Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 11:51 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Bush: "This (Hussein) is a man who has got connections with Al Qaida. Imagine a terrorist network with Iraq as an arsenal and as a training ground.."
I remember that. I remember having to brush the dirt out of my teeth, my jaw hit the ground so fast. "We have no evidence regarding a connection to Al Qaida, but imagine if we did."

Really? Imagine they're a threat? Unbelievable.

To be honest, I don't remember what colour your Rainbow of Fear took on that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 11:52 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
And then he would have been blamed for being "weak on Iraqi" and "giving up the gains we've made there," whatever those are, because realistically, we haven't accomplished much of anything. Of course, this assumes Obama has any real say in the matter anyway - no doubt plenty of very powerful people who answer to neither party have vested reasons to keep the war going in the Mid East forever...
Potential blame is a poor reason not to act in the interest of the country and if the CinC cannot order troops withdrawn from another country, Congress should be investigating that instead of sitting on its collective ass which seems to be its one unquestionable talent.

Obama may have inherited a useless war of choice but he's had more than enough time to end it, it's on him now and I can only hope the only reason more US troops enter that cesspool will be to empty the Embassy and turn out the lights in that $700M waste of taxpayer $$$.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:54 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
Bush lied, Cheney lied, Powell lied. Anyone who believes otherwise at this point, more than ten years out, is bleeding koolaid. There really are only a few hangers-on left in the world, and they're all rightwing nutjobs right here in the US of A. There will probably always be a small but annoyingly vocal minority who still maintain that Iraq was a good idea, even though their reasoning is as laughable as it is tragic.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Potential blame is a poor reason not to act in the interest of the country and if the CinC cannot order troops withdrawn from another country, Congress should be investigating that instead of sitting on its collective ass which seems to be its one unquestionable talent.

Obama may have inherited a useless war of choice but he's had more than enough time to end it, it's on him now and I can only hope the only reason more US troops enter that cesspool will be to empty the Embassy and turn out the lights in that $700M waste of taxpayer $$$.
What do you mean by "it's on him?" He pulled out the troops in 2011 like he said he would. It's not his fault the place descended into a complete s**thole, notwithstanding the eminent brilliant sage John McCain's remarks.

Beyond that, Iraq is a completely unmitigated disaster directly resulting from our lunatic and criminal invasion. That is what is causing this. At this point, there may be no solution. There may be a civil war, I don't know. Maybe it will calm down eventually, but that's unlikely.

edit: $700m is being kind. Most estimates at this point have us well over a couple trillion. Dollars, that is. My dollars. Your dollars.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:03 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Remember how Bush said Iraq posed a threat? Remember how it didn't? There you go.

Bush said Iraq posed a threat. Iraq did not pose a threat. Therefore Bush was lying. The discussion of the intelligence Bush ignored because it did not support his decision to invade is ten years old. Where have you been?

Oh. "America does not torture". That's another lie the torturer Bush told.
No. No. No. That's not proving there was a lie told. That's telling us there was faulty intelligence. And that's hindsight 20/20.

You call it a lie. You can't back it up. Therefore you and your liberal bretheren are the liars.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:08 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
What do you mean by "it's on him?" He pulled out the troops in 2011 like he said he would. It's not his fault the place descended into a complete s**thole, notwithstanding the eminent brilliant sage John McCain's remarks.

Beyond that, Iraq is a completely unmitigated disaster directly resulting from our lunatic and criminal invasion. That is what is causing this. At this point, there may be no solution. There may be a civil war, I don't know. Maybe it will calm down eventually, but that's unlikely.

edit: $700m is being kind. Most estimates at this point have us well over a couple trillion. Dollars, that is. My dollars. Your dollars.
Exactly.

But remember, it's somehow Obama's fault: the war even began, the war didn't end immediately when he took office, the war ended when planned, he didn't send troops to Iraqi, and that he did send troops to Iraqi.

As for Bush and his cronies, they lied to us - those are the facts, and right-wing attempts to rewrite history will not change that.

http://carnegieendowment.org/files/Iraq3FullText.pdf

Everyone knows the truth, and the far-right's attempt to run away from their "position at the time" is simply laughable.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:11 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:

Yet there's still said to be more than 5,000 civilian contractors in Iraq. Who's paying/protecting them? IMO every American should have been given a deadline to leave and been told after that they were on their own.

Quote:
The $700M is for the Embassy alone. Great investment in America, eh?

Old 06-17-2014, 12:12 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Default If Faulty Intelligence for the Iraq War is Considered A Lie, Then Barack's Faulty Benghazi Intelligence Is a Lie Too

Just like the title says: If liberals disingenuously insist on claiming that the faulty intelligence used by George W. Bush in the run-up to the Iraq War was actually a bald-faced lie told by the President, then logic would dictate that the "faulty intelligence" that Barack Obama used as a cover-up for the Benghazi massacre (ie. the YouTube video) was a bald-faced lie told by the President as well.

Both have been touted as "faulty intelligence" by the respective administrations, but liberals insist that it was a "lie" that Bush told but it was merely "the best intelligence we had at the time" in deflecting criticisms for Barack Obama's failure in Benghazi.

Pure, unadulterated hypocrisy on display once again.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:13 PM

I hadn't heard about the contractor situation. Well, it stands to reason. Contractors were one of the main beneficiaries of the war. I agree with you; eject them now.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:14 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Exactly.

But remember, it's somehow Obama's fault: the war even began, the war didn't end immediately when he took office, the war ended when planned, he didn't send troops to Iraqi, and that he did send troops to Iraqi.

As for Bush and his cronies, they lied to us - those are the facts, and right-wing attempts to rewrite history will not change that.

http://carnegieendowment.org/files/Iraq3FullText.pdf

Everyone knows the truth, and the far-right's attempt to run away from their "position at the time" is simply laughable.

I've offered that link at least twice in this thread alone, and the vocal minority won't even open it, much less read it. It's somehow all the Democrat's fault.

What I fault Congress with is not vetting the information. They had the means to do it, and didn't. They just jumped on the rah rah lets go to war bandwagon Bush was driving. And, I think that's just what Bush and his cronies were counting on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies