Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should black americans be given reparations?
Yes 6 3.85%
No 150 96.15%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 03:50 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post

So in conclusion, black people have continued to fall far behind everyone else because no one has ever specifically helped black people.
This is absolutely false. Skin pigment has NO bearing on capability, capacity, competence, or anything else. Black people DO NOT need anything "specifically for them". That's racism to the extreme, in my view. They don't require ANYTHING different than what anyone else needs - initiative, understanding opportunity, belief in what they can be, and gaining for themselves a vision of what they, as individuals, wish to be in life.

Quote:
No law has ever specifically helped black people.
None is needed.

Quote:
We came out of slavery with nothing, and even that was taken from us in the years that followed.
Who is "we"? And of those "we" who died decades ago, what does that have to do with you?

Quote:
We were terrorized up until the 1960's, and most of those Civil Right Laws didn't really start helping us until 1970.
What do you need help for? Are you incapable of doing what everyone else does?

Quote:
It's nothing short of a miracle looking at where we are now with only 45 years of actual protection under the law. It's time something be done specifically for black people. It's time we took measures to give reparations.
Who is wronging YOU, the individual, and what is that person or persons doing to you?

Old 08-04-2014, 03:55 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
this white American does not give a shi*
don't like your life do something about it
I have no white guilt
so go honk your stuff to someone who cares
I am almost 63 years old I work hard and I do not stick my hand out nor you I **** an moan for my lot in life
it is people like you that will always be a slave you have put the chains on yourself, pathetic!!!
go call your president maybe he will give you a buck, but don't count on it!! all he does is use the race card he does not care about the black folks how could he and do what he does to you????
get off your soap box you will gain nothing from me
Well said....thank you!!!!!

Old 08-04-2014, 03:57 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,179 times
Quote:
I'm actually all for getting rid of Affirmative Action. Again we are the poster family for this program, but in actuality this program helped white people more than any other group. Yet forget it, get rid of it. Get rid of all welfare programs, which again more white people are on it than anyone else. Get rid of all those social programs. Just give me my reparations and we can forget slavery and the Jim Crow era ever happened.
So you're saying a monetary payment will make you "forget slavery and the Jim Crow Era ever happened". Wow, deep cultural scars there if a cash payment will fix it.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:00 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,446,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Wow, maybe you need to send the memo to Ursula M. Burns CEO Xerox, and Kenneth I. Chenault CEO AMEX, and Kenneth C. Frazier, CEO Merck and Oprah Winfrey CEO Oprah Networks and wealthiest woman in the world, and Magic Johnson of Magic Johnson Enterprises, and Clarence Otis CEO Darden Restaurants, and Don Thompson CEO McDonald's, and Barack Obama President of the US and most powerful man on the planet.

There are many many blacks in powerful positions. Proof that anyone can work hard and become something more than a historical footnote.

The only one out of that group that's a billionaire, is Oprah. (by the way, not the wealthiest woman in the country much less the world) All their successes are good, but you keep forgetting about the enormous gap and everything between black and white families. How can a group that's been in this nation for centuries, be so disadvantage today in terms of overall population? According to many, everything wrong with this nation involves black people. How are these things so? It's because we only started to truly live in this country about 40+ years ago. For all those names you listed, I can name hundreds of white people and white immigrant people who are well ahead any of those names in terms of wealth and position. According to most, Obama is just about the worst president we ever had in office. He is supposedly so powerful in his position, yet haven't got much done it seems. (Of course again I hate the politics of this country. Like a bunch of grown children fussing over each other)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

What does that have to do with reparations? More whites than blacks marched in the protests, and quite a few died.

Could blacks have become emancipated without the civil war? Over 200,000 white northerners died for their emancipation. Should their families get reparations? I think not!

It has everything to do with reparations. You haven't answered my question, could America have done without the Civil Rights Movement? More whites marching than blacks? I doubt it, but even so, every time I look at documentaries I often see black people going to jail and being hosed down with water. Yes, white people were involved of course, but the main people in the movement was backed by black people. Black people were the ones going to jail and being killed at a higher rate than anyone else. The movement was for the rights of black people, but it turned out the end result came to be the rights of all people.

Again with the Civil War stuff. The war wasn't to fight for the plight of black slaves. This whole nation needs to take a history lesson I imagine because we still talk like the North fought for our rights. If that was true, why in the world did it take the Civil Rights Movement later to finally get some equal protection under the law if the North fought for us?

Old 08-04-2014, 04:11 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,749,948 times
every black person who whines about something that happened a trillion years ago needs to spend an afternoon with a native american.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:15 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,749,948 times
also, please explain what you mean. what do you want, and who do you think should pay for it?

Old 08-04-2014, 04:17 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
During the 1600's Ireland was the primary source of English slave trade. The English preferred Irish children to adults.
I just saw in today's paper a photo showing white cotton pickers here in AZ that lived in tents...back in the early 40's it looked like. Dirt poor...and white. My mom and dad stopped and picked cotton on their way to CA back in the late 30's. Work American's wont do.....

Old 08-04-2014, 04:21 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,446,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
So you're saying a monetary payment will make you "forget slavery and the Jim Crow Era ever happened". Wow, deep cultural scars there if a cash payment will fix it.
It wouldn't make me forget, but everyone else can forget if they want to. I won't mention it again to them. With the reparations, black people can finally move forward and feel like our ancestors are finally recognized for all their hardship. That it finally paid off for black people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post

No, they aren't. In fact, it is quite the opposite. When whites came to America it was nothing but a barren wilderness. When blacks came to America it was a thriving civilization. So once they were freed from slavery, the blacks benefited from everything built by the whites. Sounds ridiculous to you? It is. But guess what? It's the exact same stupid logic as yours is, just done in reverse.

When whites settlers came to America, last time I checked they ran the Natives off their land and stole their resources. At first they made the natives work as slaves, but of course they were dying from disease. Plus the Natives knew their land, and quite frequently ran away. That's when some cat had the bright idea of enslaving black africans. We were used to European type diseases, and the land wasn't familiar to us. So very earlier after white settlers came to America, you had the first shipping of african slaves. Through that process, America became very rich. In fact, the British was taking a lot of that money away from the colonies, and that's one of the reasons why America went to war for their freedom.

Quote:
No, it's because those laws engendered the sense of entitlement that you are displaying right now. People who feel they deserve to be given a life don't work as hard to earn that life for themselves. People who are told that their problems aren't their own fault do not work at solving those problems. This is why the social problems in the black community are worse today than they were before Civil Rights. It's the big elephant in the room for people like you. It's the dirty little secret that is never addressed by civil rights activists. It's the hole in their theories they've never been able to plug up. All the crime, the drug abuse, the school dropouts, the broken families, the unemployment - all of it - were better prior to the Civil Rights movement than after, despite the activists attempting to spread false rhetoric that racism is the cause of those problems.

It is in fact the very programs designed to help black people that caused their problems by breeding a sense of entitlement and victimhood into them.
Yet these programs weren't put in place just for black people, even though black people were the root for why they even exist. White people by association, benefited from these programs way more than black people. That's probably why we see the continuing gap in terms of income.

Quote:
Black people do not deserve anything to help them specifically. You get equality under the law. That's it. That's what rule of law means.
For the longest we didn't have that. Remember, the Civil Rights Movement was only 50+ years ago. Black people have been in this country for centuries.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
In this modern world, it's time for the US to finally repay the descendants of the slaves. African Americans are the only people group in this whole country who literally had to work their way up from nothing. We aren't like other immigrants in this country who came here owning something. We left slavery with only the scraps of clothing on our backs. Think about it, there were millions of acres of land to be had back in those days, and not one black person was given an inch. All the land was put back in the hands of the white majority, or given to white immigrants. The injustice of it all is sickening. Then of course you had all the days of terror following slavery. Whatever we did manage to own after those days, was straight up taken from us just like that. We couldn't argue or go to the police, for fear of being lynched and murdered. A lot of us was arrested for complaining about work conditions, in which we became slaves again. Even those who worked as share croppers, were beat with the same whip of the slave master.

All of that injustice continued up until the Civil Rights Era. Yet whatever programs came from that era, whether it helped black people or not, in reality it helped all people, including white people. Take Affirmative Action for instance. The single most beneficial group of affirmative action are white women. Last time I checked, most white women go on to marry white men. So in essence, affirmative action benefited the white family more than any other group. For all those immigrants coming into America and successfully accomplishing that "American Dream", you have black people to thank for that. Before the Civil Rights Movement, the only group who could accomplish the American Dream was white males. So why is that, why all these civil rights laws and motions that were designed to help black people, only succeeded in helping everyone else more? Its simply because all these laws are ambiguous. In them they are written as helping "all" people, and not black people specifically. If you ever, and don't forget this, write a law specifically designed to help black folk, that law will never ever get passed. Even the 13th amendment itself doesn't specifically mention black people. (If you watch the movie "Lincoln", Tommy Lee Jones who played Thaddeus Stevens basically had to dance around the issue of freeing black people in order for them to pass the law.)

[b]So in conclusion, black people have continued to fall far behind everyone else because no one has ever specifically helped black people. No law has ever specifically helped black people. We came out of slavery with nothing, and even that was taken from us in the years that followed. We were terrorized up until the 1960's, and most of those Civil Right Laws didn't really start helping us until 1970. It's nothing short of a miracle looking at where we are now with only 45 years of actual protection under the law. It's time something be done specifically for black people. It's time we took measures to give reparations.
This last paragraph. Why is this. And you are wrong that only blacks have worked their way up from nothing.....all immigrants did and did not have the civil rights laws the blacks had or have. Asians came here in rags and sent their children to medical schools, built businesses and it took over a hundred years for blacks to even come close to their achievements. I supported the civil rights movement by the way and Lydon B. Johnson (D) was opposed to it while a senator as were many democrats back in the day.
You watch too many Hollywood movies perhaps.
My hero is Dr. Ben Carson who did not stop to listen to the hype the leftist plantation owners spewed.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't make me forget, but everyone else can forget if they want to. I won't mention it again to them. With the reparations, black people can finally move forward and feel like our ancestors are finally recognized for all their hardship. That it finally paid off for black people.

When whites settlers came to America, last time I checked they ran the Natives off their land and stole their resources. At first they made the natives work as slaves, but of course they were dying from disease. Plus the Natives knew their land, and quite frequently ran away. That's when some cat had the bright idea of enslaving black africans. We were used to European type diseases, and the land wasn't familiar to us. So very earlier after white settlers came to America, you had the first shipping of african slaves. Through that process, America became very rich. In fact, the British was taking a lot of that money away from the colonies, and that's one of the reasons why America went to war for their freedom.

Yet these programs weren't put in place just for black people, even though black people were the root for why they even exist. White people by association, benefited from these programs way more than black people. That's probably why we see the continuing gap in terms of income.

For the longest we didn't have that. Remember, the Civil Rights Movement was only 50+ years ago. Black people have been in this country for centuries.
So have the Chinese, Irish, Polish etc been in this country for centuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies