Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 01:42 AM

312 posts, read 494,388 times

Advertisements

I'm more liberal and I want walkability. Most people do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 09:08 AM

991 posts, read 1,110,243 times
I grew up in a pretty well-off family in the middle of a city. I'm slightly left-of-center, educated, work hard, and prefer city life though I currently am bored out of my mind living in the 'burbs. I am a 35-year-old agnostic who is married with no intention of having kids - just not my thing. The suburbs seem to just shut down after dinnertime - not a ton of entertainment options out here. Also everything out here is very "kid" oriented...I don't have anything against that, but it's kind of a drag for us folk with no interest in kids.

I couldn't do the rural thing. Walkability is very important to me...my wife and I try to walk to a lot of places (dinners out, entertainment, etc.). It's a bit tougher in the 'burbs but not completely impossible where we live.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:07 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Political Polarization and Personal Life | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

It is an enduring stereotype – conservatives prefer suburban McMansions while liberals like urban enclaves – but one that is grounded in reality. Given the choice, three-quarters (75%) of consistent conservatives say they would opt to live in a community where “the houses are larger and farther apart, but schools, stores and restaurants are several miles away,” and just 22% say they’d choose to live where “the houses are smaller and closer to each other, but schools, stores and restaurants are within walking distance.” The preferences of consistent liberals are almost the exact inverse, with 77% preferring the smaller house closer to amenities, and just 21% opting for more square footage farther away.
What about those that want a home in the country large enough to meet their needs and no larger since it would be a waste and more to maintain, and want to be as far away from the other two as possible

Old 08-12-2014, 05:13 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I like our smallish house and semi smallish yard. Newer homes have about the same size lot but a much bigger house. Don't these people garden? Its not just having a big lawn, you can landscape your yard with trees and shrubs that attract wildlife and also have room to grow vegetables and have a little privacy. I've done some walking through suburbs and they have open green space surrounding drainage and water retention areas. Its nice. No stores or bars or restaurants within walking distance, but why would you want a business like that in your neighborhood, particularly if you'd have to live next to them? Eat at home or go out and drive 10 minutes. Whats wrong with staying home anyway?
If the suburb life isn't for you, you can go urban or rural. Urban gives you walking distance to small stores and eateries but you'll still have to drive or take a bus to the big box stores or malls. Lots of noise and neighbors bumping into you and parking can be a pain. If you go rural you have no neighbors but you will drive farther for goods and services. None are perfect and each appeals to different people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies