Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:11 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Soccer might get closer to hockey, but will remain a distant 5th behind the top 3.
I agree. It's just wishful thinking on the part of some.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:12 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
If nothing else, it was a great feel-good story. The emotions were just electric. But what a great feel-good story that whole game was. And this nation needs one right now.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:26 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yes, it is popular among 12-24 year olds. Older adults prefer football, basketball and baseball.

I forgot to include the link in my post. I believe it was either Wikipedia or something called "Soccer in the U.S."
That 12-24 group is the group that will replace older groups as they age, which they will get their kids into soccer, and so on. So I can't figure out why you won't accept that soccer is getting more popular in the US and it isn't just because Latinos, Hispanic, or Illegal Immigrants are moving here. Many of us White Americans are also fans and growing in numbers.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:44 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That 12-24 group is the group that will replace older groups as they age, which they will get their kids into soccer, and so on. So I can't figure out why you won't accept that soccer is getting more popular in the US and it isn't just because Latinos, Hispanic, or Illegal Immigrants are moving here. Many of us White Americans are also fans and growing in numbers.
Knowing his M.O. based on his other threads, it bothers him that an "un-American sport" like soccer is popular among the young and the foreigner, threatening to take over traditional "American" sports like football and baseball; when OldGlory very well knows, because I told him this twice already and it hasn't sunk in; but soccer, baseball, and football are all British sports. But, he doesn't like soccer, and I presume it is because soccer is associated with foreigners, particularly LatAms

Old 06-19-2014, 11:03 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It's kind of like the Olympics, everyone looks at track in gymnastics doe a few weeks and that's it, doesn't hurt if you win. After this is over no one will care, does anyone watch the US soccer league?

Anyway a great game and good win for the US.
Actually, the MLS is expanding quite nicely. And attendance is steady as well. Seattle averages 44,000 fans per game.

I think the reason soccer isnt as well liked in the US is because it is a regional sport and that it isnt immortalized and envied in high school and college.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:11 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Knowing his M.O. based on his other threads, it bothers him that an "un-American sport" like soccer is popular among the young and the foreigner, threatening to take over traditional "American" sports like football and baseball; when OldGlory very well knows, because I told him this twice already and it hasn't sunk in; but soccer, baseball, and football are all British sports. But, he doesn't like soccer, and I presume it is because soccer is associated with foreigners, particularly LatAms
If that's the case ten years from now he won't like the fact that in Major League Baseball, Latin Americans will account for over 50 percent of the league.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:30 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,730 times
Cycling has become a lot more popular in the UK over the last decade mainly due to people like Chris Hoy, Bradley Wiggins, Chris Froome, Mark Cavendish and a host of others who have won major competitions such as the Tour De France and a host of medals at the Olympic games in recent years.

The Tour De France will also be starting in Leeds (Yorkshire) in Northern England this year, following the success of the 2007 Tour de France which started in London, as well as the stage in Yorkshire there will also be a stage from Cambridge to London before the Tour heads back over the Channel

Le Tour Yorkshire - Grand Départ 2014

Tour de France 2014

I would actually like to see more people running, cycling and playing sport rather than just becoming ever more obese on a diet of processed food.

Last edited by Bamford; 06-20-2014 at 05:52 AM..

Old 06-20-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Doesn't mean that they will continue to favor soccer. It may be getting more popular but the reason at least in part is the huge influx of Hispanics into this country. I am sorry that you cannot except the facts that I presented.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'd appreciate it if you would stop assuming things about me. I never said it was an un-American sport just that it will never replace or come close in popularity to the sports that have been popular here for a long, long time. Doesn't matter where these sports originated. The fact is that we adopted them as our own.

What I am saying is that soccer is gaining in popularity for the most part because our Hispanic population is increasing due to immigration. I can't help the facts. Stop trying to turn this into a racist issue.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:59 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Actually, the MLS is expanding quite nicely. And attendance is steady as well. Seattle averages 44,000 fans per game.

I think the reason soccer isnt as well liked in the US is because it is a regional sport and that it isnt immortalized and envied in high school and college.
Seattle more than double's attendance of other MLS teams. MLS is here to stay, but pro soccer has a long way to go before approaching even the NHL.

The new MLS TV contract is still far behind the NHL, let alone the big 3. Soccer fever hits for a while at every Olympics or World Cup, then drops back to its natural spot --- 5th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies