Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:35 PM

746 posts, read 866,847 times

Advertisements

Even returning home AFTER college?! I read marriage is a factor, but, you don't have to be married to move out of your parents house! Not all parents even LET their kids stay at home, some get kicked out when they turn 18. What's with all this staying with mommy and daddy even though I'm an adult crap?! I can understand if its financial, but still by age 21 you should DEFINITELY at least be working on moving out. Life is better on your own so your parents aren't in your business and its more attractive to live on your own.

I may even rather get a little help from the government to live on my own then to stay at home. I mean things ARE expensive especially when you're younger cause you make less, so that's a valid reason for getting a little assistance, IF you REALLY need it. As in you literally can't afford it.

Staying at home is going to make it take longer to grow up. You don't have to wait to be married to move out. It could even be more attractive to already be independent. Also don't you want privacy? Yeah I know everyone wants privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:40 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
I'm going to go on a limb and guess you are an older gentleman?

The average student is graduating with roughly $23,000 in debt.

Couple that with stagnant wages, high unemployment numbers, baby boomers refusing to retire (not enough savings since the recession), and inflated real estate prices in the job "hot spots" and one would should not be surprised.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:43 PM

746 posts, read 866,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
I'm going to go on a limb and guess you are an older gentleman?

The average student is graduating with roughly $23,000 in debt.

Couple that with stagnant wages, high unemployment numbers, baby boomers refusing to retire (not enough savings since the recession), and inflated real estate prices in the job "hot spots" and one would should not be surprised.
I said I could understand financial reasons for it. At least its not stigmatized....
Oh and I'm 18.

Last edited by MynameisnotPeter; 04-23-2014 at 08:03 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 07:46 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
This isn't 1965 anymore. Jobs are being consolidated across the country into major metro centers, pushing up the cost of living even in formerly affordable southern states. Couple that with the fact that the purchasing power of the dollar is far lower than it was in the 1960s, fewer jobs that don't pay well, etc., and you have the perfect recipe for young people to stay with their parents. Also, it's demographics as well. The culture of moving out as soon as possible after turning 18 is mostly practice by those of northern European descent in the USA (this is far less common in northern Europe, where the average house price is about as much as New Jersey). People of southern European descent, latinos, and Asians all find it normal and acceptable for kids to stay with their parents, even after marriage

Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Hmmm...I have 8 kids, so some experience here.

unemployment kept a couple at home for a lot longer then they wanted
Laziness was a factor for one (he is now employed-but getting him there took some...effort, and its still not stable)
For another and her BF it was income vs expenses. Living at home was a good deal (she lived with BF's parents not me).

Anothers recently returned and that is because he needed a place to stay for his new job up here, the old one wasnt paying well, or having enough hours....

Old 04-23-2014, 07:48 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
I said I could understand financial reasons for it. At least its not stigmatized....
It sounds like you know the answer then. I've never heard of anybody living with their parents that had the financial means to not do so.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,341,250 times
It could be the lovely economy that the generation Y aged into.

U6 Unemployment Rate | Portal Seven

Old 04-23-2014, 07:56 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Many have been hoodwinked into college degrees and the resulting debt that offers no hope for the future. Hey at least they can stay on mommy and daddys insurance until 26.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:58 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Many have been hoodwinked into college degrees and the resulting debt that offers no hope for the future. Hey at least they can stay on mommy and daddys insurance until 26.
I know you aren't insinuating that a college degree is waste of money...

Old 04-23-2014, 07:59 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
I know you aren't insinuating that a college degree is waste of money...
Depends on the degree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies