Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should black americans be given reparations?
Yes 6 3.85%
No 150 96.15%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 05:59 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times

Advertisements

Nope. Doesn't this ever get old?

Old 06-26-2014, 06:02 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
And some sort of apology money to descendants?

It affected the whole education and wealth disparity in America. It's very bad and was wrong

I am not a descendent of a slave owner but I think it's unfair that I did not have to go through slave family line and other people did because of the color of skin. That is messed up.

These people are suffering the de-education of family line coerced by not being allowed to read or write and then vote and based on cosmetic appearance and this can be made right with apology restitution
Why should people alive today apologize for people did in the past? Or are they just guilty by skin color? If I had a serial killer in my family tree one hundred years ago should I apologize for him even though I didn't commit the crime?

Old 06-26-2014, 06:02 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
But black people did not enslave other black people the brutal way white people did. It was more like a team and team leader ordeal not harsh confinement

Right..........................

Old 06-26-2014, 06:04 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
No-

I have never owned slaves. My ancestors fought and died to free the slaves- the descendents of slaves owe me, not the other way around.

I am sure that if my ancestors knew that freed slaves would demand reparations in the future, they would have turned their guns against the Union, rather than fighting in Grant and Sherman's army.
It's the right thing to do. Grant and Sherman did not care about helping black people, they just happened to have a common enemy being the confederacy, which threatened the Union by forging a cotton trade to the enrichment of Britain and Europe that would have helped those countries get more riches than the Union so the Union felt betrayed and to protect itself took on the issue of slavery,

Much like the US does not care if Canadian softwood lumberjacks are not paid enough when they fought a trade war with Canadian softwood lumber

Old 06-26-2014, 06:06 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why should people alive today apologize for people did in the past? Or are they just guilty by skin color? If I had a serial killer in my family tree one hundred years ago should I apologize for him even though I didn't commit the crime?
Slavery was a large organized crime though

Old 06-26-2014, 06:11 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
And some sort of apology money to descendants?
Nope.

Tell you what, how about black Americans issue a statement of thanks and gratitude money to the descendants of the white Americans who risked life and limb during the Civil Rights era protesting and demonstrating on behalf of the ancestors of those black Americans? That's no more silly than what you're proposing.
Quote:
It affected the whole education and wealth disparity in America. It's very bad and was wrong
Yes. It was also 150 years ago.
Quote:
I am not a descendent of a slave owner but I think it's unfair that I did not have to go through slave family line and other people did because of the color of skin. That is messed up.
That is simply factually incorrect. You went through a slave family line if your ancestors were slaves. It has to do with your ancestry, not your skin color. There are black Americans whose ancestors immigrated after slavery was abolished. There are also black Americans whose ancestors were in America during slavery but weren't slaves themselves. You're descended from slaves if you are descended from slaves. You aren't descended from slaves if your skin is black.
Quote:
These people are suffering the de-education of family line coerced by not being allowed to read or write and then vote and based on cosmetic appearance and this can be made right with apology restitution
No, these people are not suffering those things. Those things happened decades and decades ago. Slavery was abolished 150 years ago and the Civil Rights Amendments were passed 50 years ago. Almost no American who is of school or working age in 2014 was older than a small child pre-Civil Rights.

We paid reparations to the Japanese-Americans who were put in internment camps during WW2 because they were the actual people who were in the internment camps. Paying someone reparations because their great-grandmother was a slave is silly.

Last edited by kidkaos2; 06-26-2014 at 06:22 AM..

Old 06-26-2014, 06:14 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I do mostly agree. But if people like "Sons and Daughters of the Confederacy" can celebrate and take pride in their heritage and the things their great-great-grandparents did, they can also show regret and responsibility for the heinous things they did. Just saying...

Old 06-26-2014, 06:20 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I do mostly agree. But if people like "Sons and Daughters of the Confederacy" can celebrate and take pride in their heritage and the things their great-great-grandparents did, they can also show regret and responsibility for the heinous things they did. Just saying...
Sure, but that's a personal thing involving particular people. If you are the descendant of a slave owner and wish to make amends for your family history in some way, then that's admirable. But the question on this thread was if Caucasians in general should make amends. 99.9% of the Caucasians in America today have no links whatsoever with slavery. Most Americans are descendants of immigrants who arrived in America after slavery was abolished. Even if you are from a Southern family that was in America during the slavery period, the fact is that the overwhelming majority of people who lived in slave states during slavery were subsistence farmers and merchants and had nothing to do with slavery themselves.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:44 AM

1,704 posts, read 749,091 times
Life is not fare. Love is not fare. War is not fare.

The only thing I'd like to see done for reparations or compensation, would be for African-Americans to be given an automatic discount for a higher education and/or more time to pay loans back.

"Why?", you say....

Only because 99.5% of all blacks have had to start from scratch, without any inheritances, insurances, or property to use as collateral. Then when you factor in the ongoing racist attitudes and prejudice, these accommodations would work as an offset.

Besides that small approximation of a leveler, blacks don't need no stinkin' help! All they should need is an open door, the proper amount of training, a good work ethic, and a decent social attitude.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:48 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times
Quote:
But black people did not enslave other black people the brutal way white people did. It was more like a team and team leader ordeal not harsh confinement
I am in no way playing down slavery being wrong, but actually most slaves were treated fairly well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies