Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 06:13 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,357,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
See what I mean? The melting ice caps, the doubling of the rate of rise in the level of the world's oceans isn't real.

Nothing to see here. Go back to your houses. It isn't real. Just a bunch of conspirators who can't read a tape measure.

I rest my case. Thank you Brave One.
The Global Mean Sea Level has been rising since the last Ice Age about 18,000 years ago.

Do you want us to freak out and go jump off cliffs for something that's been occurring for 18 millennia and that always happens during an interglacial period?

If you're so worried about it go move to the mountains and start praying or something.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 06:15 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,007,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
President Obama gave a great commencement speech for UC Irvine this year.

President Obama Slams Global Warming Deniers

In summary he talks about the importance of this generation. The hardship we've experienced with our parents losing jobs and the student loan debt crisis. He then goes on to talk about his hope for the future and how 22 year olds make up the single most populous age group in the nation currently. Further discussion goes on how educated and ready to act we are despite how underrated many people treat the generation of current 20-somethings, and that we're the most optimistic generation and he sees hope.

Then he changes to slam global warming deniers. He cites quotes and stats from science journals, NASA scientists and studies done at UC Irvine, where he is speaking, affirming that there is no doubt the world is changing and that fossil fuel consumption are the number one leading cause. He says there is nothing like having a group who denies the existence of the very problem that needs to be solved. He compares it to people who thought landing on the moon was fruitless and unnecessary, but how because of the drive of young scientists in that generation it was done. He talks about emerging economies and how they're not going to act until America acts and that means we need to act. He even talks about the successes we've had in reducing fossil fuel consumption since 2006.

He finishes with recognizing the service of military students who are graduating and tells us to dream big, even if we're underrated, and goes on a rant about hope and how it has built our nation and will continue to make it great.

I'm more liberal than not, but I am definitely not an Obama fan-boy (I threw away my vote on a third party in 2012), but it was a great speech and restored some of my respect for him. I just wish he'd have taken a more firm stance on climate science and global warming in 2008.
IMHO, political hot-button issues don't really belong in commencement speeches, regardless of partisan ideasl or which party supports what ideas.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:29 PM

1,245 posts, read 919,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
We have a big health care issue and with Obama's fix, create even a bigger problem.

So, no to more big government. No to more regulation. No to more taxes.

No one is denying that climate is changing, but what is being denied here is temperature raising is cause by energy usage. And what people don't like is the solution to this is tax and more government.

Climate always changes, spring, fall, summer, winter ( not necessarily in that order ) What one do they want it to stay on, and not change to?

Old 06-16-2014, 06:30 PM

1,013 posts, read 906,072 times
look

the problem with global warming is not that people do not believe in it.
but what do they want us to do?

all they tell us to do is use less while certain groups at the top harping about it use 100x more than regular people.

so because you are rich you can tell others to not use it but yourself?
give us a break here.

if you want people to stop producing more CO2 you actually have to give people a reasonable alternative
not just BS.

increasing taxes/making things cost more intentionally
is just that making things inefficient and killing people in the process.

and thus in their quest to curb global warming they are committing acts of thievery to the poor.

first if you want to ask poor and middle class to produce less co2 then you must first set an example yourselves.

So Mr President how about not using the jets, cars, and also do not buy bottled water.
instead you should walk and use a bike instead.

also maybe you should live in a tent
that will help the environment

and in the process save our country some money
also stop going on vacations thanks.

just because you are rich doesn't mean you have to spend it all.
if you want to curb co2 ask the rich people first and stop asking poor+middle class people thanks.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:35 PM

1,245 posts, read 919,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Why are you talking to me? You know talking to me always ends badly for you. For instance, not only will I point out again that your own citation regarding this pause does not support your claims of fraud. I'll also note that while you accuse scientists of fraud because right-wingers are liars, you have no problem believing them when you think (incorrectly) their finding support what you've been instructed to believe.

Also, you've repeatedly ignored facts that denialists find inconvenient. Go look at the half dozen times or so I've proven your claim false for an example of how you ignore facts that contradict statements by right-wing clowns such as James Inhofe or yourself.

I look forward to your mindless bleating of some factoid you think vindicates your right-wing beliefs again.

Ha ha, and left wingers hate facts and evidence. What do you need carbon tax for? Money isn't going to change the weather!

Old 06-16-2014, 06:50 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,155,989 times
It's hard to take any message seriously when the messenger is a proven chronic liar.
I believe that man exasperates the change in the climate cycle. Millions of miles of black top,pollution etc. Then we have Obama crying about while he and his family take separate vacations jetting around the world. As some have mentioned the elite want the rest of us to do with less while they continue to use more.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:06 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,274,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
The East Anglia scandal exposing the global warming scare is all you need to read to understand this hoax.
As I was saying, there is no hoax.

What do the 'Climategate' hacked CRU emails tell us?

Quote:
n November 2009, the servers at the University of East Anglia in Britain were illegally hacked and emails were stolen. When a selection of emails between climate scientists were published on the internet, a few suggestive quotes were seized upon by many claiming global warming was all just a conspiracy. A number of independent enquiries have investigated the conduct of the scientists involved in the emails. All have cleared the scientists of any wrong doing:
  • In February 2010, the Pennsylvania State University released an Inquiry Report that investigated any 'Climategate' emails involving Dr Michael Mann, a Professor of Penn State's Department of Meteorology. They found that "there exists no credible evidence that Dr. Mann had or has ever engaged in, or participated in, directly or indirectly, any actions with an intent to suppress or to falsify data". On "Mike's Nature trick", they concluded "The so-called “trick”1 was nothing more than a statistical method used to bring two or more different kinds of data sets together in a legitimate fashion by a technique that has been reviewed by a broad array of peers in the field."
  • In March 2010, the UK government's House of Commons Science and Technology Committee published a report finding that the criticisms of the Climate Research Unit (CRU) were misplaced and that CRU’s "Professor Jones’s actions were in line with common practice in the climate science community".
  • In April 2010, the University of East Anglia set up an international Scientific Assessment Panel, in consultation with the Royal Society and chaired by Professor Ron Oxburgh. The Report of the International Panel assessed the integrity of the research published by the CRU and found "no evidence of any deliberate scientific malpractice in any of the work of the Climatic Research Unit".
  • In June 2010, the Pennsylvania State University published their Final Investigation Report, determining "there is no substance to the allegation against Dr. Michael E. Mann".
  • In July 2010, the University of East Anglia published the Independent Climate Change Email Review report. They examined the emails to assess whether manipulation or suppression of data occurred and concluded that "we find that their rigour and honesty as scientists are not in doubt."
  • In July 2010, the US Environmental Protection Agency investigated the emails and "found this was simply a candid discussion of scientists working through issues that arise in compiling and presenting large complex data sets."
  • In September 2010, the UK Government responded to the House of Commons Science and Technology Committee report, chaired by Sir Muir Russell. On the issue of releasing data, they found "In the instance of the CRU, the scientists were not legally allowed to give out the data". On the issue of attempting to corrupt the peer-review process, they found "The evidence that we have seen does not suggest that Professor Jones was trying to subvert the peer review process. Academics should not be criticised for making informal comments on academic papers".
  • In February 2011, the Department of Commerce Inspector General conducted an independent review of the emails and found "no evidence in the CRU emails that NOAA inappropriately manipulated data".
  • In August 2011, the National Science Foundation concluded "Finding no research misconduct or other matter raised by the various regulations and laws discussed above, this case is closed".
Just as there are many independent lines of evidence that humans are causing global warming, similarly a number of independent investigations have found no evidence of falsification or conspiracy by climate scientists.

Denialists need a new lie.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:07 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,274,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
Ha ha, and left wingers hate facts and evidence. What do you need carbon tax for? Money isn't going to change the weather!

Yeah, I sure do hate those facts and that evidence. Good call.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:46 PM

29,883 posts, read 18,733,701 times
When Obummer travels by bike and sailboat, moves into a small apartment, and turns off all electricity he doesn't produce, I'll lend him my ear.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:01 PM

21,399 posts, read 10,461,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
President Obama gave a great commencement speech for UC Irvine this year.

President Obama Slams Global Warming Deniers

He talks about emerging economies and how they're not going to act until America acts and that means we need to act. He even talks about the successes we've had in reducing fossil fuel consumption since 2006
That's the money quote right there. Emerging economies are not going to act EVEN IF America acts. Period!

Do you honestly think China or India is going to curb it's fossil fuel consumption just when their economies are growing by leaps and bounds and the standard of living of their people is rising? Of course not! They can talk about how they're doing this green thing or that green thing, but they're still putting in coal plants and pollution is getting even worse than Pittsburgh in the mid-20th Century. They're not going to do chit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies