Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 05:03 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
To me it seems like pushing for solar development would be conservative.

Why?

When the time comes that we need additional energy, the free market will provide based on a profit motive.

Government forcing one energy source over other more reliable, efficient sources is insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 05:04 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Solar Panels: Tomorrow's Toxic Waste? | Mother Jones

Just breeeeeeeeeeeathe in that environmental friendliness (just don't inhale downwind of a plant making solar panels)
Go on....

Nuclear energy requires a complex waste disposal method, natural gas requires using vast quantities of water mixed with chemicals injected deep underground, and coal requires tearing apart the Earth and the destruction of a lot of habit.

There's really not much we manufacture or get our energy from that doesn't produce negative consequences to the environment.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When they are competing against 38 cents per kWh and with all the subsidies this should not be surprising. 38 cents is more than 3 times the national average.
Since you ignored this bit of info earlier....

Solar technology keeps on improving and keeps getting cheaper.....

Old 06-19-2014, 05:06 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The whole solar enterprise is rigged, rebates from the taxpayers pay for like 60% of it. People pay $40,000 to install rooftop solar for their home, and they get a tax rebate from govenrment, then another rebate from the power company, (which comes from government). And it still takes thesepeople 10 years to break even. If they had to pay the whole cost and not leech off the taxpayers, they'd never break even.
An opportunity to improve your home and keep more of the money you earned is a bad thing?

Old 06-19-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They also believe that electric outlets are magic holes which can solve all of our problems.

Elecrtic cars, electric cars, electric cars! lol
Why do you feel the need to be dishonest about what people believe? Is is it because you have no argument otherwise?

Old 06-19-2014, 05:09 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Here's the truth.

China needs to subsidize their solar manufacturers in order to make solar panekls affordable.

The US needs to give a 30% federal tax credit on top of that.

Each state also needs to subsidize solar through SREC's or rebates in order for it to be a worthy investment.

Sounds like a poor plan for inefficient energy.

BTW.....the process of creating solar panels is very polluting and expensive.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You do know the lions share of grants and scholarships are from private money and non-profit entities, right? I guess you didn't. Go on...
For the solar industry, which we are specifically talking about? Check again.

Quote:
I know, right!

I don't think they understand that it takes oil to make panels.

Something else that goes hand in hand with solar/wind is electric cars. The carbon footprint over the life of an electric car is more than 6X the fossil fuel counterpart. It's hilarious for these Prius driving fools to believe they're green. And on top of that they'll have to replace their batteries during the life of the car; OOOPS more pollution.

I'll take my 28mpg Accord over a battery powered pig any day, and I'll be greener for it.
So because we don't have the manufacturing process and technology NOW to make non-carbon based materials..... Just f*ck it.....? That's basically what you are saying.....

You don't replace the battery in you Accord over the life of the car?

And how exactly is the carbon footprint 6x the fossil fuel counterpart.......?

Old 06-19-2014, 05:14 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,802 times
I have read that not only have the Koch brothers spent 70 million dollars to spread disinformation on climate change, but have also spent a considerable amount of money to get state legislators and state regulators to tax homeowners who use solar and other alternative energy. The Koch brothers and I am sure many other old line energy companies are doing all in their power to frustrate the growth of the alternative energy business not by good old market means but government policy.

Free enterprise and the marketplace for conservatives is apparently good for the other guy. When it comes to their enterprises, any government assistance would be appreciated.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Here's the truth.

China needs to subsidize their solar manufacturers in order to make solar panekls affordable.

The US needs to give a 30% federal tax credit on top of that.

Each state also needs to subsidize solar through SREC's or rebates in order for it to be a worthy investment.

Sounds like a poor plan for inefficient energy.
Here's the truth.... China's pollution is a national crisis and they don't have a choice but to ramp up renewable energy usage.

The free market can't solve this problem until pollution is taxed or priced in the market place.

Quote:
BTW.....the process of creating solar panels is very polluting and expensive.
And fossil fuels aren't polluting?

Old 06-19-2014, 05:22 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I have read that not only have the Koch brothers spent 70 million dollars to spread disinformation on climate change, but have also spent a considerable amount of money to get state legislators and state regulators to tax homeowners who use solar and other alternative energy. The Koch brothers and I am sure many other old line energy companies are doing all in their power to frustrate the growth of the alternative energy business not by good old market means but government policy.

Free enterprise and the marketplace for conservatives is apparently good for the other guy. When it comes to their enterprises, any government assistance would be appreciated.
I've read they kill puppies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies