Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 10:33 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,167,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Call me Liberal,

But I think if this land is your land and this land is my land from California to the New York Islands from the redwood forest to the gulfstream waters

Then every American as a right through Govt should be entitled free of charge to see:

New York Statue of Liberty and Times Square and Wall Street
Washington Monument and Smithsonian DC
Chicago Wrigley Field
Golden Gate Bridge
Hollywood Sign in LA and Sunset Strip
Walt Disney World Orlando and Kennedy Space Center
Mount Rushmore in South Dakota
Grand Canyon Arizona
Yosemite and Lake Tahoe
Yellow Stone National Park in Wyoming
San Antonio Riverwalk
Bourbon Street New Orleans
Mall of America (Minnesota)
Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia
Las Vegas Strip
Colorado Great Divide
Pearl Harbor Hawaii
Alaska Denali National Park and Mt McKinley

I want every person in USA to see these things before they die. The way to make this happen would be to add a national sales tax but not in place of income tax. And make it a 15% sales tax.

Average US income is 30K somewhere and average person spends about what at least 10K a year when you include apartment rent, food, and gas? So 15% that on national sales tax that's $1,500 a year

Doing all this itinerary above could be packaged all into one $15,000 trip so 20-30 years of the new natl sales tax can more than cover it
I absolutely agree as long as you pay for it.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:35 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,167,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So we shouldn't travel and vacation?
Not on my dime.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:47 AM

19,779 posts, read 12,024,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Call me Liberal,

But I think if this land is your land and this land is my land from California to the New York Islands from the redwood forest to the gulfstream waters

Then every American as a right through Govt should be entitled free of charge to see:

New York Statue of Liberty and Times Square and Wall Street
Washington Monument and Smithsonian DC
Chicago Wrigley Field
Golden Gate Bridge
Hollywood Sign in LA and Sunset Strip
Walt Disney World Orlando and Kennedy Space Center
Mount Rushmore in South Dakota
Grand Canyon Arizona
Yosemite and Lake Tahoe
Yellow Stone National Park in Wyoming
San Antonio Riverwalk
Bourbon Street New Orleans
Mall of America (Minnesota)
Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia
Las Vegas Strip
Colorado Great Divide
Pearl Harbor Hawaii
Alaska Denali National Park and Mt McKinley

I want every person in USA to see these things before they die. The way to make this happen would be to add a national sales tax but not in place of income tax. And make it a 15% sales tax.

Average US income is 30K somewhere and average person spends about what at least 10K a year when you include apartment rent, food, and gas? So 15% that on national sales tax that's $1,500 a year

Doing all this itinerary above could be packaged all into one $15,000 trip so 20-30 years of the new natl sales tax can more than cover it
You are so severely out of touch with reality if you think people can travel the entire US and see everything you listed for $15,000. Many families spend $15,000 on a trip to Walt Disney World alone. Please do provide details of how you would implement this plan, more than adding yet more taxes.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:38 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,176,264 times
I have been to most. No desire to go to see a stadium in Chicago. I like traveling over seas. There is a lot to see without going to institutionalized tourist traps.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:41 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,925,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Every American should also get free cable television, a lifetimes supply of beer and pretzels, and free sex whenever they want with a nubile teen as part of the Obamacare package.
Just as long as a certain ex Democratic POTUS doesn't provide the cigars.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:56 AM

13,287 posts, read 7,833,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Just as long as a certain ex Democratic POTUS doesn't provide the cigars.
Better than a gay cigar.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:02 PM

13,287 posts, read 7,833,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
We The People, told them the government, we will be in charge of our right to travel.
Then why is LSD still illegal?

Old 06-17-2014, 12:10 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,962,038 times
Hell, why'd you stop there. Why not include the first McDonald's, Wall Drug, Trump Tower and a game of horse on Larry Ellison's yacht?

I've been to about half the list. The US does a great job with National Parks. Too bad we don't pay most of the people who work there a living wage.

I did get upset at visiting the USS Arizona. Nothing I've visited tapped into national pride more than that. I've never had any reason to be upset with a Japanese person in my entire life. Yet I was pretty pissed off by the time we left. Something about a whole lot of them smiling and taking photographs over an underwater tomb that they created. A culture that is historically all about respect showing a complete lack of it.

Kinda made me want to book a trip to Hiroshima so I could the same. But I haven't.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:13 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,644,082 times
They can they just won;'t be given expenses; but they can look for free.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:18 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,038,888 times
No one is stopping you from seeing those places. Take a bus if you don't want or can't afford a trip. However IMO working hard and saving up money to visit those places is far more rewarding than someone just giving you the trip. It gives you the sense of "I earned this" and you did, and you get to enjoy your own little vacation.

Also there is nothing "free" here. Someone would pay for it, through higher taxes on all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies