Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:09 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times

Advertisements

Wonder who tickled the US patent office to take that action?????

That is the issue to be investigated. Who in government would force the US patent office, an almost unknown agency to the larger part of the populous, to go to bat for the social justice juggernaught.

Only when alpha numeric codes replace names, will there be justice in the land for the random and scattered few who feel victimized. Then someone who failed math will be offended by the numeric system.

As someone already mentioned, the slippery slope has been unleashed and the only FAIR thing to do is purge the rest of the named patents. Then trademarks and book titles, films, car, firearm and energy drink names.

Removing possession of the trademark and allowing others to infringe upon the redskin profits is flawed in that more 'redskin' products will fly off the shelves to offend more people OR the market will be so offended, the purchase of any redskin label products will be shunned.

Methinks redskin products will be now purchased as investment sports memorbelia and the false social justice victory will be celebrated all three offended complaintants.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:10 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
U.S. Patent office cancels Redskins trademark registration, says name is disparaging - The Washington Post

I don't have an issue either way, though I think it would be funny if they changed their name to Whiteskins, but this has to sting for the Redskins.

So the U.S PTO office is going to start rejecting patents and trademarks for things they consider "offensive"? I don't think that's a path they don't want to go down. What if other countries started pullilng the same stunt with our patents/trademarks?

Old 06-18-2014, 10:12 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,283 times
This has been going on for over 30 years now. I'm not offended, but obviously a lot of people are. Put it to a vote with the NFL owners. It's the name and not the emblem that people have a beef with. How hard would it be to keep the emblem and change the name to the warriors, braves, or some other non-offensive name.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,544 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
It is fake outrage, just because they go after a few teams, does not mean they are going after all the teams. Yes, this has been around for a while...everyone knows that, don't need google....sorry to dissapoint you.

If it's not fake out rage, why is the only name that has been in the new the redskins?

Your argument was that they went after no one else, yet the link I gave you obviously shows that they have gone after the entire NCAA which includes something like 3000 schools. It shows they have gone after other professional sports teams as well. now you are changing your argument to " Only one in the news", LOL

keep dodging.

And yes, you obviously did need google, because you claimed no one else had the same level of scrutiny.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:17 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Because as an evil white racist white person.

You're evil.

....and racist.

Cracker.
Hysterical!
I've been laughing all morning reading some of these threads.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:17 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,544 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You would really freakout if you understood how the Cleveland Browns got their name.

Legislative PC.... Pure freedom!!
They are named after Paul Brown.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:18 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What I find more amazing is this newfound power of the government to determine what is right/wrong and use their power to mandate changes.

Big Brother mandating Utopia...one right at a time.
nailed it.

conform, or suffer the consequences.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:20 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You would really freakout if you understood how the Cleveland Browns got their name.

Legislative PC.... Pure freedom!!

As a Cleveland Browns fan I'll chime in on this. The Cleveland Browns were named after their first legendary coach Paul Brown. When the team was formed there was a contest to name the new franchise. Initially Panthers was the name selected, however; there was a minor league football team in the area that had the rights to the name Panthers, and they threatened to sue. The next choice was to name the team after their coach, and that is what they went with. Now the Cleveland Indians on the other hand, are always under fire for their name and logo.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:20 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
So the U.S PTO office is going to start rejecting patents and trademarks for things they consider "offensive"? I don't think that's a path they don't want to go down. What if other countries started pullilng the same stunt with our patents/trademarks?
Start? It's been the law since (at least) 1905.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:23 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I this case the USPTO has the role of a court. A complaint is made and they have to review it and make a decision based on their rules and regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Not surprised but it'll be overturned on appeal. Just because six people say they're offended doesn't mean you scrap a 70 year old trademark.
That is the way courts work. One person or organization files a lawsuit and the court makes a decision based on the law - not based on popularity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies