Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 05:40 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,831 times

Advertisements

So what do you all think about this? I have not seen anything here on CD about it. (Maybe it's in another fourm and I missed it?)

‘Permanent’ custody of Justina Pelletier awarded to state of Massachusetts - Health & wellness - The Boston Globe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 06:04 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
It seems like it's only sort of permanent. The parents can appeal again in the summer. Maybe by then they will figure out that they need to settle down to get their daughter back or at least near their home.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:08 PM

From what I have read her parents have been more than "settled down". I have seen interviews with her father and he is way more composed and calm than I would be if this was happening to one of my kids.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:11 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
There has to be more to this issue than is released to the public.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:19 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
From what I have read her parents have been more than "settled down". I have seen interviews with her father and he is way more composed and calm than I would be if this was happening to one of my kids.
They had a near by facility arranged for her to go to but the father called up and threatened to sue.
Quote:
Pelletier is at a residential facility in Framingham, Wayside Youth and Family Support Network, and it remains unclear whether or when the state child-protection agency will act on its stated efforts to get the girl back to her home state. Its previous efforts to try to find a residential treatment center for her in Connecticut have failed, largely due to the reluctance of many providers to get involved in a high-profile controversy. One facility in Connecticut, which had tentatively agreed to accept Justina last year, balked after the father, Lou, threatened to sue them.
Were I him, I would be doing what I could to get her back in my state, placed under the jurisdiction of my state's CPS, in hopes that they would be less inclined to listen to Boston Children's Hospital.

The part that has always bothered me the most about this case is that a third opinion has not been sought since two respectable medical teams have arrived at a different diagnosis for her.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:27 PM

If I recall correctly the parents, or anyone else, have not been allowed to have her seen by any other physicians for a "third" opinion.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:44 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
The parents seem kind of nutty to me, but that's no reason to take their custody away. Unless she is suicidal or they were abusing her it seems inappropriate.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:50 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It seems like it's only sort of permanent. The parents can appeal again in the summer. Maybe by then they will figure out that they need to settle down to get their daughter back or at least near their home.
One of the most insensitive comments I've ever read.

Signed someone who was taking from their parents and became a ward of the state for SIXTEEN YEARS..

settle down my ass..

Old 03-27-2014, 07:59 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,419 times
The sister has mitochondrial disease, is being treated for it, and hasn't been taken away by the state. This girl was ice skating competitively and in generally good health (with the same diagnosis as her sister), until being treated for flu symptoms outside Connecticut. Now she can't walk or take care of herself and is in extremely poor health. She's also far from her home and family, and being kept in a psych ward. Maybe there is more to the story, but no one has alleged child abuse, just MEDICAL child abuse - which means you don't have the right as a parent to seek the treatment that works for your doctor, children and family, and if you do you may permanently lose custody.

Let's see how many people fail to get their children adequate medical treatment out of fear as a direct result of this case.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:01 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times
This story is just breaking my heart right now actually. I heard about it for the first time today.

Every single adult seems to have made such horrible decisions the whole way through and it's caused her to be locked up in a hospital for a year.

Even if they disagree with what her parents were doing, they have to realize that is worse for her.

But I can't fully support her parents either based on what we know.

Sadly she is the one suffering from everybody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies