Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 01:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

The recent Iraq ISIS insurgents has made me wonder one thing about the liberal platform. Liberals want to see more nations have similar civil rights to America such as the issues with Muslim militants trying to kill if not capture Muslim girls who are actually getting an education. But yet, many liberals oppose going to war to bring about these rights as we've seen with Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria. My question is why is this the case. To me it sounds somewhat hypocritical. Maybe someone can explain that to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 02:05 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The recent Iraq ISIS insurgents has made me wonder one thing about the liberal platform. Liberals want to see more nations have similar civil rights to America such as the issues with Muslim militants trying to kill if not capture Muslim girls who are actually getting an education. But yet, many liberals oppose going to war to bring about these rights as we've seen with Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria. My question is why is this the case. To me it sounds somewhat hypocritical. Maybe someone can explain that to me.
Maybe because invading other countries, especially Middle Eastern countries, to "give them civil rights" doesn't work as can be seen from our experience in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.

The idea that bombing a country will make it a western style democracy especially when said countries have had no institutional and ideological experience with the west is crazy.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:09 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
The idea that bombing a country will make it a western style democracy especially when said countries have had no institutional and ideological experience with the west is crazy.
And yet that is the neocon platform that led to Iraq. The OP is dishonestly labeling that concept as exclusively a liberal idea and attempt to attack liberals, whereas it has actually been a tenant of US foreign policy for a century.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:14 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Maybe because invading other countries, especially Middle Eastern countries, to "give them civil rights" doesn't work as can be seen from our experience in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.

Yeah... maybe because "liberals" realize that you can't deliver positive changes at the end of a gun, and that cultures have to evolve on their own, though they can be guided to the right path with some effort.

The original question makes about as much sense as, "Well, most normal people are opposed to crime, so why aren't they willing to send in the army to take control of high crime areas in the nation and kill anyone who opposes?" Same loony thought process, and just more clear bashing of "liberals."

But, to turn this around, why do "conservatives" think that you can change a nation to like you and your ways by bombing them, drone-striking them, etc? Has that worked once since WW2?

Old 06-13-2014, 02:15 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
My first question was 'don't Conservatives want to see people around the world enjoy civil rights, or is it just Liberals'?

I believe that the US cannot be all over the planet fighting wars for other people, and we shouldn't be starting them, either. We can try to resolve issues and influence warring countries in other ways (humanitarian aid, monetary constraints, etc.).

Many of the conflicts in other countries are basically civil wars. They are best left to fight it out among the different factions. (although I do appreciate France's help during our Revolutionary War!).

In my opinion, getting technology (computers, internet, phones) into the hands of some of these, sorry to say, but backward countries is what's going to make the difference. It will be a slow process, but that is their best hope, IMO.

That, and education.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
And yet that is the neocon platform that led to Iraq. The OP is dishonestly labeling that concept as exclusively a liberal idea and attempt to attack liberals, whereas it has actually been a tenant of US foreign policy for a century.
Its like these people on the right forget crap like the Project for a New American century and other rightwing groups that pushed an agenda in support of the US engaging in modern day imperialism, complete with permanent bases in Iraq, military run foreign civil administration, and protectionism for US corporations in developing and exploiting resources in US administered countries.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
But, to turn this around, why do "conservatives" think that you can change a nation to like you and your ways by bombing them, drone-striking them, etc? Has that worked once since WW2?
Not to mention that in World War 2 we didn't invade Japan and Germany to give them civil rights, we invaded them because they bombed and declared war on us respectively. Once more both Japan and Germany were nation states on a western model with western style systems of government where everyone generally respects the legitimacy of a central authority. In places like Iraq and Afghanistan it is a bunch of tribal groups and regional and religious factions where no one gives a crap about the central government, will do their own thing regardless, and have been fighting for generations with outsiders and each other.

To think we can just drop a few bombs and all of a sudden people will draw up a western style constitution, accept a central government, and shoot off fireworks on the 4th is naive in the extreme.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Many countries are denying civil rights....from China to Russia to North Korea.
Perhaps you think that the US should declare war on the entire planet.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:49 PM

Perhaps I can clear things up a little.
Traditionally liberals are the ones who say we need to see more countries have civil rights for all and claim it is a crisis when girls are abducted or killed just for getting an education while conservatives do not do it as often. Am I correct on this assertion?
Liberals complain about vast civil rights violations and ethnic cleansing like what happened in the former Yugoslavia and also Iraq. Am I also correct on this assertion?
Liberals fought against war in Iraq in regards to the "WMDs" as well as the biological weapons that Saddam used on his own people. Am I also correct on this assertion?

I am leaving conservatives out in this case because conservatives typically don't have the civil rights for all nations views liberals do.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Many countries are denying civil rights....from China to Russia to North Korea.
Perhaps you think that the US should declare war on the entire planet.
Not all of those cases are the same. Only Russia and North Korea have been taking military action of late. China's issues are a lot different and their civil rights issues are not as out in the open as Russia and (North) Korea are. Russia has invaded a few countries of late and (North) Korea nearly had issues with South Korea during the nuclear crisis about a year ago. This reads as two different issues if you ask me. China is a much smaller problem than Russia and to an extent (North) Korea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies