Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 10:11 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,672,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Bird deaths occur on any development. there is a minor increase due to the high light intensity zone near the target. Doubt it will prove to be a big deal.

The equipment will become almost bullet proof over time. This is not difficult electronics. We know how to build this stuff. China has been cheating a bit on quality...they will either get it right or lose market share.
I'll provide the links then, since you do not seem to know what type of solar arrays I'm referring to. Coal-fired power plants do not kill birds like this, in fact some of their smokestacks are home to peregrine falcons. so what type of new unforeseen problems would even larger solar arrays like these produce?

Helping Peregrine Falcons (Wisconsin Public Service)

Death by solar farms: 71 species of birds killed, 'entire food chains' disrupted - Washington Times

A new report by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service finds that solar facilities in California are acting like “mega traps” that kill and injure birds. As a result, “entire food chains” are being disrupted.

USFWS’s National Fish and Wildlife Forensics Laboratory studied three solar farms in Southern California: Desert Sunlight, Genesis Solar and Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System (ISEGS). Two-hundred and thirty-three different birds from 71 species were found over the course of a two-year study.

World's largest solar farm is SCORCHING BIRDS that fly over it | Mail Online

Environmentalists have hit out at a giant new solar farm in the Mojave Desert as mounting evidence reveals birds flying through the extremely hot 'thermal flux' surrounding the towers are being scorched.

After years of regulatory tangles around the impact on desert wildlife, the Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System opened on Thursday but environmental groups say the nearly 350,000 gigantic mirrors are generating 1000 degree Fahrenheit temperatures which are killing and singeing birds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 10:18 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,113,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Partisan lie? LOL Whatever, so now this is political?

Just read any article promoting solar, they detail all the "dirty" aspects of coal, even you. I'm only pointing out that no form of energy is perfect, including solar and wind.
I would imagine any article promoting anything would highlight the pros, not the cons. Pointing out no form of energy is perfect is fine, just learn to do it in a way that doesn't come off as partisan and ignorant.

"Nothing is perfect, no matter how the proponents of green energy try to make people believe."

^^That simply isn't cutting it.

Quote:
...as if the mining and manufacturing and operation of solar panels on the global scale is NOT quite dirty.
Never claimed otherwise. I did claim that mining a product, only to combust it is a lot more dirty. At least ores can be recycled, although coal ash can be used as a replacement for specific types of cement.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I'll provide the links then, since you do not seem to know what type of solar arrays I'm referring to. Coal-fired power plants do not kill birds like this, in fact some of their smokestacks are home to peregrine falcons. so what type of new unforeseen problems would even larger solar arrays like these produce?

Death by solar farms: 71 species of birds killed, 'entire food chains' disrupted - Washington Times

A new report by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service finds that solar facilities in California are acting like “mega traps” that kill and injure birds. As a result, “entire food chains” are being disrupted.

USFWS’s National Fish and Wildlife Forensics Laboratory studied three solar farms in Southern California: Desert Sunlight, Genesis Solar and Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System (ISEGS). Two-hundred and thirty-three different birds from 71 species were found over the course of a two-year study.

Environmentalists have hit out at a giant new solar farm in the Mojave Desert as mounting evidence reveals birds flying through the extremely hot 'thermal flux' surrounding the towers are being scorched.

After years of regulatory tangles around the impact on desert wildlife, the Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System opened on Thursday but environmental groups say the nearly 350,000 gigantic mirrors are generating 1000 degree Fahrenheit temperatures which are killing and singeing birds.
Can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:46 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,720,646 times
The issue I see no one addressing is grid stability.....Renewables are at best a intermediate generation resource of which only a fraction of their production can be dispatched into the market. On top of that they are not really synchronized into the grid... The cannot make reactive power and only push some energy into the system. Without base load plants operating 24/7/365 ANY renewable resource will not provide immediate load response at 60 hz

Old 06-19-2014, 12:29 PM

594 posts, read 345,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I would imagine any article promoting anything would highlight the pros, not the cons. Pointing out no form of energy is perfect is fine, just learn to do it in a way that doesn't come off as partisan and ignorant.

"Nothing is perfect, no matter how the proponents of green energy try to make people believe."

^^That simply isn't cutting it.

Never claimed otherwise. I did claim that mining a product, only to combust it is a lot more dirty. At least ores can be recycled, although coal ash can be used as a replacement for specific types of cement.
And yet it's called "green energy" or "clean energy" by the proponents of wind, solar and biofules. No, they aren't trying to make people believe that wind and solar are clean, they only call it that.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleidd View Post
And yet it's called "green energy" or "clean energy" by the proponents of wind, solar and biofules. No, they aren't trying to make people believe that wind and solar are clean, they only call it that.
Well I guess if you were one of those people who didn't realize practically everything we made had harmful byproducts and processes. The difference between fossil fuels and "clean energy" is wind and solar don't emit any harmful emissions or particulate matter. Wind and solar are clean energy sources as well, since they don't emit any harmful byproducts save for manufacture of the initial solar panel and turbine. Hence the "green" or "clean" moniker.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:18 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
The issue I see no one addressing is grid stability.....Renewables are at best a intermediate generation resource of which only a fraction of their production can be dispatched into the market. On top of that they are not really synchronized into the grid... The cannot make reactive power and only push some energy into the system. Without base load plants operating 24/7/365 ANY renewable resource will not provide immediate load response at 60 hz
You really haven't been paying attention if you don't think grid stability isn't being discussed. Theres a ton of research about it, and regular discussions about it. We're a ways from it being a serious issue however.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:22 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
Quote:

The death toll reported was 233 birds. This compares to the roughly 500,000,000 killed by buildings and the 2,000,000,000 slain every year by cats.

I suspect such a problem can be much more easily dealt with than the cats.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:18 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,782,455 times
Quote:
For the solar industry, which we are specifically talking about? Check again.

So because we don't have the manufacturing process and technology NOW to make non-carbon based materials..... Just f*ck it.....? That's basically what you are saying.....

You don't replace the battery in you Accord over the life of the car?

And how exactly is the carbon footprint 6x the fossil fuel counterpart.......?
I can't argue with the absurd, nor reason with the unreasonable.

Between your inability to hold a rational conversation

Quote:
Go on.....
So go on........
Quote:
Go on....
Quote:
Don't be dumb.
Don't be dumb.
Don't be dumb.
(which makes you sound like a self trained parrot BTW) and jumping to conclusions, you can't seem to grasp what was actually said, and feel the need to challenge everything, including facts.

BTW, I am well invested in solar and LED, so you also got that wrong. Feel free to continue making your own irrational connections and assumptions. It's really quite entertaining.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Blah blah. So youre still having nothing but partisan dribble and no facts.
You need a significant capital investment to put solar on your house, could be as much or more than a low income family makes in a year so they simply cannot afford it. The subsidies are passed onto the taxpayer and the green credits are passed onto the ratepayer, anyone without one of these systems is subsidizing those that can afford it. That would include low income people.

Quote:
Most solar is being installed on a large industrial scale. Like I said, ignorance.
The larger plants also enjoy generous subsidies and because of mandates can sell that power at a rate significantly higher than coal or natural gas. For example that wind farm in Mass. ended up with a 15 year contract for about 18 cents a kWh with an annual increase of 2.5% which will put it at about 30 cents when the contract expires. That's wholesale, wholesale costs for electric or natgas is about 4 cents. The extraordinarily costs of that electric are passed onto the ratepayer. The most affected of course would be low income people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies