying a firearm for self defense is really no different than carrying a jack in case of a flat tire, a fire extinguisher in case of fire, a first aid kit in case of emergency, etc. As has been stated, firearms don't fire themselves. Ever! And if you think cops are the answer, that's even more ignorant! Cops are rarely at the scene of a crime until long after the crooks are gone! They are among the worst when it comes to being competent and accurate enough with a firearm so as not to shoot innocent people. I think some of you just enjoy being ignorant as hell when it comes to discussing the rights of Americans to defend themselves with firearms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Anyone can be armed with a gun but it doesn't mean they know how to use it responsibly. Have these tellers been trained. The article doesn't say. And everyone's head should explode if these tellers have never shot a gun before. That would not make me feel safe.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:34 PM

39,808 posts, read 26,335,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
To compare keeping a fire extinquisher under your sink to arming a teller at a bank is about as ludicrous an analogy as I have ever read. An extinquisher puts out fires, arming a teller is like pouring gasoline on the fire. To even insinuate that a teller should risk her life for bank's money that is already covered by insurance is as vacuous an idea as I have ever heard. To further think that some idiot would actually recommend that a teller pull out a gun and start shooting in a crowded bank at a would-be thief just boggles the mind.
I realize this is a concept you may have trouble grasping...but allowing tellers to be armed is for THEIR OWN SAFETY, not to guard the bank's money. The business actually believes that their employees should not depend on the mercy of a criminal for their life. That they should have a chance to survive a robbery, rather than be helpless while a criminal murders them. Now...just why would YOU insist on ensuring that these employees had no means of protecting themselves? Why would you ensure that the only person in the bank with a firearm is the CRIMINAL? Do you take some sick pleasure in knowing that people are helpless in the face of violence?

Old 06-14-2014, 09:08 PM

31,889 posts, read 14,877,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Armed tellers aren't there to make you "feel safe"! That's your responsibility! They aren't armed to protect the bank's money! They are armed to give themselves another option should they need to defend themselves. People should be able to prepare to defend themselves! If you don't want to arm yourself, fine, but you and your feelings should have nothing to do with someone else's right to self defense. Some of the arguments against armed tellers that have been posted here are so damn laughable. Are some of you so scared to even go out of the house? Carrying a firearm for self defense is really no different than carrying a jack in case of a flat tire, a fire extinguisher in case of fire, a first aid kit in case of emergency, etc. As has been stated, firearms don't fire themselves. Ever! And if you think cops are the answer, that's even more ignorant! Cops are rarely at the scene of a crime until long after the crooks are gone! They are among the worst when it comes to being competent and accurate enough with a firearm so as not to shoot innocent people. I think some of you just enjoy being ignorant as hell when it comes to discussing the rights of Americans to defend themselves with firearms.

I am not ignorant. I know the 2nd amendment. The problem is that many own firearms and don't really know how to use them. Have you ever thought that you could defend yourself without a gun.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:00 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,851,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]
I am not ignorant. I know the 2nd amendment. The problem is that many own firearms and don't really know how to use them
I'll go along with that. I think this business of "constitutional carry" where you don't have to get any training is a bad idea, which I realise isn't going to gain me any points with some of my fellow pro-second supporters. The tellers should have at least some basic knowledge and training if they're going to be carrying guns and dealing with the public all day. I would imagine they do.

Quote:
Have you ever thought that you could defend yourself without a gun.
Sure, a gun is a last resort, but when you are defending yourself against someone who is shooting at you with a gun, or is twice your size, and you don't have a gun to shoot back? You're either lucky, or dead.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:05 PM

31,889 posts, read 14,877,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I'll go along with that. I think this business of "constitutional carry" where you don't have to get any training is a bad idea, which I realise isn't going to gain me any points with some of my fellow pro-second supporters. The tellers should have at least some basic knowledge and training if they're going to be carrying guns and dealing with the public all day. I would imagine they do.

Sure, a gun is a last resort, but when you are defending yourself against someone who is shooting at you with a gun, or is twice your size, and you don't have a gun to shoot back? You're either lucky, or dead.

So how many times have you had to defend yourself with a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies