Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 07:52 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't understand how people can stand by and defend this.

What if this were Countryside and Mozilla doing this regarding their mortgages ?
What if this were GM and Mary Barra doing this over the ignition mess ?

You betcha that it would not be so casually dismissed as "Oh well..sh*t happens".
Countrywide was casually dismissed but I understand the point.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
No we don't agree. Corporations are now giving hidden money to 501c4's.

I agree with you that people can be fair no matter how much money they give to a certain party. But, many people want to know this information and they are entitled to know it imo.

How much I am paid or by whom is irrelevant. I'm not engaged in election activities designed to influence an election. This is a discussion forum on politics.
IMHO you should be more worried about wealthy individuals over corporations.
Even corporations keep us in mind because we're the ones that spend the money to keep their revenues going.
Individuals though have only their personal agendas they want satisfied and don't give two hoots about the general public.

Wealthy individuals with their own PACs are much more dangerous to society than corporations IMHO.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:15 AM

13,389 posts, read 6,412,740 times
Quote:
IMHO you should be more worried about wealthy individuals over corporations.
Even corporations keep us in mind because we're the ones that spend the money to keep their revenues going.
Individuals though have only their personal agendas they want satisfied and don't give two hoots about the general public.

Wealthy individuals with their own PACs are much more dangerous to society than corporations IMHO.
I am concerned about both. I mentioned wealthy individuals along with corps before.

The point is there are wealthy individuals on both sides who are now using these 501c4 orgs as their own PACs. That is what should concern Americans imo as much as what has gone on at the IRS.

I think it would be great if they audited the largest orgs on both sides of the aisle and made examples out of them.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I am concerned about both. I mentioned wealthy individuals along with corps before.

The point is there are wealthy individuals on both sides who are now using these 501c4 orgs as their own PACs. That is what should concern Americans imo as much as what has gone on at the IRS.

I think it would be great if they audited the largest orgs on both sides of the aisle and made examples out of them.
Forget audit..get rid of them.
They only serve to promote corruption.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:19 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,488,745 times
Quote:
I cant speak for others, but for myself I want more information. The checks and balances definitely seem to be in a bit of a shambles, but they haven't all played out yet.
By the time you get all the information, Chelsea Clinton will be president. The IRS commish said it will take years to fully comply with the Committee subpoena. Besides, there's no reason to believe that Koskinen intends to comply.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I cant speak for others, but for myself I want more information. The checks and balances definitely seem to be in a bit of a shambles, but they haven't all played out yet.
Well Lerner took the 5th and has retired.
The emails requested are gone forever both from Lerner's machine, the six others who she emailed and also the IRS backup tapes.

Pretty much the IRS is saying there is nothing more they can provide.
And what they have provided just isn't enough to do anything with.

Those local IRS workers first accused of going rogue testified that they were told to go after these entities from their bosses.

So Congress worked their way up the chain until they got to Lerner who took the 5th.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
By the time you get all the information, Chelsea Clinton will be president. The IRS commish said it will take years to fully comply with the Committee subpoena. Besides, there's no reason to believe that Koskinen intends to comply.

I don't agree unless the actual intent of the Republican Congressional Committees is to drag this out to the next presidential election.

Koskinen is a man who is held in high regard by people who know him( both Democrats and Republicans) for years. Two presidents from different parties have tapped him for high profile difficult work.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Well Lerner took the 5th and has retired.
The emails requested are gone forever both from Lerner's machine, the six others who she emailed and also the IRS backup tapes.

Pretty much the IRS is saying there is nothing more they can provide.
And what they have provided just isn't enough to do anything with.

Those local IRS workers first accused of going rogue testified that they were told to go after these entities from their bosses.

So Congress worked their way up the chain until they got to Lerner who took the 5th.
They haven't talked to the IT people involved with the hard drive. Well they are talking to them behind the scenes and the IG is doing a new investigation on the hard drive. But, they haven't taken open testimony from the IT people yet.

If there was a huge conspiracy, there is evidence somewhere other than Lois Lerners emails.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:42 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,383,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
There are sub categories of 501c tax law. And I don't know the 501 tax exempt status of those organizations or all unions and I'm not going to look it up, but I do know that there are differences in tax exempt status requirements for different kinds of organizations.

But imo any organizations that violate the boundaries of the tax law should not have have tax exempt status.
Then why weren't they summarily denied instead of keeping the groups in limbo?

Old 06-28-2014, 08:55 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,206,647 times
Quote:
I don't agree unless the actual intent of the Republican Congressional Committees is to drag this out to the next presidential election.

Koskinen is a man who is held in high regard by people who know him( both Democrats and Republicans) for years. Two presidents from different parties have tapped him for high profile difficult work.
Seems it's the intent of the democrats to drag this out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.