Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 12:10 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Dear Republicans, how then should the poor live?

Are you fishing with live bait or are you using lures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 12:14 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
Gosh, the suburbs are so depressing. Quietness, isolation, total dependency on cars.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:18 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I'm more liberal and I am 100% a city person, in Chicago. I love the vibe, the history, the convenience, the opportunities, and the money I save. I have a way of finagling cheap rent in decent neighborhoods, and I don't spend a dime on gas or transit because I bike everywhere, and save money on groceries and other things because there are so many options in just a 15-minute riding radius. I could maybe live for slightly cheaper in a rural area (definitely not a suburban one), but I'd spend much more time travelling around in a car.

What's even the advantage of a "big lawn"? It's a maintenance expense, and 98% of people don't even utilize it to its potential. It's like you pay a bunch of money for a big space so it can sit empty. If you were to actually spend time on your big front yard (at least in the suburbs), people would call you a hick and/or find some legal grounds for banning you from it.

I am more suburb than rural and my lot is .5 acre, most of it being lawn. I use my yard every day as I have an active dog I take out and romp around with. Most of my neighbors are as you describe and have the same sized lots. One thing about a big lot is it affords you privacy.

Why would any call one a hick for spending time on a lawn and why would they want to ban the practice. I could understand why progressives might but not for other reasons.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:19 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
This is probably because liberals tend to be younger and don't have families and kids yet.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Polls like this are nonsense. I live in a blue state in the bluest county of all and libs love their big homes with their big yards and constantly brag about the cheap prices they pay illegals to tend to their yards and homes. There's a reason the Clintons moved to Chappaqua...it's full of rich, white Democrats and lots of cheap help. //www.city-data.com/city/Chappaqua-New-York.html

You live in Essex County? Oh wait...Newark has some suburbs that aren't so blue...Hudson isn't as blue as Newark but Jersey City's suburbs I think are more blue than Newark's suburbs. I think the gut reaction is to say Essex has to be the bluest county and it isn't close.

I can't tell because I think it probably IS close - I don't see any "obvious" choice.

I can't think of any convenient cheap places for the help to live. The cheap help in Ridgewood live a stone's throw away in Paterson, but Mount Vernon isn't exactly next door to Chappaqua. Are the cheap help now living in White Plains and New Rochelle?

Old 06-15-2014, 12:30 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
What I took away from this polling information is this is another indication of conservative self delusion.

conservatives say they prefer to live in rural or small towns by huge margins, yet based on where they actually live, that is not true.

Anyone can take a look at interactive maps of where Americans live, and the reality is that more and more Americans live in big cities or the suburbs of big cities, and fewer and fewer American live in rural areas.

Yet despite this reality, conservatives have deluded themselves into believing they prefer living in small towns and rural areas at the moment the fewest Americans live in either place.

This is what the nation is confronting a group of zealots who are completely blind to their own nation's reality.

The realities of life sometimes do not jibe well with ones own desires.
Conservatives will often look at the big picture and do what's best for their families future rather than indulge in selfish inclinations at the expense of loved ones.
If that means living in the Burbs for a while when I would prefer to be in the country, then so be it.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:31 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times
Quote:
How ever they wish..

Old 06-15-2014, 12:31 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Interesting study. Rural areas are bastions of faith and thus conservatism in this country, so I'm not surprised. It's likely why conservatism is so held back by the focus on abortion in this country.
Not true.....I believe abortion is between a woman and her doctor.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:32 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Stop being poor.

I did.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Gosh, the suburbs are so depressing. Quietness, isolation, total dependency on cars.

Only if you are a chronic shopper.

Thousands and thousands and thousands of workers commute to work from NYC suburbs by train or bus. The LIRR takes thousands to and from Long Island to NYC every weekday. More thousands commute from northern New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies