Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 07:21 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,481,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
We aren't a nation founded on the christian faith. We are founded on the christian religious institution.

Whoa, news to me.

Why would a bunch of Deists, Pantheists, Quakers, etc... make a government founded on the Christian religious institution?

The 1796 Treaty with Tripoli EXPLICITLY says your claim is false, article XI says that the United States was "not in any sense founded on the Christian religion". This was not an idle statement meant to satisfy muslims-- they believed it and meant it. This treaty was written under the presidency of George Washington and signed under the presidency of John Adams.

The key founding fathers are usually accepted to be:

John Adams
Benjamin Franklin
Alexander Hamilton
John Jay
Thomas Jefferson
James Madison
George Washington

The ONLY one that could be considered an orthodox Christian was John Jay, and the other founding fathers were quick to bat down his notions of basing the nation on the Christian church.

Quote:
"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?"
-- John Adams

Quote:
"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it."
-- John Adams.

Quote:
"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced an inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."
-- Benjamin Franklin.

Quote:
"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any Church that I know of. My own mind is my own Church. Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all."
-- Thomas Paine

I do not care for people trying to pass legislation based on holy books, but I am in support of anyone who is trying to end the drug war, no matter what document they quote to strengthen their points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 07:24 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,152,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Whoa, news to me.

Why would a bunch of Deists, Pantheists, Quakers, etc... make a government founded on the Christian religious institution?

The 1796 Treaty with Tripoli EXPLICITLY says your claim is false, article XI says that the United States was "not in any sense founded on the Christian religion". This was not an idle statement meant to satisfy muslims-- they believed it and meant it. This treaty was written under the presidency of George Washington and signed under the presidency of John Adams.

The key founding fathers are usually accepted to be:

John Adams
Benjamin Franklin
Alexander Hamilton
John Jay
Thomas Jefferson
James Madison
George Washington

The ONLY one that could be considered an orthodox Christian was John Jay, and the other founding fathers were quick to bat down his notions of basing the nation on the Christian church.

-- John Adams

-- John Adams.

-- Thomas Jefferson

-- Benjamin Franklin.

-- Thomas Paine

I do not care for people trying to pass legislation based on holy books, but I am in support of anyone who is trying to end the drug war, no matter what document they quote to strengthen their points.
Again, the religion (as an organization), not the faith..

You completely missed that.

You do realize that the organization of churches has virtually nothing to do with the faith shown in holy books, right?

Old 06-19-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Again, the religion (as an organization), not the faith..

You completely missed that.

You do realize that the organization of churches has virtually nothing to do with the faith shown in holy books, right?
Uh, try again. They are speaking DIRECTLY of the RELIGION. Let me get something YOU apparently missed.

Quote:
article XI says that the United States was "not in any sense founded on the Christian religion".

Old 06-19-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Uh, try again. They are speaking DIRECTLY of the RELIGION.
...no they aren't. The religion is an institution permeating society (and the religious institution of the christian church is the ONLY reason England was abandoned to form America in the first place). The faith is something completely different.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
...no they aren't. The religion is an institution permeating society (and the religious institution of the christian church is the ONLY reason England was abandoned to form America in the first place). The faith is something completely different.
All those quotes say Christian religion, NOT "Christian beliefs."

Old 06-19-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
All those quotes say Christian religion, NOT "Christian beliefs."
So you blindly trust what you read to be true? Cool...

That always works out well

Old 06-19-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
So you blindly trust what you read to be true? Cool...

That always works out well
What the hell does that even mean?

Believe what to be true? These quotes are confirmed.

Good thing you gave up the issue and started attacking the poster, you already lost otherwise.

FULL text of article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli:

Quote:
As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
What the hell does that even mean?

Believe what to be true? These quotes are confirmed.

Good thing you gave up the issue and started attacking the poster, you already lost otherwise.

FULL text of article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli:
Did you completely ignore what I just said?

You do realize that not everything someone says as a quote is going to be true, right? If you believe that, then won't you have to believe anything Limbaugh claims as absolute truth?

Yet again, try to think for yourself. Please!

Old 06-19-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Did you completely ignore what I just said?

You do realize that not everything someone says as a quote is going to be true, right? If you believe that, then won't you have to believe anything Limbaugh claims as absolute truth?

Yet again, try to think for yourself. Please!
I am quoting an INTERNATIONAL TREATY. THIS IS A GOVERNMENT DOCUMENT. I also quoted the founding fathers of the country... the people who FOUND it.

I am thinking for myself, I have provided VERIFIABLE evidence, you have provided none, you just deride posters who expose you to FACTS.

(Interesting fact; you have NOT addressed a single quote, OR the Treaty of Tripoli... YOU are the one ignoring what is being said.)

Old 06-19-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I am quoting an INTERNATIONAL TREATY. THIS IS A GOVERNMENT DOCUMENT. I also quoted the founding fathers of the country... the people who FOUND it.

I am thinking for myself, I have provided VERIFIABLE evidence, you have provided none, you just deride posters who expose you to FACTS.

(Interesting fact; you have NOT addressed a single quote, OR the Treaty of Tripoli... YOU are the one ignoring what is being said.)
Yet again, the words printed in a text are not always true. How is that hard for you to understand? Do you always completely and blindly agree with whatever you read, regardless of the source?

Good god...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies