Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 10:32 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
YOu know when I go to McDonald's, In n Out, Burger King, Burgermaster, 5 Guys, etc, they all have different prices. Why would hospitals be any different. Do you see any private hospitals posting huge profit margins? They charge what they want. don't like it? Go somewhere else.
Collusion makes sure your choices are severely limited. Again, you are arguing for mainstream con/Rep "free market" which is in reality a colluded monopoly.

Emergency care can't be negotiated. I can't help where they take me after a tree falls on my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 10:32 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Right over your head.

There are people who actually pay their 20%. If we didn't have to pay for insurance then this would be moot.

Do yourself a favor:

The next time you're sitting in the hospital having a heart attack and the doctor comes in to see you ask him his fee up front and if he'll wait outside while you call around to get a better quote from the hospital/doctor in the next town over.
The point he made was those who pay 20% have some sort of insurance which does not pay those prices ;they pay a contracted or Medicare a set price. Patients pay 20% (if that is their policy terms) of those price; not what you got which are like retail price. Provider doctors and hospitals bill separately by the way.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:50 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Collusion makes sure your choices are severely limited. Again, you are arguing for mainstream con/Rep "free market" which is in reality a colluded monopoly.

Emergency care can't be negotiated. I can't help where they take me after a tree falls on my head.
Yes...it can.

Negotiate the bill.....after.

Not long ago a friend got a chunk of meat stuck in his thoat......no insurance.

The bill al total was about $5000......I got them down to $1800......the doctor was really good about dropping her bill down.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:16 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortoggie View Post
The latest data about hospital charges came out last week. In our area, which has ten hospitals the charges for the same procedure varies greatly. In one case a heart procedure was $ 73,000.00 more than the exact same work thirty miles away. There is no rhyme nor reason as to what hospitals charge. This data was for 2012 and I think we lay people should track these reports and write letters to the editor and let the health care crooks know that we are watching and that one day we will find a way to stop their run away thievery.
Charges are one thing. actual prices paid are totally another.
Hospitals keep charges high knowing along that they won't be collecting that high charge.
At the end of the year they can then show all their 'write offs'.

Only a truly rich uninsured patient crawling out from under a rock hiding for the last 50 years would pay the full charge.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The ACA will fix it in about five years.

Many will close.

All of our local hospitals right now has hiring freezes.

I have a friend that has been a RN for 18 years.....she is concerned about her job.....not today....down the road.
If many hospitals close prices will go up.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
YOu know when I go to McDonald's, In n Out, Burger King, Burgermaster, 5 Guys, etc, they all have different prices. Why would hospitals be any different. Do you see any private hospitals posting huge profit margins? They charge what they want. don't like it? Go somewhere else.
And certainly some patients might be able to do this if there are sensible local choices.
But many patients don't have the luxury of multiple choices if they are geographically or functionally isolated. Or their doc only goes to one hospital.
And if it's a true emergency, they are generally stuck at the closest one. And then at whatever charge or price.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:21 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Charges are one thing. actual prices paid are totally another.
Hospitals keep charges high knowing along that they won't be collecting that high charge.
At the end of the year they can then show all their 'write offs'.

Only a truly rich uninsured patient crawling out from under a rock hiding for the last 50 years would pay the full charge.
It depends on how they file.....for the patient.

Self employed using a schedule C has 100% write off

Old 06-15-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Of course they are.

And it can be directly linked to our asinine system of "insurance," which is a concept that will inflate prices in EVERY case. Get rid of that and all the other middlemen, and you would see prices go down to a competitive level that real people in the real world can afford. Those companies in the medical establishment who could not become competitive would simply go the way of the dinosaur.
Those with disease or serious risk like most any senior needs the security of HC coverage.
What should they do?

Old 06-15-2014, 11:24 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
And certainly some patients might be able to do this if there are sensible local choices.
But many patients don't have the luxury of multiple choices if they are geographically or functionally isolated. Or their doc only goes to one hospital.
And if it's a true emergency, they are generally stuck at the closest one. And then at whatever charge or price.
Go to any Fast food place and ask "How much for a burger and you will get a exact price.

Go to most doctors and ask how much will this procedure cost and you will get a song and dance - ending with - I can't tell you. But even when they try, the ones I have asked have been off by at least a factor of ten.

Car mechanics even get closer to the mark.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The ACA will fix it in about five years.

Many will close.

All of our local hospitals right now has hiring freezes.

I have a friend that has been a RN for 18 years.....she is concerned about her job.....not today....down the road.
Our local hospital anticipates a 3-5% bump in revenues due to ACA and AZ Medicaid expansion. Simply from less no paying patients. As I profit share I hope they're right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies