U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 12-15-2007, 03:05 PM
419 posts, read 1,999,621 times
Reputation: 386


I read alot of articles written by the mainstream media and they are always ridiculing us nuts who write about politics on the Internet or call into talk radio. Only members of the establishment media can really talk about politics. What do you think about this? Are they really more qualified to talk for America because they are paid well and have a track record. Us Internet people are just a bunch of nuts who can not speak about politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 03:21 PM
5,768 posts, read 11,475,052 times
Reputation: 3854
The mainstream media is very afraid to offend people. As a result, it tends to ignore positions on various issues that are seen as too 'fringe' or controversial. On any given issue, there might be 70% consensus, and 30% dissent of one form or another. As a media outlet, if the views of the 30% really offend the other 70%, then you don't worry about that 30%.

However, these majority positions do not overlap among all people. I would guess that MOST of us hold at least a couple of positions on some issues that the majority would consider 'crazy' or 'immoral' or whatever else.

The internet makes it possible to express these feelings in relative anonymity, and for people who share controversial positions to find one another. The mainstream media surely finds this frightening, as it is like an end-run around the way in which they try to manage discourse.

There is also a healthy dollop of good old fashioned elitism, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 04:18 PM
6,761 posts, read 11,483,641 times
Reputation: 3025
The mainstream media can bite me. They have been providing misinformation, sensationalism, and flat out lies for far too long. They can go slide down a sandpaper slide into a pool of rubbing alcohol for all I care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Location: Journey's End
10,203 posts, read 26,821,560 times
Reputation: 3945
The immediate word that comes to mind is "threatened." If your bread and butter is in jeopardy, and the news media in general are seeing fewer profits, attacks at the possible competition begins.

I saw a quip about this very subject on "Crooks and Liars" this week, and I'm sure it came from another political blogger.

I'd say these days I gather news information from numerous sources, and the internet might represent more than 50% of that reading...that's 50% less print news I buy, or audio/visual news I watch or listen to---poor ratings; fewer dollars; more attacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Location: Northern California
3,712 posts, read 14,528,614 times
Reputation: 1940
Much of the mainstream media journalists are nothing more than stenographers for the Democratic party. Instead of reporting objectively, they feel they have to set an agenda and filter the news. And then they wonder why newspaper circulation and TV news viewership is declining as people go to talk radio and the internet to get their news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top